Securom and SafeDisc DRM Not Welcome on Windows 10

Started by Shelldrake, August 17, 2015, 03:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbmike

Quote from: gameleaper on August 18, 2015, 01:14:17 AM
I just read there is an alienware high end SteamBox, looks like an xmass gift to myself

The Alienware Alpha. I have on myself and love it. If you do get one I highly recommend getting a SSD to replace the regular hard drive. Also, I've read some of the new models won't let you have the option to switch to Windows if you want to (in case you need a desktop as well).
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Ian C

Quote from: Nefaro on August 17, 2015, 04:41:39 PM
Quote from: Ian C on August 17, 2015, 04:09:18 PM
So to play the games we paid for legitimately, we have to resort to using an illegal crack which likely involves searching through infected sites for a potentially infected .exe?




Just one of the results of DRM.  Even if it's not too buggy by itself, there will always be possible compatibility issues for that crap in the future.

At least there is an option, of sorts.  It's nobody's fault but the publisher who put the DRM on in the first place AFAIC.

So it seems the only way to 'future proof' our purchases with DRM is to 'invest' in a no-cd crack?. Morally, I have no issues with that, seeing as I buy all my games legitimately. If I choose to alter the game .exe, then that's a breach of the EULA, not the law?

JasonPratt

I continue to be Win Ten Free!  >:D

(Though most older SecuRom titles are available for rebuy, sometimes at deep discounts, on GoG nowadays anyway.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

Quote from: Ian C on August 18, 2015, 07:57:19 AM
So it seems the only way to 'future proof' our purchases with DRM is to 'invest' in a no-cd crack?. Morally, I have no issues with that, seeing as I buy all my games legitimately. If I choose to alter the game .exe, then that's a breach of the EULA, not the law?

I also continue to wonder how "future proof" my Steam purchases are.  :-\
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Greybriar

Quote from: bbmike on August 18, 2015, 11:04:13 AM
I also continue to wonder how "future proof" my Steam purchases are.  :-\

That would appear to be a cause for concern. Particularly since many games on Steam have their own DRM in addition to whatever DRM Steam uses for the title.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

ArizonaTank

I don't think there are any good solutions.  Let's just hope GoG continues to thrive, and keeps their portfolio up to date.   
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

Quote from: Ian C on August 18, 2015, 07:57:19 AM


So it seems the only way to 'future proof' our purchases with DRM is to 'invest' in a no-cd crack?. Morally, I have no issues with that, seeing as I buy all my games legitimately. If I choose to alter the game .exe, then that's a breach of the EULA, not the law?


Yup.  EULA territory.  Publishers put anything they want into EULAs so take that as it is - companies making their own rules that may or may not stand up to legal scrutiny or procedures.

Remember when one game company added the clause that they will "own your eternal soul" if you agree to their EULA?  To make a point about game companies' increasingly ridiculous EULAs and DRM, of course.  Made a brilliant point.  They removed that shortly afterward, of course.  ;D

I don't have any qualms about circumventing such things in order to get something I own working properly.  Shouldn't have been crippled with the junk in the first place.  :knuppel2:


OJsDad

I remember playing games on my Atari 800XL, others played on Commodores.  Heck, I'll go back to my first computer, a Sinclair ZX81.  I'm pretty sure they don't make those system anymore.   Anyone still games on 5 1/4" floppys they cannot play because they cannot find a drive for that size disk anymore.   I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked that given enough time, you're current software will not run on newer OS's and hardware. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Huw the Poo

Actually, it's perfectly possible to play all those old games, you don't even need the original hardware any more.

Also your comparison is somewhat disingenuous.  You're comparing today's games to games that are literally decades old.  This latest development means that in certain scenarios even GTA4 can't be played; hardly an ancient game.

I'll never understand why people defend DRM.  It confers precisely zero benefit to anybody, including those who purport to gain from it, meanwhile it can and does make life harder for paying customers.  It's utterly indefensible.

OJsDad

Interesting.  I didn't know if someone still had their old disks from Atari and Commodore they could load them on their Windows machine.

As for defending DRM, I'm not.  My point is valid though.  Given time and your current library of software may be unusable do to lack of hardware and or OS support. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

gameleaper

Quote from: bbmike on August 18, 2015, 05:20:48 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on August 18, 2015, 01:14:17 AM
I just read there is an alienware high end SteamBox, looks like an xmass gift to myself

The Alienware Alpha. I have on myself and love it. If you do get one I highly recommend getting a SSD to replace the regular hard drive. Also, I've read some of the new models won't let you have the option to switch to Windows if you want to (in case you need a desktop as well).

thanks bb I would like an SSD version too.