Twinkies...gone forever?

Started by steve58, November 16, 2012, 11:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bob48

I hope that I will give geek ample chance to inspect the spikey parts of my boots - at very close quarters I may add.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Centurion40

I can like without the Twinkies.  This is what I'm going to miss:

Any time is a good time for pie.

Staggerwing

^The apple ones were the bestest ever! I haven't had one in a quarter century or so. Also, is it my faulty memory or did they make a chocolate filled version?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

I'll be okay without Twinkies. I consumed several lifetimes worth when I was 16.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

the judge has ordered them into mediation before they can sell off the company (or its parts).

looks like the union might get a do-over, but if the bakers negotiate a better deal than the other unions, what happens when those others decide to renegotiate to the same deal as the bakers and suddenly they're out of business again for spiraling labor costs.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 19, 2012, 08:08:25 PM
the judge has ordered them into mediation before they can sell off the company (or its parts).

looks like the union might get a do-over, but if the bakers negotiate a better deal than the other unions, what happens when those others decide to renegotiate to the same deal as the bakers and suddenly they're out of business again for spiraling labor costs.

Poison Twinkies from China?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Yeah. The creamy white stuff inside will be Melamine frosting...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 19, 2012, 07:58:34 PM
^The apple ones were the bestest ever! I haven't had one in a quarter century or so. Also, is it my faulty memory or did they make a chocolate filled version?

They did!!
Any time is a good time for pie.

bayonetbrant

And interesting perspective on Hostess from George Will - in part comparing Hostess to GM

QuoteAmazingly, Washington did not offer Hostess a bailout. This discriminatory policy may be a constitutional violation — denial of equal protection of the laws.

Since the onset of the financial crisis, the government has decided that some SIFIs are TBTF — some systemically important financial institutions are too big to fail. Why, any fair-minded person will ask, was Hostess not TBTF?

Granted, it was not big in the technical, crabbed, hairsplitting, narrow-minded way that "big" is normally understood, as a boring matter of mere size. It was, however, big in what matters most — in boomers' minds. They fondly remember opening their Roy Rogers or Hopalong Cassidy or Davy Crockett lunchboxes at school and finding Twinkies nestled next to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches made of Wonder Bread (another endangered Hostess species). Stendhal said that the only way ice cream could be better is if it were a sin. Boomers, a generation of food scolds, became adults who considered Twinkies and other sugary things sinful. They should be shedding scalding tears of remorse.

Anyway, why GM and not Hostess? The Troubled Assets Relief Program, a.k.a. TARP, was passed to rescue financial institutions. But Washington reasoned: "What's legality among cronies?" So soon TARP was succoring GM, which was not a financial institution. It was not even a car company. It was a health-care provider unsuccessfully trying to sell cars fast enough to generate enough revenue to pay health benefits for its employees and approximately twice as many retirees.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

maybe they werent offered a bailout because of the first bitches ladys fat campaign.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Longdan

Sometimes I do not want to be seen with you guys.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.