Main Menu

D-Day Wargames?

Started by DicedT, June 05, 2014, 12:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

GJK

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on June 15, 2014, 07:48:48 AM
Just noticing this now. I went to the webpage for Wargame Processor, and it doesn't seem to tell me what it is about - is it like VASSAL?

I only just recently stumbled upon this myself Mike and have only tinkered around with it just a bit.  It's somewhat similar to VASSAL yet doesn't rely on Java and also it doesn't support live play.  However it does seem to handle pbem play with a much more thorough turn logging/playback sequence.  There are tools and a support file that goes over the needed steps to using the program and for creating your own modules.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Quote from: Philippe on June 06, 2014, 08:54:24 PM
HPS/JTS Panzer Campaigns: Normandy.

I still prefer the V for Victory system, but with this game you can (if you really want to) play the entire D-Day event on all five invasion  beaches.  My failing memory is that  V for Victory didn't include the landings, which are surprisingly interesting. 

The graphics are, of course, horrible, but there are mods (including one of my own) that improve things in the 2D views.

This would be my first choice too.  Especially with aforementioned mods.  O0


Although I think the OP was wanting something RTS or FPS.

Staggerwing

Quote from: GJK on June 15, 2014, 02:59:23 PM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on June 15, 2014, 07:48:48 AM
Just noticing this now. I went to the webpage for Wargame Processor, and it doesn't seem to tell me what it is about - is it like VASSAL?

I only just recently stumbled upon this myself Mike and have only tinkered around with it just a bit.  It's somewhat similar to VASSAL yet doesn't rely on Java and also it doesn't support live play.  However it does seem to handle pbem play with a much more thorough turn logging/playback sequence.  There are tools and a support file that goes over the needed steps to using the program and for creating your own modules.

Can you import the art assets from a VASSAL mod without a lot of redoing? Does it handle multiple card decks as well?

And, most importantly, is it easier to create a mod for than VASSAL?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Apocalypse 31

I didn't see it mentioned, but Panzer Corps: Allied Corps has a fantastic D-Day scenario, along with a great group of Allied missions within its campaign

bbmike

Quote from: GJK on June 15, 2014, 02:59:23 PM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on June 15, 2014, 07:48:48 AM
Just noticing this now. I went to the webpage for Wargame Processor, and it doesn't seem to tell me what it is about - is it like VASSAL?

I only just recently stumbled upon this myself Mike and have only tinkered around with it just a bit.  It's somewhat similar to VASSAL yet doesn't rely on Java and also it doesn't support live play.  However it does seem to handle pbem play with a much more thorough turn logging/playback sequence.  There are tools and a support file that goes over the needed steps to using the program and for creating your own modules.

Is there a guide for how to create modules? The editor is not too friendly.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak