Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)

Started by fran, January 18, 2014, 03:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 20, 2014, 08:16:19 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2014, 03:57:33 AM
I don't see why they can't patch EE and ALB to bring their engines current with RD.
I can't see why they would want to - from a business perspective anyway. Doing it with no backward compatibility means potentially more sales - not just from people wanting the newer game, but from the people (like me) who gave up on it because it was simply too fast.

Big win for them not upgrading the old games - though you could argue not from a customer perspective. But then they could always say it's just not feasible - too many changes in the new engine that just wouldn't fit in the old one...simple "get out" clause.

I disagree. If they patched this feature people who did not buy the original games because they were too frenetic now might give them a shot. At the same time, prior fans would buy the new game for the expanded content and features. Its a win win from my perspective.

Some developers do like to make some decisions for the benefit of the fans. Seriously, sometimes you guys are so negative. Don't worry, man. Be happy. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2014, 08:26:55 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 20, 2014, 08:16:19 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2014, 03:57:33 AM
I don't see why they can't patch EE and ALB to bring their engines current with RD.
I can't see why they would want to - from a business perspective anyway. Doing it with no backward compatibility means potentially more sales - not just from people wanting the newer game, but from the people (like me) who gave up on it because it was simply too fast.

Big win for them not upgrading the old games - though you could argue not from a customer perspective. But then they could always say it's just not feasible - too many changes in the new engine that just wouldn't fit in the old one...simple "get out" clause.

I disagree. If they patched this feature people who did not buy the original games because they were too frenetic now might give them a shot. At the same time, prior fans would buy the new game for the expanded content and features. Its a win win from my perspective.

Some developers do like to make some decisions for the benefit of the fans. Seriously, sometimes you guys are so negative. Don't worry, man. Be happy.

This right here! I am not going to buy this game if the slow rate of play isnt backwards compatable. Just not interested in playing with 1970s Chinese units. I would buy soley for that function. The inailitu to slow down the game IS THE ONE REASON I don't play ALB or EE...only reason
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

RooksBailey

Wow, this is great news!  While I have learned to do my best with this clickfest, a slow-down would be greatly appreciated! 

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 18, 2014, 10:30:31 AM
also meant to ask, do we have any rough estimates as to a release date in 2014?

I saw in an interview that they were shooting for March.  But as the dev said in the same interview, they originally shot for a March release of ALB and wound up having it slip to May.   So.....

"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: RooksBailey on January 20, 2014, 04:29:19 PM
Wow, this is great news!  While I have learned to do my best with this clickfest, a slow-down would be greatly appreciated! 

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 18, 2014, 10:30:31 AM
also meant to ask, do we have any rough estimates as to a release date in 2014?

I saw in an interview that they were shooting for March.  But as the dev said in the same interview, they originally shot for a March release of ALB and wound up having it slip to May.   So.....

Thanks for the info on release date....whether March or May, still not that far off, was originally thinking end of year.  Unless I missed it, will there be some kind of early access or beta opportunities?

RooksBailey

I haven't heard anything mentioned about a public beta, but they did conduct one for ALB for those who pre-ordered.  So I would expect the same.  Dragon Rising will be one the exceptions where I break my "no pre-orders" rule.  I trust Eugen after ALB.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

GDS_Starfury

I dont know...
after some of the RTS's that Ive spent untold hours playing the Wargame series just isn't that frantic to me.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


RooksBailey

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 20, 2014, 09:37:23 PM
I dont know...
after some of the RTS's that Ive spent untold hours playing the Wargame series just isn't that frantic to me.

I shudder to think about that!   :D 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Skoop

I don't get why they can't pause in single player.  If they are going to try to accommodate the SP people why stop at slow down, why not go all the way and add pause to give orders.  And while they are at it, how about extend the time limits.  I get that this game is meant for MP, but it could be even better in SP if they would add these 2 things.

Apocalypse 31

#24
Quote from: Skoop on January 21, 2014, 02:29:34 AM
I don't get why they can't pause in single player.  If they are going to try to accommodate the SP people why stop at slow down, why not go all the way and add pause to give orders.  And while they are at it, how about extend the time limits.  I get that this game is meant for MP, but it could be even better in SP if they would add these 2 things.

Personally, the 20 minute timer for campaign battles is just about as bad as the sudden death trigger in Flashpoint Campaigns.  I'll never understand the developer logic that PREVENTS people from playing their games.

Hopefully Eugen will bring some much-needed changes to the campaign. I think it's on track, but it needs more improvements; 20 minute timer needs to go, battlefields need persistent damage. Hell, just copy Close Combat...

RooksBailey

The 20 minute time limit is one of the reasons I don't play the campaign but instead play skirmish matches against the AI.  You can configure the length of the match up to an hour.  And - another benefit of the skirmish system - unlike the campaign, you can actually replay all the action and watch the battle unfold in detail later.

Eugen did screw up with the campaign AFAIAC.  The whole thing just seems rushed compared to the skirmish/MP portion.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2014, 07:18:01 AM
Quote from: Toonces on January 20, 2014, 04:22:49 AM
I didn't know if any avatar could be awesomer than Val Kilmer in Top Gun, but you nailed it Jarhead.  Totally epic, dude.   8)

I've always loved Quint. Epic character.  8)

The characters were the reason that movie was so good.  Especially him.