Wolfenstein: New Order

Started by Jarhead0331, May 23, 2014, 11:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

This one is surprisingly good in a few unsuspecting ways. The game seems to have found a really nice balance between old school shooters and features demanded by modern gamers. The weapons feel great to use and the combat is brutal and violent. On top of it, you're killing nazis so the violence is very satisfying. The graphics and physics are impressive and the story is rather engrossing. It is pieced together with frequent cut scenes that graphically have amazing detail in characters, especially facial features. The voice acting is very good, as well.

The original wolfenstein was the first AAA fps that started it all for the genre. It was great then, but this latest version shows just how far these games have come.

Anyway, it is an expensive game, but I do believe it is a game I will finish and probably play through at least twice, since there are branching plot lines. So, I'm comfortable I'll get my money's worth.

If you're looking for a new shooter, give this one a shot.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Tpek

#1
Sadly as a Steam-only game, it's another victim of Steam's ever increasing apartheid policies to limit the availability and pricing of games outside the U.S.
It appears only people in North America and Europe can play it so far.
As someone from "Rest of the World", I am completely blocked from purchasing it via Steam or using a code from another site to get it.

Not the first time I've seen this happen on Steam mind you :(

EDIT: Or maybe I should just get it on the PS4, where there is no Steam, and thus it is available.

Grim.Reaper

Thanks JH, I wondered about this game....at some point I likely will pick up, but not sure I can get the full price use of it since very few FPS I finish.....with the exception of Sniper Elite 2:)

Gusington

It looks absolutely fantastic...are there RPG elements or is it a 'pure' shooter?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

spelk

Quote from: Gusington on May 24, 2014, 11:19:45 AM
It looks absolutely fantastic...are there RPG elements or is it a 'pure' shooter?

I have it on the PS4, and it does look fantastic. Although in a hyper-real gamey sort of way, rather than a "that cloth looks like cloth" Killzone kind of way.

It's quite straight forward, although it does have a lot of nice touches in terms of the story, and the Fallout 3 inspired "heavy on the pickups" routine. Every other step you take your mashing the pick up ammo, pick up armour button. In a game as ultimately shallow as Wolfenstein, they introduce characters with depth, and make you care for/about them. Which is something most of the COD's and BF's don't seem to manage.

The RPG stuff seems very streamlined, in fact how you use your weapons and do take-downs seems to confer what perks open up to you. So use a knife and stealthily back stab your way around and you'll gain scout like perks. Wield two Assault Rifles and blow the shit out of everything and you'll get Assault perks. I haven't seen much in the way of a choice presented in the menus. Its sort of an unlock system based on how you play with the tools presented.

So far, its got some nice features, that don't interfere with the Nazi killing.




Gusington

No one here would appreciate anything that messed with Nazi-killin'.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TacticalWargames

Really enjoying the single player game. During development I never gave it the time of day, thinking it would be rubbish. Pleasantly surprised.

Gusington

How many hours long is the single player campaign?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on May 29, 2014, 10:51:47 AM
How many hours long is the single player campaign?

Estimates vary, but the consensus is that it is much longer than your typical FPS these days. I've heard generally between 10-16 hours. So far, I'm loving the story and somehow, they have really managed to make you care for the characters very quickly.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

How far in are you? Do the features and gameplay, etc. warrant the price for you?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

its like you can see his resolve starting to crumble

like a Hollywood earthquake when someone sees a puff of moving concrete in a wall and a little bit of dust floats down

Gusington

My games backlog lords over me. However every now and then something special is released that jumps to the front of the line. In spite of that though, my mama never allows me to pay full price for anything. See how it goes back and forth?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

lol - wheres the new Rome II campaign you were all frothy about?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on May 29, 2014, 11:06:44 AM
How far in are you? Do the features and gameplay, etc. warrant the price for you?

I've got  a few hours in and still feel like I'm pretty early on in the story. $60 is a high price for a PC game, but I am really enjoying it so I have no regrets.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

I start the Hannibal at the Gates campaign as Carthage tonight/tomorrow. But this new Wolfenstein has certainly primed my pump. I didn't realize it was going to be released so soon...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd