One reason amongst many why i'm here and not there

Started by undercovergeek, July 13, 2014, 05:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Bletchley_Geek on July 14, 2014, 08:03:19 PM
Just one recent example that might illustrate what's the point of the "feminist" stuff on RPS.

In order to get over the rude shock of waking up on Mondays at 6.30 AM I like to put together a little clownish act to have my partner laugh and cheer up before getting the show on the road. This week the theme I chose was inspired by one of the lines - "Woe is me!" - of an NPC central to an early side quest in Divinity: Original Sin. She found that hilarious and asked me where I had got that from. I promised her to show what was that about in the evening.

So after work, I fired up Divinity to show her what was that "Woe is me" thing about, started a new game and as soon as the character creation screen showed up, and we got to see the default avatars she quickly and acidly observed that the female character was right out of the wettest nerd dream: a buxom red-head, well fitting into the "Tits & Ass" paradigm. To be honest, I hadn't even noticed the size of the tits of Scarlett, but man, she was quite right. I don't know if anyone here had one of those "No Fat Chicks in My Car" bumper stickers at some point on their car, but let's be honest, "No Fat Chicks in My Game" is the Law in video games today. There was some joking on RPS about "how long until the naked avatar mods", but I'd bet good money that nobody would ever think of a "Fat Chicks Mod" for Divinity or any other RPG.

Indeed, video games are about escapism. But the themes explored by that "escapism"  - or even more interestingly, what they don't explore at all - do tell a lot about the real life, prejudices, dreams and ideology of the people who craft those games. And they can be made of gold, but sometimes, some parts of them, can be crusted with dog sh*t.

Being the father-in-waiting of soon to be due baby girl, I can't other than take these things more seriously: I will be responsible of educating a young girl into become a woman, and of course I want the best for her. And the "best" hasn't anything to do with burkas, her becoming a devoted 1950's housewife, and heavens forbid, the plaything of some dumb stoned surfers or middle-class white kids playing GTA gansta wannabees. I will make sure she can call bullsh*t when she sees some.

Congrats on the new baby!  My baby girl recently turned 1 year old and I know exactly what you mean.  I don't want anyone to ever hold her back, disrespect her or tell her there is ANYTHING she cannot do...but guess what?  I still don't want fat chicks in my game.  I go back to my original point...there is a time and place for everything.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2014, 08:45:29 PM
Congrats on the new baby!  My baby girl recently turned 1 year old and I know exactly what you mean.  I don't want anyone to ever hold her back, disrespect her or tell her there is ANYTHING she cannot do...but guess what?  I still don't want fat chicks in my game. 

Thank you and fair enough :) My partner made a "No Fat Dickheads in My Car" bumper sticker for her car when she was in High School - to each his (or her) own.

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2014, 08:45:29 PM
I go back to my original point...there is a time and place for everything.

There is, and that includes women's voices in writing about video games.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2014, 08:45:29 PM
  I still don't want fat chicks in my game.

I dont see why you have to discriminate against Mirth's preferences.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Grim.Reaper

Even in the elite dangerous forums this type of discussion comes up....for what.....debating male and female voices that are used in the game.  A little extreme when just talking about a game, the thread ends up having a little of everything discussed.

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18812

undercovergeek

what i find odd is i dont care - if i booted up Divinity and there were 2 female leads, fine, im not bothered - i would certainly not start a crusade over the lack of male representation in the game

where is my male character in tomb raider goddamit - i want answers

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 15, 2014, 05:48:48 AM
what i find odd is i dont care - if i booted up Divinity and there were 2 female leads, fine, im not bothered - i would certainly not start a crusade over the lack of male representation in the game

where is my male character in tomb raider goddamit - i want answers

Agreed

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

#67
Quote from: Bletchley_Geek on July 14, 2014, 08:03:19 PM
Just one recent example that might illustrate what's the point of the "feminist" stuff on RPS.

In order to get over the rude shock of waking up on Mondays at 6.30 AM I like to put together a little clownish act to have my partner laugh and cheer up before getting the show on the road. This week the theme I chose was inspired by one of the lines - "Woe is me!" - of an NPC central to an early side quest in Divinity: Original Sin. She found that hilarious and asked me where I had got that from. I promised her to show what was that about in the evening.

So after work, I fired up Divinity to show her what was that "Woe is me" thing about, started a new game and as soon as the character creation screen showed up, and we got to see the default avatars she quickly and acidly observed that the female character was right out of the wettest nerd dream: a buxom red-head, well fitting into the "Tits & Ass" paradigm. To be honest, I hadn't even noticed the size of the tits of Scarlett, but man, she was quite right. I don't know if anyone here had one of those "No Fat Chicks in My Car" bumper stickers at some point on their car, but let's be honest, "No Fat Chicks in My Game" is the Law in video games today. There was some joking on RPS about "how long until the naked avatar mods", but I'd bet good money that nobody would ever think of a "Fat Chicks Mod" for Divinity or any other RPG.

Indeed, video games are about escapism. But the themes explored by that "escapism"  - or even more interestingly, what they don't explore at all - do tell a lot about the real life, prejudices, dreams and ideology of the people who craft those games. And they can be made of gold, but sometimes, some parts of them, can be crusted with dog sh*t.

Being the father-in-waiting of soon to be due baby girl, I can't other than take these things more seriously: I will be responsible of educating a young girl into become a woman, and of course I want the best for her. And the "best" hasn't anything to do with burkas, her becoming a devoted 1950's housewife, and heavens forbid, the plaything of some dumb stoned surfers or middle-class white kids playing GTA gansta wannabees. I will make sure she can call bullsh*t when she sees some.

You also don't see fat dudes as main characters, by default.

I have seen numerous character creators in which you could create overweight characters, both male and female.  Almost nobody uses them.  So why would developers insist on spending the time creating such things when an overwhelming majority of their customers wouldn't like it?  It just doesn't make sense from any business standpoint.

I've ran into a fair amount of female gamers over the years, mostly in MMOs, and I don't recall a single one creating an overweight or homely character, even though they could.  Make jokes about the "Battle Ho" look?  Sure.  We all do.  But practically nobody wants to be a pork chop or fugly in their escape from reality.

What I do see them complain about is having to play a male character.  Many of them are downright disgusted with the thought of having to play a hairy, smelly dude.  If we wanted to pay lip service to the PC party, that is pretty sexist right there but you don't see me tossing a big feigned fit.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Nefaro on July 15, 2014, 12:43:44 PM
What I do see them complain about is having to play a male character.  Many of them are downright disgusted with the thought of having to play a hairy, smelly dude.  If we wanted to pay lip service to the PC party, that is pretty sexist right there but you don't see me tossing a big feigned fit.

Conversely, when given the choice, I always play a girl.  (And I set the boob slider TO THE MAX!)  It never bothers me if I can't though.  I'm more annoyed in an MMORPG if certain classes are restricted to certain races!

bob48

....funny you say that, but my latest character in Skyrim is female.

...she likes to change her clothes quite a lot............


<gloiiiinnnnggggg>
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Rayfer

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 15, 2014, 01:00:46 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 15, 2014, 12:43:44 PM
What I do see them complain about is having to play a male character.  Many of them are downright disgusted with the thought of having to play a hairy, smelly dude.  If we wanted to pay lip service to the PC party, that is pretty sexist right there but you don't see me tossing a big feigned fit.

Conversely, when given the choice, I always play a girl.  (And I set the boob slider TO THE MAX!)  It never bothers me if I can't though.  I'm more annoyed in an MMORPG if certain classes are restricted to certain races!

I learned an MMO lesson a very long time ago when Everquest first came out....as a female character, if you got into trouble in a battle, hordes of males players would come to your rescue, even give you stuff like better weapons, etc. But as a male character, they would just as often walk by and let you die. I quickly started playing as a female.

RooksBailey

#71
What RPS, Polygon, Ion (not gaming but sci-fi news), and other leftist sites are doing is little more than poisoning their own well.  Prior to the frat boys over at RPS jumping on the militant feminist bandwagon, I used to visit their site all the time, daily really.  I enjoyed their humorous take on gaming news, and they had some good stories that few other sites were covering  But since they started this nonsense, I only check out the site when somebody posts a link.  I just stopped visiting their well because my perception of the site changed - now I don't get a a friendly impression from them, but a divisive impression. 

The same goes for the other sites I listed.  Polygon is even deeper into the militant feminism stuff, and Ion became all about "progressive causes" - not only the feminist bandwagon, but also homophile and anti-American snark at times. 

Look, if that is their thing, fine (heck, I even have a gaming blog with a political tint, albeit I like to think it is less about pitting people against each other than it is about occasionally exploring the political themes found in gaming).  But I won't be a part of it.  Not only because those views run contrary to everything my education and experience has taught me, but also because I see gaming as a refuge from the divisive slop that has overtaken television and the movies these days.  I don't really care what the gender, creed, race, sexual preference, et cetera of my gaming partner is, I just want to play a game with him.  But as soon as my gaming partner becomes a Michael Moore who just won't shut up about his latest cause celebre, I am out because that is not why I am there.

I am reminded of the motto of FIDE:  Gens Una Sumus (we are all one).  That is my ideal for PC gaming, too.  Sadly, what the Rock, Paper, Gloria Steinems and Polygons of the world are practicing is just the opposite: their motto seems to be "Divide and Conquer".   Fine, but count me out.  Sure, I could stick around and fight the good fight -  and I admire those of you who do still have the strength to cross swords over this nonsense - but I am just getting really tired girding my loins, now even to the point of reading the gaming news!  :buck2:  As the old saying goes, don't try to teach a pig to sing; you'll just frustrate yourself, and annoy the pig.   ;D  So I'll vote with my feet.  I patronize sites that seek to unify rather than divide (such as Grogheads, Gamesquad, Christ Centered Gamer, etc) when it comes to gaming.  The others can continue to try and draw water from their now poisoned well to their hearts content.

Experience shows that eventually that doesn't work out too tell.....   :idiot2:




"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

panzerde

Quote from: bob48 on July 15, 2014, 01:23:23 PM
....funny you say that, but my latest character in Skyrim is female.

...she likes to change her clothes quite a lot............


<gloiiiinnnnggggg>

I knew there was a reason you were logging so many hours in that game!

I, uh, do the same thing...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bob48

^Thank God there is a least one more honest perv on here........ O0
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bob48 on July 16, 2014, 08:33:48 AM
^Thank God there is a least one more honest perv on here........ O0

seriously?  it's not like we don't have the Lingerie Channel for those who are interested in...  'researching'...  uh, yeah...  research possible RPG outfits for their female characters
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers