Main Menu

Hatred

Started by Jarhead0331, June 02, 2015, 02:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

Uwe Boll did some movies (Rampage, Assault On Wall Street) that are pretty much about massacring large numbers of people (Rampage moreso). Yes, I sat through both of them. Why? I don't know. I might occasionally harbor a secret desire to go all Car Wars on the idiocy on the roads around me, but I'd never actually do that. I was actually surprised more than anything that an Uwe Boll movie kept my attention for more than 5 minutes.

I think a major part of the appeal of this kind of thing is how horror movies appeal to us...slasher flicks, serial killer movies, that kind of thing. Sure, it's not everyone's cup of tea, and sure, horror aficionados are not wanting to go out and emulate this, but there's something about putting yourself in that mindset that is...I don't want to say appealing, for fear of sounding like a sociopath. If you understand where I'm coming from, then you understand what I mean. If you have empathy, then mass killings, you just don't get it how someone can go postal like that. Maybe you want to understand why. I don't know.

From the standpoint of this game, I've heard bad reviews, saying how buggy it is and also how repetitive it is. If there's not more to it than just mowing down people randomly, it's not my cup of tea. If there's a point to it, then that MIGHT be appealing (the point, not the mowing down).

It's difficult to elucidate thoughts on a game like this. If you say you want to try it, some will see you as a psycho. If you say not, you're falling into the larger crowd most likely. Personally I'm not interested, just because of the poor/mixed reviews I've seen so far.

For the record, I played Postal and Postal 2 for maybe 10 total minutes between the two of them, just to see what the big deal was. I didn't like either of them.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 03, 2015, 01:20:27 PM
From the standpoint of this game, I've heard bad reviews, saying how buggy it is and also how repetitive it is. If there's not more to it than just mowing down people randomly, it's not my cup of tea. If there's a point to it, then that MIGHT be appealing (the point, not the mowing down).

FWIW, I have not really noticed any game stopping bugs. It is certainly repetitive, however, and I find myself playing in very short bursts.

Its not really just running around gunning unarmed people. There is a strong law enforcement response and serveral civilians are armed, as well. Furthermore, civilians have a habit of sometimes picking up weapons from the fallen, so there is always actual combat taking place.

Again, I'm playing the game more as an experiment, and not because I'm deriving any satisfaction from it. I also am impressed by the physics and the destructible environments. In many ways, it is an artistic game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Swatter

I never said games like Hatred should be banned, I simply said I would never create such a game (from a developers perspective). I do think it is wrong to make games like Hatred, but that's just my opinion. I think developers are definitely stepping into a grey area potentially fraught with dire consequences for shock value and the money that draws.

I remember watching a movie some years ago (forget the name) where a kid gets a computer game by mail from a less than reputable source (turns out to be some sort of supernatural bad guy). The game was some underground murder simulator, which explained the shady vendor. Anyway the kid boots up the game and plays a mission where you sneak into a guys house and kill him. The strange twist comes when the kid's neighbor (he finds out the next day) was murdered and he begins have flashbacks of having committed the crime. Due to supernatural forces in the case of this movie, the line between fantasy and reality become blurred to the point where he couldn't tell the difference. Was he just playing a game or was he really out there killing people?

In the future, perhaps 20-30 years, extremely realistic simulations will probably be commonplace. Its not far-fetched to suggest the above scenario could happen due technological means. Even with more prosaic technology, I know gaming binges can seriously screw with your  mind (any binge really).

The only thing I know for sure is that there will be more massacres where innocent children will be gunned down by high powered rifles. To me, our culture really needs to get a grip on its violent undercurrents, but how you would do that I don't know.

Father Ted

Quote from: Swatter on June 03, 2015, 02:09:03 PM
In the future, perhaps 20-30 years, extremely realistic simulations will probably be commonplace. Its not far-fetched to suggest the above scenario could happen due technological means

Already happening...

spelk


Jarhead0331

#50
Quote from: spelk on June 04, 2015, 02:18:32 AM
Eurogamer's take on Hatred.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-04-hatred-review

While most of the reviewers criticisms of the actual gameplay are valid, I think he is being overly harsh in his prose, most probably because of his obvious dislike of the concept. I expect most reviews will read like this one, but more so because of an inherent disdain for the subject matter and what the developers may or may not be trying to accomplish. I mean, he seems to be attacking the developers personally through his overt dislike of the game. The manner in which the reviewer belittles the game and the developers, in my opinion, betrays the fact that the review is based more on a subjective aversion to the game's concept, not the actual gameplay itself.

In essence, It's an average twin stick shooter with some interesting environmental, physics and graphics effects. Overall, I'd rate it 5 out of 10. I don't see any reason for the negative hyperbole though. From a gameplay perspective...I've played worse.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Arctic Blast

I think part of it is based on the antagonistic way the devs marketed this thing. They jumped full force on the 'CONTROVERSY!' button because they seemed to realize that the game itself was pretty bog standard. That included a lot of shots at games press and how the game was 'too real' or 'too much' to be reviewed fairly, which whipped up the usual brigade of Internet idiots into a froth. Now the game is out, it turns out that it's nothing close to 'too much', and it's time for return fire.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 04, 2015, 06:27:53 AM
The manner in which the reviewer belittles the game and the developers, in my opinion, betrays the fact that the review is based more on a subjective aversion to the game's concept, not the actual gameplay itself.

I expected no different from Eurogamer.