Gunship! by Microprose

Started by Great Ajax, July 11, 2014, 12:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

Microprose is one of my favorite computer game companies of all time. Keyboard templates were awesome! I was also 15 and a much quicker learner than now at 40.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Great Ajax on July 12, 2014, 05:52:30 PMI load up DCS and stare at it for fifteen minutes before I end up doing something else.

This is how I feel about Steel Beasts.

Skoop

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on July 12, 2014, 07:16:59 PM
Quote from: Great Ajax on July 12, 2014, 05:52:30 PMI load up DCS and stare at it for fifteen minutes before I end up doing something else.

This is how I feel about Steel Beasts.

Awww come on man, jump into an M1a2 and rip apart some t-72s.  I've had some great white knuckle by the seat of your pants action with sb pro.  Like you and your platoon of m1s trying to hold off a soviet armored battalion.

BanzaiCat

Accolade had a few hits. I liked Steel Thunder.



Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 13, 2014, 05:12:06 PM
Accolade had a few hits. I liked Steel Thunder.



I loved that one.  Long ago, in the far far away. 

I'd really like to play the latest Steel Beasts stuff, but there's no way I'm signing up for that DRM scheme.   >:(

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on July 13, 2014, 07:50:40 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 13, 2014, 05:12:06 PM
Accolade had a few hits. I liked Steel Thunder.



I loved that one.  Long ago, in the far far away. 

I'd really like to play the latest Steel Beasts stuff, but there's no way I'm signing up for that DRM scheme.   >:(

The dingle isn't much of a problem. It's similar to having a DVD in drive.

Jarhead0331

It's called a dongle...not a dingle.

Anyway, I would think all the DRM haters would prefer this over other forms of licensing and DRM. They just need to accept the idea that this isn't a perfect world and that the digital gaming industry requires some form of digital rights management.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2014, 06:29:52 AM
It's called a dongle...not a dingle.

Anyway, I would think all the DRM haters would prefer this over other forms of licensing and DRM. They just need to accept the idea that this isn't a perfect world and that the digital gaming industry requires some form of digital rights management.

Lol! Stupid autocorrect.

Skoop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2014, 06:29:52 AM
It's called a dongle...not a dingle.

Anyway, I would think all the DRM haters would prefer this over other forms of licensing and DRM. They just need to accept the idea that this isn't a perfect world and that the digital gaming industry requires some form of digital rights management.
My thoughts exactly, a physical drm dongle is a hell of a lot better than some intrusive software running in the background like those days with starforce.  Don't let something like a USB dongle stop you from playing the best armor sim on the market. 

Nefaro

I just can't get past the dongle. 

Perhaps because I've lost at least one USB thumb drive (off my keychain no less) and have had two of them die on me over the years.  What does it cost?  Like $80 for one?  I would fully expect something bad to happen to it.  Not even considering the high price for a sim that only has one-off scenarios.  I dunno.. just not convinced that the Pros outweigh the Cons for me at that price.

Jarhead0331

^It took me awhile to accept the dongle idea too, and it is one of the few things that I make sure I keep an eye on every time I move or relocate.  I think they will replace the dongle for $10 if it breaks or you lose it though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Skoop

#71
The thing with sb pro in sp is that there is no dedicated campaign / career mode which seems to be a deal breaker for many folks.  In spite of that, there is a ton of content for sp people.  The key for me is the editor, you can open any mission that isn't pass worded ( which is 90% of most missions) and adjust it to your liking in just a few clicks. 
Hands down it has one of the most versatile editors, when the M1a2 was finally releases, I went back and swapped out all my favorite sp scenarios with m1a2 and spent hours of game play just trying out all the upgraded features of the a2.
  My preference is to play m1a2s with an all sabot round load out, very deadly combo, I'm worthless shooting with heat rounds. 
If you want to, you can play the game from the map mode like a strategy game, then jump in to vehicles at key moments.  This is how I play large scenarios in sp that are meant for mp, span of control gets tested but lots of action no doubt.

There is a new operation mode that has a series of branching scenarios sort of like the cm campaign system, but there is only a 1973 Sinai scenario for it.  I think this May be esim's effort to add more of a campaign system in the future.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2014, 01:55:29 PM
^It took me awhile to accept the dongle idea too, and it is one of the few things that I make sure I keep an eye on every time I move or relocate.  I think they will replace the dongle for $10 if it breaks or you lose it though.

Me too...took me awhile to jump in because I had reservations of the dongle, but ever since I have gotten it, I don't even think about it anymore.  The day I got it I plugged in the back of my PC and hasn't moved since.  I am pretty sure they do have the replacement program like you stated, so I am not too worried about it.  Not saying I love the dongle method, but I would take it over the other DRM that ties to your specific hardware and requires new activations as things changed.  Although I don't really ever want it to become the norm since if every game had it, management of the dongles would become a nightmare.

jomni

Quote from: Skoop on July 14, 2014, 02:58:45 PM
The thing with sb pro in sp is that there is no dedicated campaign / career mode which seems to be a deal breaker for many folks. 

Well it's not a game but a simulation.  Just like FSX and X-Plane there are no campaigns.  No story. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Skoop on July 14, 2014, 02:58:45 PM


There is a new operation mode that has a series of branching scenarios sort of like the cm campaign system, but there is only a 1973 Sinai scenario for it.  I think this May be esim's effort to add more of a campaign system in the future.

Since they charge for larger updates, I also may as well wait until they get more features in that I want before purchasing. 

At that price, I don't want to go in twice.  If I ever decide to do so.