Main Menu

Solar Roadways

Started by TheCommandTent, May 31, 2014, 07:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

GDS_Starfury

in the same line of thinking, horse trails had to become modern roads at some point.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


bayonetbrant

Seems like it would be easy enough to start small with these and test the concept - replace a bunch of playground courts (tennis, hoops, etc) with these panels and see how it works out with the combination of reprogrammable lighting (switch basketball courts from full-size to multiple half-size) and power generation from those courts, since no overhead trees = maximum possible sunlight.
I can think of at least 2-3 places here in town that would be great test-beds for the concept.

After that, maybe you could get some big arena to give it a try with their parking lots - especially if the power generated from the parking lots might make a huge difference in running the arena.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Centurion40

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 02, 2014, 05:33:19 AM
Seems like it would be easy enough to start small with these and test the concept - replace a bunch of playground courts (tennis, hoops, etc) with these panels and see how it works out with the combination of reprogrammable lighting (switch basketball courts from full-size to multiple half-size) and power generation from those courts, since no overhead trees = maximum possible sunlight.
I can think of at least 2-3 places here in town that would be great test-beds for the concept.

After that, maybe you could get some big arena to give it a try with their parking lots - especially if the power generated from the parking lots might make a huge difference in running the arena.

Bingo.
Any time is a good time for pie.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: endfire79 on June 01, 2014, 11:50:00 PM
Interesting concept.  I don't want to be a total skeptic, but it sounds like a maintenance nightmare, until maybe 95% of vehicles were elec driven.

FAQ's:  http://www.solarroadways.com/faq.shtml#faqTraction

But is it any worse then maintaining any other big source of electricity? I mean really? We STILL don't know what we're going to do with spent nuclear fuel. Not trying to figure out how do to solar is just stupid. We may have some fits and starts but we absolutely have to figure it out eventually. This is the best idea I've seen so far.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

endfire79

I said I didn't want to be a total skeptic :)  Agreed about the horse trails analogy.

I agree, certainly worth to check this out and  test out on a smaller scale, and see what can be improved and ironed out (Not just swallow something because of a slick presentation). 

Stretching it out a bit, I can imagine a 'smart' highway telling the Sunday driver on the left lane to move to the right unless he's passing  ;)
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

Centurion40

I'd like to see if tested out on people's driveways and an outdoor basketball court or two.  In southern and northern climes.

I could see Vegas making good use of this technology.
Any time is a good time for pie.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Centurion40 on June 02, 2014, 01:40:05 PM
I'd like to see if tested out on people's driveways and an outdoor basketball court or two.  In southern and northern climes.

I could see Vegas making good use of this technology.

Absolutely agree. We need some proofs of concept and those are excellent suggestions.

And what would look more like Tron than Vegas?  :coolsmiley:
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

endfire79

I say we start with Gus's driveway.  Pimp that up, and he'll be Ace Rothstein in no time.  Star can be Nicky Santoro.  ;)
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

Centurion40

Quote from: endfire79 on June 02, 2014, 02:09:10 PM
I say we start with Gus's driveway.  Pimp that up, and he'll be Ace Rothstein in no time.  Star can be Nicky Santoro.  ;)

Suit-up my driveway and set me up to be the next Steve Wynn, please!! O0
Any time is a good time for pie.

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Barthheart

Cool! Good for them and Sandpoint for taking the initiative to test the product.

It will be interesting to see, via the web cam, how well they deal with winter weather...

Sir Slash

Great idea but where you gonna drive at.... NIGHT?  :uglystupid2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)