Main Menu

Almost there...

Started by TheCommandTent, December 04, 2012, 08:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TheCommandTent

QuoteIt keeps going ... and going ... and going ....

NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft, launched in 1977 and now the most distant human-made object from the sun, at about 11 billion miles, has entered a new region at the edge of the solar system it is close to exiting forever.

Scientists have dubbed this region the "magnetic highway" and it's the last stop before interstellar space, or the space between stars.

"Although Voyager 1 still is inside the sun's environment, we now can taste what it's like on the outside because the particles are zipping in and out on this magnetic highway," said Edward Stone, Voyager project scientist based at the California Institute of Technology, Pasadena. "We believe this is the last leg of our journey to interstellar space. Our best guess is it's likely just a few months to a couple years away."

"The new region isn't what we expected, but we've come to expect the unexpected from Voyager."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/12/03/at-far-side-solar-system-voyager-1-discovers-new-region-space/#ixzz2E8VAu1Yq

Voyager is older than I am so I find this so fascinating that it is still going and transmitting data.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

I am older than Voyager and I still transmit data.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

Are you monitored by NASA scientists?  Using the most up to date equipment.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on December 04, 2012, 08:22:05 PM
I am older than Voyager and I still transmit data.

Even more amazing when you consider the stubby antenna you use.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

Quote from: LongBlade on December 04, 2012, 08:29:54 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 04, 2012, 08:22:05 PM
I am older than Voyager and I still transmit data.

Even more amazing when you consider the stubby antenna you use.

Ouch!  :o

Gusington

My antenna is real and spectacular.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

LOL

Wondered when you'd see that :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Steelgrave

LMAO to the whole damn thread!   ;D

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Steelgrave on December 04, 2012, 10:59:59 PM
LMAO to the whole damn thread!   ;D

I know I should have expect this when I started it.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

Cool.  I'm always fascinated with our space probes and what they might run into as they enter the greater galaxy. 





Quote from: TheCommandTent on December 04, 2012, 11:21:44 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on December 04, 2012, 10:59:59 PM
LMAO to the whole damn thread!   ;D

I know I should have expect this when I started it.
You should really expect it in just about every thread that gets started here.  C'mon now!  :P 


"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Smuckatelli

Quote from: Martok on December 05, 2012, 09:40:58 AM
Cool.  I'm always fascinated with our space probes and what they might run into as they enter the greater galaxy. 

There is nothing fascinating about a sigmoidoscopy.

W8taminute

Good article.  The comment about Voyager being on it's last leg of the journey before reaching interstellar space made me feel giddy.   8)

It would be interesting to see if at that extreme range if we could get some data on interstellar space.  That would be a scientific first I think.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Martok

Quote from: Smuckatelli on December 05, 2012, 10:03:20 AM
Quote from: Martok on December 05, 2012, 09:40:58 AM
Cool.  I'm always fascinated with our space probes and what they might run into as they enter the greater galaxy. 

There is nothing fascinating about a sigmoidoscopy.
I knew someone would make that joke.  Didn't expect it from you, though! 


"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Smuckatelli

Quote from: Martok on December 05, 2012, 10:20:56 AM
Quote from: Smuckatelli on December 05, 2012, 10:03:20 AM
Quote from: Martok on December 05, 2012, 09:40:58 AM
Cool.  I'm always fascinated with our space probes and what they might run into as they enter the greater galaxy. 

There is nothing fascinating about a sigmoidoscopy.
I knew someone would make that joke.  Didn't expect it from you, though!

You probably didn't get the memo........I used to shave people's pubes.....

Anywoo......the Voyager news is making me want to watch the Star Trek movie...can't remember the name but it was about 'V' ger....