Main Menu

Airsoft?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 29, 2014, 07:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 26, 2014, 12:23:16 PM
I have very little desire to shoot real steel these days. The environment here is too hostile and ammo is too expensive. I'm prepared for the zombie apocalypse and that's about it.  I'll still shoot pistol on occasion just to stay somewhat sharp and competent, but other than that, it's all 6mm bbs for me now. I'm using my airsoft guns more than I've used my real guns in years and the best part? With airsoft, you actually get to shoot people without going to jail or having a guilty conscience.

Are the airsoft guns accurate enough for marksmanship practice? i am not talking about plugging a nickel accurate. More along the lines of producing a chest wound accurate......
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 29, 2014, 07:41:17 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 29, 2014, 07:37:28 PM
a part of my soul just died for you.

Why? I'm not going to be running around all kitted up like a douche. But a few of my friends are having fun with it and it gives me a chance to get off my ass.

Come on.  Let's see the kit then.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 26, 2014, 04:05:31 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 29, 2014, 07:41:17 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 29, 2014, 07:37:28 PM
a part of my soul just died for you.

Why? I'm not going to be running around all kitted up like a douche. But a few of my friends are having fun with it and it gives me a chance to get off my ass.

Come on.  Let's see the kit then.

Yeah...no. I've admittedly gone full retard, but its a lot of fun and I love scaring the crap out of younger players.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DoctorQuest on September 26, 2014, 03:37:11 PM
I have very little desire to shoot real steel these days. The environment here is too hostile and ammo is too expensive. I'm prepared for the zombie apocalypse and that's about it.  I'll still shoot pistol on occasion just to stay somewhat sharp and competent, but other than that, it's all 6mm bbs for me now. I'm using my airsoft guns more than I've used my real guns in years and the best part? With airsoft, you actually get to shoot people without going to jail or having a guilty conscience.

Are the airsoft guns accurate enough for marksmanship practice? i am not talking about plugging a nickel accurate. More along the lines of producing a chest wound accurate......

Yes. Out to a certain range depending on muzzle velocity. The problem with these guns is that the barrels are not rifled so they are all smooth bore. To compensate for this, the guns incorporate a system called a "hop-up" which gives the bb a little spin to keep a more stable trajectory. Indoor your FPS should be around 350. This is strong enough to give reasonable accuracy out to 100 to 150 feet without killing the guy that you're shooting at.  Outdoors, FPS tends to be above 400 for greater range. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jejo68

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 26, 2014, 05:36:37 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on September 26, 2014, 03:37:11 PM

Yes. Out to a certain range depending on muzzle velocity. The problem with these guns is that the barrels are not rifled so they are all smooth bore. To compensate for this, the guns incorporate a system called a "hop-up" which gives the bb a little spin to keep a more stable trajectory. Indoor your FPS should be around 350. This is strong enough to give reasonable accuracy out to 100 to 150 feet without killing the guy that you're shooting at.  Outdoors, FPS tends to be above 400 for greater range.
Some of the Guys I played with had single action sniper rifles with FPS up to 600-700, nasty stuff when you got hit. (we had a safety distance of 10m, largely put in place after one of them put a hole through a cola can)

Jarhead0331

^yep. 600 to 700 is very high. Anything over 350 can be painful. I make sure my entire body is covered, you just never know what you might get hit with and where. Some people play in short sleeves, or in shorts, or with goggles only and no face protector. I simply can't walk into to work or court with a huge welt on my face because I got shot with a bb.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 27, 2014, 06:31:39 AM
^yep. 600 to 700 is very high. Anything over 350 can be painful. I make sure my entire body is covered, you just never know what you might get hit with and where. Some people play in short sleeves, or in shorts, or with goggles only and no face protector. I simply can't walk into to work or court with a huge welt on my face because I got shot with a bb.

im sure its limited to 300 here, you have to be callabrated before each match

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

BanzaiCat

I should have gotten into this while I worked for Academy Sports - that 20% discount would have come in handy.

DoctorQuest

Does anyone have recommendations for a reputable airsoft online store? The local shops around here just don't have much beyond the basics.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bob48

I think JH is your man for that.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

DoctorQuest

So I ended up picking up one of these. After poking around a bit more I found a local sporting goods store that carries a lot of Airsoft guns and accessories.

It is a gas powered blowback model that does a very good job of replicating the real thing. (I have a real one as well.) It is a lot of fun to shoot and you can't beat the price of ammo and gas.

I'm in the process of setting up an indoor range.  O0

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DoctorQuest on December 07, 2016, 06:00:47 PM
Does anyone have recommendations for a reputable airsoft online store? The local shops around here just don't have much beyond the basics.

Sorry I missed this.

In the future, check out evike.com. They have pretty much everything you could ever need, have excellent customer service and are very reliable.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2017, 03:30:58 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on December 07, 2016, 06:00:47 PM

Sorry I missed this.

In the future, check out evike.com. They have pretty much everything you could ever need, have excellent customer service and are very reliable.

Thanks, JH. I will certainly give them a look.