Main Menu

Heroes Rise Trilogy

Started by BanzaiCat, July 11, 2014, 03:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

I went ahead and sprung for Heroes Rise (my wife's going to love that I've bought so many cheap games lately, LOL). It's a text adventure game on Steam right now.

http://www.choiceofgames.com/2014/06/heroes-rise-is-the-first-text-adventure-on-steam-we-need-your-help/

It's 6.99 for three total games through Steam; the first is said to be 100,000 words long, the second 177,000 words. Not sure about the third one.

It's a rather immersive story where you play a superhero that's just starting out. You're a high school aged kid, so that's going to be a stretch for some of the geriatrics around here (myself included of course), but it's a pretty decent story thus far. I haven't played a text adventure in a while, and that's considering I downloaded a lot of the Infocom text games (Wishbringer, Zork, etc.) to my iPad some time ago, but never played them. This Heroes Rise stuff, though, is more interactive fiction, and the format is run off of a familiar storytelling software program called Twine (I think it's Twine, anyway; I used Twine in some training scenarios at my last job).


TacticalWargames

Noticed this myself..I always remember test adventures still having the odd static picture. The Hobbit and Erik the Viking did.

Grim.Reaper

This reminds me of my old Vic 20 days when I use to play all the Scott Adams text adventure games (adventure, pirates cove, etc.)....really liked those games back then, wow how things have changed from those times:)

If you liked those games and want a little nostalgia, Scott actually made them freely available in a Windows version at the following link.  I downloaded it and brings back memories, but not sure I could ever go back to purely text games, but you never know:)  It was much simpler times back then.

http://www.msadams.com/downloads.htm

Huw the Poo

Tch.  It isn't "text adventures" any more, it's interactive fiction, noobs. :P

(I still call them text adventures)

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 13, 2014, 06:03:54 AM
http://www.msadams.com/downloads.htm

Great link!  I finally found the name of a game I've been trying to think of for years, Sorceror of Claymorgue Castle!  I really liked that as a kid but never beat it.  I'd rather play the C64 version with the graphics though. :)

BanzaiCat

This Heroes trilogy is pretty decent. I got through the first story and am about halfway through the second. Trying to play a game of Picket Duty now, but the rules have me stuck so I might go back to the book.