Main Menu

Solar Roadways

Started by TheCommandTent, May 31, 2014, 07:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TheCommandTent

So I have been seeing news about this showing up all over the place but not here yet so I thought I would share.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways





There are so many cool things about this concept and the possibilities are great.  However, being the cynic this is one of those to good to be true type concepts.  I would imagine the cost being prohibitive and the maintenance to be burdensome.  But still this is such a awesome sci-fi looking concept.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

It does sound too good to be true, but it would be freakin' awesome if they somehow pulled it off. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Silent Disapproval Robot

And I'm sure with car GPS's, we'll get to pay a per kilometre fee for the privilege of driving on them.

DoctorQuest

We will have to do this eventually. We will wait until it's ALMOST too late (like humans always do) but at some point it will be come enconomically feasible relative to the cost of other energy sources.

I am going to call these folks when I need a new driveway. :)
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Staggerwing

If you can drive trucks over this stuff why aren't entire roofs made of it too?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 31, 2014, 02:57:40 PM
If you can drive trucks over this stuff why aren't entire roofs made of it too?

That would be in my plans for it. Might be weight. One complaint of solar panels is their fragile nature. Having ones that can stand up to midwestern storms would be great here in Nebraska.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

eyebiter

.
#6
.

Staggerwing

If you covered them with numerous replaceable polycarbonate shields then small hail would be no problem and even larger hail might dent the covers over time but you could selectively swap in new shields over the collectors on an as-need basis.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Staggerwing

BTW, Eyebiter- what is your avatar clip from?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 01, 2014, 07:30:34 AM
BTW, Eyebiter- what is your avatar clip from?

Mirths last girlfriend.   :knuppel2:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Mr. Bigglesworth

I thought Mirth liked the rolly polly ride the jello type.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

eyebiter

.
#11
.

GDS_Starfury

that appeals to me on so many different levels.   :2funny:

for those that don't know, Eduard makes so sick model kits and were the pioneers of photo etching, resign parts and decals.  the kits are usually fantastic and the detail is incredible.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


GDS_Starfury

and I'd shtup the blonde in a heart beat.  O:-)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


endfire79

Interesting concept.  I don't want to be a total skeptic, but it sounds like a maintenance nightmare, until maybe 95% of vehicles were elec driven.

FAQ's:  http://www.solarroadways.com/faq.shtml#faqTraction



"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."