Main Menu

Pike & Shot

Started by DennisS, July 09, 2014, 12:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DennisS

New game from Slitherine, just announced. I don't know if this has been posted before, but from looking at the site, it looks exceptional.

1) Turn-based
2) Randomly generated maps AND forces for battles
3) Excellent graphics

http://www.slitherine.com/games/pike_shot_pc

This is looking very much like a must buy for me. I love the genre, and concept.

MengJiao

Quote from: DennisS on July 09, 2014, 12:34:54 PM
New game from Slitherine, just announced. I don't know if this has been posted before, but from looking at the site, it looks exceptional.

1) Turn-based
2) Randomly generated maps AND forces for battles
3) Excellent graphics

http://www.slitherine.com/games/pike_shot_pc

This is looking very much like a must buy for me. I love the genre, and concept.

  I can't figure out if they fixed the graphics or THESE NEW READING GLASSES ARE AWESOME!  I hope both!

  Anyway, yes...it's like a dream come true: thousands of tiny musketeers shooting at each other.

Gusington

Sigh...another must buy. Here just take my whole wallet. Take it!!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Yeah...Slitherine needs to take a break already. Its like they have me working to play, rather than playing to work, like its supposed to be.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Rayfer

Something may have posted about this before.  Wasn't it using the Battle Academy engine? The screenshots are great. Looking forward to this one.

DennisS

Quote from: Rayfer on July 09, 2014, 02:50:14 PM
Something may have posted about this before.  Wasn't it using the Battle Academy engine? The screenshots are great. Looking forward to this one.

If it uses the Battle Academy engine, and has a slower paced movement for the units, then that's even better!

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Apocalypse 31

Looks like a mod for Battle Academy.


jomni

Units look like buildings. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on July 09, 2014, 05:14:25 PM
Looks like a mod for Battle Academy.

Those blocky blocks of units still freak me out.  :(

bob48

I could go for that. The unit 'blocks' are obviously based on contemporary illustrations. I quite like the effect.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: jomni on July 09, 2014, 05:26:07 PM
Units look like buildings.

I had no idea they were units, really thought they were buildings...interesting design choice.....

Bletchley_Geek

#12
Contemporary illustrations like this one, I guess



my problem with that is the contrast with the 'true to nature' depiction of the terrain. They do look slightly 'out of place'.

On the other hand, browsing the image gallery, Image #3 picked up my attention, where we can see several Tercios firing at each other at what would look like somewhat implausible distances and with some dodgy line of fires (the Imperial Tercio with oblique facing seems to be firing across the other Tercio in front of it). I'm assuming that each square is something like 200 x 200 meters - which would fit quite comfortably a Spanish Tercio (the pikemen in the cuadro, at the center of the formation, would occupy just about a 60 x 60 meters area, with the mangas, the arquebusiers/halberdiers skirmishing detachments in the corners, around it). It does look to me like the ranges are slightly off or abstracted in some way.

In any case, it's great to see a modern computer war game covering this period, which is one of my favorites to read about (I found "The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy" to be a great read).

MengJiao

Quote from: Bletchley_Geek on July 09, 2014, 07:00:10 PM
Contemporary illustrations like this one, I guess




In any case, it's great to see a modern computer war game covering this period, which is one of my favorites to read about (I found "The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy" to be a great read).

  I second that.  I don't think I had a very good idea of what the dynamics of the war were until I read that book.  I suppose I must have suspected something or other about the structure of the HRE, but the book brings out the problems of defining the mutual responsibilities of sovereign entities and how much of that is due to the Peace of Westphalia.

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: MengJiao on July 09, 2014, 07:18:37 PM
  I second that.  I don't think I had a very good idea of what the dynamics of the war were until I read that book.  I suppose I must have suspected something or other about the structure of the HRE, but the book brings out the problems of defining the mutual responsibilities of sovereign entities and how much of that is due to the Peace of Westphalia.

That, and the importance of enacting sound fiscal policies to sustain armies and navies - that was the war winning wonder weapon of the French (which I think can be considered the 'winners').