Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trek

Did someone say something about eating crow? That's just what I'm doing now. It's OK though it sorta' tastes like chicken! I just reinstalled SC a few days ago and after not playing the game for six months I'm finding some definite improvements. I can swap my weapon load-outs and use my surplus purchased weapons with ease. My ships will now show up in my hangar upon request.  On my first navigation down to a planet I ended up in the middle of nowhere, although there was lots of space junk laying around the area. My second attempt I found a shelter. Ventured to Hurston but didn't attempt a landing at Lorville. I'm watching YouTube Vids on the prerequisites for that one.

I've also compounded my "Crow Diet" by purchasing another ship. I started out a few days ago deciding to upgrade from my Avenger Stalker to a Gladius Valiant. I mean it was only $50 right? Played around with it a bit and while I think it's a good little light fighter it just wasn't comparable to my other fighter, the Sabre. So, I've always wanted a Hornet to A-B compare with my Sabre so I went for the Stealth one. Only another $15!  Played some more with that one and started eyeing the Super Hornet. Again, it's only another $55 right? So, now I'm into this game for another $120. So, go figure. JH, I think you mentioned on another thread that you were into SC for $700 over four years? I  may surpass you soon. I now have $475 invested in a bit over two years.

Now my plan is to test and compare the Hornet and Sabre and then upgrade one of them to my first heavy fighter which will probably be the Vanguard Warden. So, there goes more cash down the rabbit hole.

I am having one issue in SC. When I go to choose one of my two ships the menu never shows both of them at the same time. I get either the Sabre or the Hornet along with a Drake Cutlass Black which I don't own. Both of my owned ships are flight-ready and I've flown them both in the verse and arena so it can't be a loaner. I put in a tech ticket to see if they can fix the problem.

I've had some kind of space-sim epiphany in the last few weeks. I also reinstalled Elite Dangerous and in the past I couldn't even dock my ship properly or figure out navigation. Something just clicked in my old brain this time and I'm doing everything with ease. Just got my second ship for bounty hunting  (Viper MkIV). I'm working my way up to a Vulture next.

I'm going to have to take a break from playing these two games for a few days though. I'm finding that dog fighting with  a joystick in these space sims is a lot harder on my hands and especially my wrists than my standard WWI and II flight sims I usually play. Went to the gym this morning to workout and my right wrist felt like I had broken it when I tried to do an arm curl. So, I'm wearing a wrist brace right now to alleviate the pain. Such is the life of a very old gamer.

Anyway, I never thought I'd get into Sci-Fi type games, especially these two. But the Buzz here convinced me to give em' a go. Glad I did and I'm really enjoying the genre. The downside is the two wounds I've incurred: One to my wrist and the other my wallet.

Jarhead0331

^Ha! Glad you're getting some enjoyment out of Star Citizen. I've really enjoyed flying around the moons and planet Hurston, but I've had some bad luck with trying to get into the more structured aspects of the game with missions. The deliver missions all seem to be bugged one way or another and the personal missions have left me lost in space due to griefers who attack my ship while I'm out on EVA. This is very frustrating and I hope its something they address as the game develops. Otherwise, solo play will be nearly impossible.

Anyway...hope you get back into it after your wrist heals up!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

This one is a little explicit. Just me exploring a bit in lore ville. Again this was only really done for close friends in the .org. But I feel the guys here can handle my noob ness. These videos are not meant to be anything but s bare raw look at star citizen for those in my circle of real life friends that are considering the game.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Toonces

Did you guys really say $750 into the game? 

Dayum.  I'm not judging, but...yes I am.  Dayum.    :idiot2:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Destraex

I probably spent about the same. I don't drink anymore (never did drink much) and have never smoked. My vice is games and while I have never spent close to this (maybe DCS) on a game, it only adds up to about $100 a year and I am having fun. I completely understand how somebody would not get it. It makes no rational sense, but if it give you joy right? For a lot of us, what this game gives is the holy grail of games we have been dreaming of since childhood and seeing Han running around the falcon. The chance to have a ship as a home in space.
Toonces, your telling my you save all of your money? You spend on liquor, hookers or smokes? ;) Maybe you upgrade your PC every now and then?

A mate and I went on a mission to a station infiltrated by Terrorists, I took the con of his vanguard and he got in the turret. Their were 7 enemy AI. As we approached the station I noticed the kill count for our AI was decreasing. What the hell? Then I noticed a Connie on a nearby pad on the station. Guessing that their were already people inside fighting our targets. We went tactical and took the bastard out. Stealing our kills. He must have been in that area to clear his name because I did not get a crimestat for taking him out. We came out and agreed that my mate should try to steal the Connie while I piloted his Vanguard back. However we changed back to just getting in the Vanguard to come back. Exciting times.

Bardolph

Yskonyn

Video not available - it says for me.  :timeout:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Destraex

Video was a bit of fun.

Jarhead0331

3.3.7 is live. PTU for 3.4 is expected before the end of the week and should go live before Christmas.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Geezer

From Derek Smart:

QuoteBREAKING NEWS. Star Citizen execs have sold shares to three shell companies in the Cayman Islands. My Twitter thread (http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqocrf).

I added the link since it did not copy over from another forum
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Geezer on December 12, 2018, 10:32:18 AM
From Derek Smart:

QuoteBREAKING NEWS. Star Citizen execs have sold shares to three shell companies in the Cayman Islands. My Twitter thread (http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqocrf).

I added the link since it did not copy over from another forum

'Cause when you're a failure at making games, concoct conspiracy theories about others who are successfully making the game you never could. His jealousy is palpable.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

I don't understand  ???

OIC.

Alba gu' brath

Geezer

Well regardless of what people think of Derek Smart "if" it is true that Roberts and other principals have moved money to the Cayman Islands then that seems pretty damning, to me anyway.  Hard to understand how doing that helps them design, develop, and publish the game.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Geezer on December 12, 2018, 01:20:29 PM
Well regardless of what people think of Derek Smart "if" it is true that Roberts and other principals have moved money to the Cayman Islands then that seems pretty damning, to me anyway.  Hard to understand how doing that helps them design, develop, and publish the game.

What is damning about it exactly? Its a wise business move and its actually quite common. The fact that Derek "Smart" is using this to create controversy just shows that he is just as ignorant as to corporate governance and tax matters as he is at game development. Many businesses, especially ones like CIG put their revenue in offshore banks because they are doing business with people from many different countries. I think CIG recently disclosed that they have received money from people across something like 137 different countries.  international businesses use off shore accounts to avoid complicated and difficult tax and corporate issues encountered when money is coming in from so many different places.  Putting the money in off shore accounts is totally legal and it is akin to putting the money in "neutral territory", if you will. 

Cayman Islands, Bermuda, etc., these are common countries used by businesses for this purpose since they have relatively pro-business regulations and they are stable economies.

There is really absolutely no story here.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Geezer

I hope you are right Jarhead because I want the game to see the light of day like all the other backers.  But, if I read it right it sure sounds like Robert's is selling company shares to himself and stashing them in a shell company in Cayman bank accounts.  Why go through all that if it's all above board?  Why not just have a CGI account down there and use it.  As an aside I did a lot of scuba diving around Grand Cayman back in the 80's.  A beautiful place in all respects.  Maybe I should have opened a couple of accounts for myself when I was down there, but all my money went to diving and rum punch.   :P