Breaking: Petraeus Resigns

Started by LongBlade, November 09, 2012, 03:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on November 16, 2012, 03:55:07 PM
Like Fred Flintstone.

No kidding. A brontosaurus steak sounds pretty good right about now.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: LongBlade on November 27, 2012, 08:55:40 AM
Guess who just lost her diplomatic impunity.

Freudian slip, or bad pun-ity?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 27, 2012, 09:27:04 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on November 27, 2012, 08:55:40 AM
Guess who just lost her diplomatic impunity.

Freudian slip, or bad pun-ity?

I can't remember the exact phrase she tried to invoke when she called for help, but it wasn't "immunity." I think it was "impunity." Yes, it was deliberate ;)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: LongBlade on November 27, 2012, 09:29:06 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 27, 2012, 09:27:04 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on November 27, 2012, 08:55:40 AM
Guess who just lost her diplomatic impunity.
Freudian slip, or bad pun-ity?
I can't remember the exact phrase she tried to invoke when she called for help, but it wasn't "immunity." I think it was "impunity." Yes, it was deliberate ;)



Quote from: The article LongBlade linked in his post
"I am an honorary consul general," Kelley tells police on a recording of the call. "... I have inviolability. They should not be on my property. I don't know if you want to get diplomatic, uh, protection involved as well."

;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Longdan

Given the circumstances Inviolability is pretty funny.
I imagine it would help in prison.  Too bad civilians can't
be disciplined for zipper control issues. (I know they can
in circumstances but you know what I mean.... I hope.... before
you unleash the hounds.)  Anyway I am sure there are a few
senior officers wishing she had been done their biography.
"I wouldn't have gotten caught...."
cheers
digni enim sunt interdicunt

LongBlade

Just ran across an interesting article that attempts to sum up Petraeus's performance in the two wars he oversaw.

It's an interesting read, if not exactly uplifting.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2012/12/17/121217crat_atlarge_filkins?currentPage=all
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Longdan

Makes you wonder about who was right and who was wrong
for the last ten years or so doesn't it?  I direct this at the
reflective types of course.  You Other Guys, yeah you were
right whatever..back to your deep thinking.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

LongBlade

Quote from: Longdan on December 10, 2012, 04:15:57 PM
Makes you wonder about who was right and who was wrong
for the last ten years or so doesn't it?  I direct this at the
reflective types of course.  You Other Guys, yeah you were
right whatever..back to your deep thinking.

I wasn't right?

This is causing me to rethink everything.

My Axe deodorant won't get me more chicks?

My laptop gaming rig won't help me pwn everyone in Black Ops II?

My Army Men pjs aren't the epitome of geek-chic?

Thanks, Dan, for this epiphany. I don't see how I was ever going to go on living that lie.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

actually your Army Man pjs are the epitome of geek-chic.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 10, 2012, 04:25:20 PM
actually your Army Man pjs are the epitome of geek-chic.

Thanks. Nice try, but I know better now that Dan has shown me the light.

I'm starting to think that Canadian Bacon isn't bacon. Or Canadian!

Bisquick might not be the best method for making pancakes and biscuits!

Maybe pork isn't the other white meat!

I feel so...so...liberated.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

I thought Gus was the other white meat.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Steelgrave

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 10, 2012, 05:59:00 PM
I thought Gus was the other white meat.

Well, maybe if you are really, really trying to cut back on portion size......