Greatest American Rock Band

Started by bayonetbrant, July 26, 2014, 07:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Who compiled this list?  A bunch of doddering old farts in a retirement home?

Staggerwing

Git offa mah rockin roll lawn!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TacticalWargames

Yeah..The Doors has it all from great tunes to a charismatic lead singer and well known world wide.

Quote from: Gusington on July 26, 2014, 05:31:17 PM
The Doors. Their music holds up today. God knows what they would have come up with had Jim Morrison lived. And their music was really of its own place and time as well. As well as other places and times. Pass the acid dude.

Counting Crows??? Vomit. 'Mr. Jones' should disqualify them immediately.

Doesn't Fleetwood Mac include some Brits? Like Mick Fleetwood himself?

MetalDog

Counting Crows are pretty good Gussy.  Not on a level with the Doors, but, good nonetheless. 

Dave Mathews was born in S.A.  So, that makes him South African.  And I do realize to whom I am replying :)  The rest of the band is from here.  And yes, Virginia was where they hailed from.

KISS, for anyone who has seen them perform, puts on a GREAT show!  Very high energy and enjoyable.  Of course, that was 30 years ago, so, they may have slowed down, but, there it is.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

I went to a Counting Crows show with a girlfriend about 20 years ago. Cake opened for them, and were great. I slept through the rest of the show :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Anybody that can bang Courtney Cox and whos favorite musician is Van Morrison, can't be all bad. 

Gusington

I love Van Morrison and Courtney Cox. But I would hang out with Van at a U2 show and take Courtney Cox to see Cake.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

The jimi hendrix experience. There is NO part of rock and roll that wasnt effected and its stood the test of time.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Al

QuoteI really dislike The Eagles.  You can't dismiss their string of hits and popular songs, or the fact that they threw three successful solo artists (Don Henley, Glenn Frey and Joe Walsh) into the mainstream.  Though, I fear for my sanity the next time I hear Hotel California.  GOD I hate that song!

Jeez, I thought I was the only person who hates Hotel California.   ???
Al

MetalDog

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 27, 2014, 04:25:20 PM
The jimi hendrix experience. There is NO part of rock and roll that wasnt effected and its stood the test of time.

Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell were both Brits.  But, the Master of the Stratocaster, on his own merits, can stand for American rock any time he wants.

MetalDog

Quote from: Al on July 27, 2014, 04:52:25 PM
QuoteI really dislike The Eagles.  You can't dismiss their string of hits and popular songs, or the fact that they threw three successful solo artists (Don Henley, Glenn Frey and Joe Walsh) into the mainstream.  Though, I fear for my sanity the next time I hear Hotel California.  GOD I hate that song!

Jeez, I thought I was the only person who hates Hotel California.   ???

As I grow older, and the same song hits my auditory nerve for the umpteen millionth time, I find that there are some I truly despise from the first note.  And I couldn't even tell you exactly why in most cases.  Invariably, though, as soon as it comes on, I turn it off.

Gusington

I love Jimi Hendrix. And I also never liked The Eagles. I like Glenn Frey and Don Henley solo stuff a lot more for some reason. Except for Glenn Frey's Miami Vice phase. Like Smuggler's Blues. Now that's godawful.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

What is the obsession with the Doors? A band with a couple of decent songs and a bunch of B-sides. Dying young was the best thing that happened to Jim Morrison career-wise.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Arctic Blast

Quote from: mirth on July 27, 2014, 05:05:49 PM
What is the obsession with the Doors? A band with a couple of decent songs and a bunch of B-sides. Dying young was the best thing that happened to Jim Morrison career-wise.

THANK YOU. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Morrison drunkenly rambling into a microphone is apparently 'genius', while the endless keyboard noodling makes me want to track down Ray Manzarek and stab him. Ugh.

They are better than the Eagles, though. That also isn't saying much.

undercovergeek

Pffft Doors - guy couldn't sing a fkng note