Games Set in the Interwar Years: 1919-1938

Started by Gusington, July 14, 2014, 06:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

Anyone know of any good games set between World War I and World War II?

I've recently become interested in this period - Europe, Asia, Middle East...doesn't really matter to me. I'll take any kind of strategic or tactical games, or even sims - land, sea or air, including FPSs.

Sims would actually be awesome because I don't think I know of any beyond Crimson Skies, which I tried a few years ago when the game was around 10 years old and it just looked too dated for me.

Dashes of steampunk and dieselpunk fiction would also be welcome.

Not interested in any of the Civ games as I have them already. I know this might be a tall order, but any recommendations are welcome. Thanks all!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

IIRC, Revolution under Siege from AGEOD runs into the early 20s and Making History 2 lets you start in 1936. There are a number of scenarios for Steel Panthers set in the interwar years. There is also War Plan Orange of which I believe you are already aware.

Nothing Steam-or-Diesel Punk about any of them I'm afraid.  :(

What about Airship Dragoon?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

#2
Matrixgames has War Plan Orange.

Quote
The year is 1922.  World War 1 has come and gone and the world has settled into an uneasy peace.  The alliance between the United States and the other powers is weak as the powers try to maintain peace in Europe.  Fearful of the growing strength of Japan, the United States created a series of plans in case of a pacific war with Japan.  Their name:  War Plan Orange.  Consisting of three different scenarios, War Plan Orange was a comprehensive and real life "What if" scenario for the war in the pacific.  In the world of Matrix Games a different story is going to unfold, and Japan, seeking natural resources to grow their power, will turn the full strength of their navy against the industrial giant of the United States.

Enter War Plan Orange:  Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922-1930, where you will command the pacific fleet for either power in four different campaigns.  The two major campaigns will take you from 1922 - 1926 and from 1926 - 1930.  With incredible attention to detail and historical accuracy, War Plan Orange is the perfect modification to War in the Pacific for anyone who loves the time period between World War 1 and World War 2.  The lack of airpower and inefficient fuels, as well as the natural resources required by both sides make War Plan Orange a completely different experience.

Additionally there are two PBEM scenarios included, making War Plan Orange powerful enough to stand on its own, as well as one of the largest mods and expansions to be released for any game.  War in the Pacific fans will rejoice and newcomers will stand in awe of the tactical battles that will be waged in one of the greatest wars that never was (or at least, never was until more than a decade later).
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Staggerwing

*ehem*

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 14, 2014, 06:23:20 PM
There is also War Plan Orange of which I believe you are already aware.

:)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

^what, I'm supposed to read all the words?   :P.  :-[
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

RyanE

Strategic Command WW1 has several wars covered...Russian Civil War, Russo-Polish War, and I think a couple others.

Gusington

^Are those in the Breakthrough expansion?

I've got a dusty digital copy of War Plan Orange lying around here somewhere...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

fabius

AGEOD has, I think, a Spanish Civil War game. I keep meaning to read a good book about that war.

RyanE

Quote from: Gusington on July 14, 2014, 07:37:15 PM
^Are those in the Breakthrough expansion?


Yes, I think so.  Its listed on the BFC site if you want to do the work.

Gusington

#10
I have Breakthrough :) there are a lot of pre WWI and exotic WWI fronts included but not too many interwar scenarios. There is a 1939 game included too.

Thanks fabius...I thought of AGEOD's Espana 1936 but have read some negative chatter about it, although that game and Revolution Under Siege seem to be my best bet for some strategic interwar games.

I don't think there are any sims or fps set in that timeframe...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

AGEODS revolution under siege had a fabulous "what if" campiagn. Germany wins WW1 and in 1923, decides to attack the Soviet Union claiming it was interfering in Poland (or something like that). And off you go...full Army Groups (not just regular AGEOD armies) comprised of armies, them corps, then division, etc. Great scenario and I love it far more than "Reds v Whites"
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on July 15, 2014, 07:30:22 AM


Thanks fabius...I thought of AGEOD's Espana 1936 but have read some negative chatter about it, although that game and Revolution Under Siege seem to be my best bet for some strategic interwar games.


I would recommend RUS. 

I'd had suspicions about whether the AGE engine could handle something as odd as the Spanish Civil War, and some users have mentioned it being so.  Perhaps it will (or has) been fixed up since it's release, but RUS has had more time to bloom.  RUS also has a nice variety and scope since it also includes scenarios covering the Commie attempt at taking over Finland, some Polish stuff, etc.

Disclaimer:  I've not played Espana '36 so it may well be just fine.  I think you'll get more bang for the buck with RUS even if it is, however.

Gusington

Sounds like RUS is definitely the way to go from what Nef and mikeck have posted. Didn't know that there was a German campaign included in RUS either, that sounds quite choice.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: fabius on July 15, 2014, 04:27:48 AM
AGEOD has, I think, a Spanish Civil War game. I keep meaning to read a good book about that war.
Try Homage to Catalonia - George Orwell. I love the reply after he gets shot through the neck and is told "you're lucky to be alive". He says that he personally thought "it would be even luckier not to be hit at all". :2funny:

Also spotted this which gives you an indication of his writing style...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturenews/10327968/George-Orwell-scarf-he-was-wearing-when-shot-going-on-sale.html
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat