Emergency! Is Wargame: European Escalation worth it for single player?

Started by Huw the Poo, December 21, 2012, 04:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Huw the Poo

I've wanted this game for ages and it's not going to be any cheaper than it is for the next 20 hours but I have very limited funds.  I'm not averse to playing online but I'm primarily a solo player.  I'm not looking for a tough-as-nails challenge, just an AI that isn't a complete idiot (and doesn't cheat).  Do I need to buy this game NOW or not?

Thanks in advance.

Arctic Blast

I don't know what it was, but myself and this game just didn't click at all. I found the entire experience a bit...flat. Not sure what it was that didn't work for me.

republic

I'm just the opposite, I really enjoyed it.  It is a great blend of simplicity and realism.  To me, its akin to a slightly simpler Men of War series game.

LongBlade

I played it for about three or four scenarios then got a bit bored. But I can be extremely choosy with my games.

I believe JH really got a kick out of it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grim.Reaper

I never fully got into it, but I believe I got enough out of it to certainly justify a $9 purchase....I think it was worth that just to see the slick user interface in action...

Huw the Poo

I'm already sold on the concept of the game and all that, but I'd appreciate any comments about the single player mode.  As long as the AI isn't braindead I'll buy it.  Thoughts?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 21, 2012, 07:04:42 PM
I'm already sold on the concept of the game and all that, but I'd appreciate any comments about the single player mode.  As long as the AI isn't braindead I'll buy it.  Thoughts?

I am not a great RTS player, but the AI kicked my butt very often....I forget what mission I ended with, but I got to a point where I just couldn't beat the AI.

RooksBailey

What about skirmish mode?  I am not much for scripted campaigns, but I like the idea of being able to create a skirmish game against the AI.  How well does it play as a single player game in that regard?
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

jomni

Finished the European campaign. Stuck in the Russian campaign.  There will be moments where you will get frustrated because of the crazy enemy unit spam.


PanzersEast

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 21, 2012, 08:10:58 PM
Sod it.  I'm going to buy it.

Same thing I did a while back.... overall the campaign is ok, but the skirmish mod is fun to kick the tires with every now and then.  I still play it from time to time and enjoy it. 


PE

Huw the Poo

Sheesh...it's a 7.7GB download.  C'mon, I just wanna play!

Thanks for the comments by the way, everyone.  I'm looking forward to this now.  I'm going to conquer all of Europe with a single tank! \o/

DoctorQuest

I recently tried to get back into this game and I find it extremely frustrating. The game would almost be PERFECT if they would, at least, remove the stupid locked units crap and give you a few more editing options. As it stands I play it for a couple of hours, get pissed and uninstall it.

I've heard later games by this team have a better basic design. I'm leery of throwing any more money their way.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Nefaro

Quote from: DoctorQuest on June 13, 2015, 02:15:49 PM


I've heard later games by this team have a better basic design.


Later ones have more to them, and are considered by most to be superior.

jomni

Wargame Air Land Battle and Red Dragon have better Single player experience.  Especially because there is a strategic map and persistent OOB for the AI as well.
Wargame EE is just a series of missions were the AI does unit spamming.