Battleplan: American Civil War

Started by Rayfer, July 04, 2014, 07:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper


Asid

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 04, 2014, 11:00:08 AM
My price point is $10 or less:)

Its full price is £6.99 ($12.00) but has 20% discount for a limited time so is £5.59 ($9.60)

Seems reasonable :)
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

steve58

#17
....actually Steam is showing it at $8 (through 7/11) which ain't too bad.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Ian C


Ian C

#19
Played tutorials & battle of Bull Run. Easy learning curve. The game speed is a little fast but the pause button is useful.
It DOES remind me of Universal Military Simulator.

TIP: You can drag & zoom the briefing map.

Grim.Reaper

Bought it but can't play until tonight....better be good:)

JudgeDredd

#21
Bought it...way too fast (for me at least). So there's a pause button - that's good, but without being able to give orders when paused - what's the point - the game goes back to pretty frenetic.

Also the combat is over waaaaay too fast...likely due to the speed. But no sooner have two armies(?) collided than one is bailing.

I did only give it a quick go - but I'm not nearly as impressed as I was with Ultimate General...mainly because of the speed

**edit**
You can give orders in pause
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people


jomni

#23
I think the game focuses on pre-planning.  Difficult to change commands as it models command and control.

Judge,  you can give orders while paused based on the video above.

Grim.Reaper

You definitely can give orders while paused, I think JD also mentioned it after he realized it...only been through tutorials so far, but does seem really nice for what it is....certainly can be very fast though.  One thing I really like is the couriers giving orders and you see them being sent out...sometimes commanders ignore them, which adds some unpredictableness to the game.

Grim.Reaper

#25
Played my first quick battle and I brought home a union victory:) 

Battle of Bull Run...

Union Casualties: 7669 (historical was 1982)
Confed: 6771 (historical was 2896)

What a blood bath!

Couple other observations...

1)  Really like the ability to just plan the moves and let the AI do the rest for this type of game.
2) HATE HATE HATE the unlock system....you can only play battles you unlock....gosh darn it, I bought the game and should be able to play them all as I see fit...I HATE UNLOCKS in games!!1
3)  Neat how the names of the battles will change depending on the side you play...for example its Anietam for the Union, but Sharpsburg for the Confed...

Grim.Reaper

For those interested, here is the official page on the game and the forums (besides steam)....according to their moderator, doesn't appear the developers have been very active in the community....hopefully that changes and they listen to feedback...otherwise this game won't go far.

http://www.battleplanseries.com/

Jarhead0331

For a change, here is a Game I see absolutely no reason to buy.  If I want something quick, I'll play Ultimate General. If I want something complex and real time, I'll play SoW. If I want something complex  and turn based, I'll play Civil War II. Little  colored blocks, though? No thanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 04, 2014, 10:29:43 PM
For a change, here is a Game I see absolutely no reason to buy.  If I want something quick, I'll play Ultimate General. If I want something complex and real time, I'll play SoW. If I want something complex  and turn based, I'll play Civil War II. Little  colored blocks, though? No thanks.

Completely understandable...I am just an acw nut so nearly buy everything related....I personally think it will have a short shelf life and won't receive the care and feeding as ultimate general.  It is a little different, little more strategic (less options), courier system, and does have 10-11 battles included versus one.  But likely won't be something I'll play long tier and if not for the low price, likely wouldn't have jumped in right away.

TacticalWargames

I thought we where told wargaming was a niche so had to be expensive? Yet lately we have had some good little wargames coming out on steam for a very decent price.