I withdraw my support for RPS and eat a large slice of humble pie

Started by Huw the Poo, August 23, 2014, 03:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MengJiao

Quote from: Boggit on August 23, 2014, 09:26:12 PM
WTH is that all about? Isn't it easier just to let the games be the news? :o

  It's news that games are not a cultural backwater anymore, I guess.  I have to say I mostly read RPS to feel smug and self-satisfied that I have no idea what they are talking about and happy that I rarely have any interest in the games they cover.

Still I do read it and someday I hope to see some games on RPS that I might consider playing.

Boggit

Quote from: bob48 on August 25, 2014, 09:07:51 AM
That could be a bit of a handful........I hope  ;)
I see you find the idea of that game has titillating... Up for a pre-order then?;)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: MengJiao on August 25, 2014, 09:48:37 AM
Quote from: Boggit on August 23, 2014, 09:26:12 PM
WTH is that all about? Isn't it easier just to let the games be the news? :o

  It's news that games are not a cultural backwater anymore, I guess.  I have to say I mostly read RPS to feel smug and self-satisfied that I have no idea what they are talking about and happy that I rarely have any interest in the games they cover.

Still I do read it and someday I hope to see some games on RPS that I might consider playing.
I suppose in fairness, they are trying to appeal to a wider audience. We are fairly hardcore with our wargames, strategy games, flight sims, RPGs etc - a different audience perhaps?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bayonetbrant

I tried to read a few posts here and there.  There's clearly a lot of backstory involved and an assumption of knoweldge of characters from other communities.  Kind of like season 5 of Lost.  Or half the jokes we make here.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

Quote from: Boggit on August 25, 2014, 09:54:24 AM
Quote from: bob48 on August 25, 2014, 09:07:51 AM
That could be a bit of a handful........I hope  ;)
I see you find the idea of that game has titillating... Up for a pre-order then?;)

Outstanding - I like thrust of your argument.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 25, 2014, 09:58:59 AM
Or half the jokes we make here.

this half - boobs

that half - puns

which half were you referring to?

MengJiao

Quote from: Boggit on August 25, 2014, 09:58:23 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 25, 2014, 09:48:37 AM
Quote from: Boggit on August 23, 2014, 09:26:12 PM
WTH is that all about? Isn't it easier just to let the games be the news? :o

  It's news that games are not a cultural backwater anymore, I guess.  I have to say I mostly read RPS to feel smug and self-satisfied that I have no idea what they are talking about and happy that I rarely have any interest in the games they cover.

Still I do read it and someday I hope to see some games on RPS that I might consider playing.
I suppose in fairness, they are trying to appeal to a wider audience. We are fairly hardcore with our wargames, strategy games, flight sims, RPGs etc - a different audience perhaps?

  I'm not sure how different the audience is.  I rarely read the comments and I had no idea they had a forum.  One difference could be what we think of as "cutting-edge" versus what they think of as "cutting-edge"...to me the cutting edge (ie the developments that are inherently interesting even if not my cup of tea) is better simulation accuracy -- better boats, ships and planes, better methods for simulating armed conflicts and so on.  For them -- I'd say they really are not sure, the cutting edge could be anything that suddenly has a big audience.  Which means they spend a lot of time looking at stuff that has tiny audiences or no audience but which might be the "next big thing".
Off hand I'd say that means 99% of the stuff they look at is a pure waste of time since clearly not every little thing can be the next big thing.  But I am happy to at least hear about it.

Boggit

Quote from: MengJiao on August 25, 2014, 10:37:50 AM
Quote from: Boggit on August 25, 2014, 09:58:23 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 25, 2014, 09:48:37 AM
Quote from: Boggit on August 23, 2014, 09:26:12 PM
WTH is that all about? Isn't it easier just to let the games be the news? :o

  It's news that games are not a cultural backwater anymore, I guess.  I have to say I mostly read RPS to feel smug and self-satisfied that I have no idea what they are talking about and happy that I rarely have any interest in the games they cover.

Still I do read it and someday I hope to see some games on RPS that I might consider playing.
I suppose in fairness, they are trying to appeal to a wider audience. We are fairly hardcore with our wargames, strategy games, flight sims, RPGs etc - a different audience perhaps?

  I'm not sure how different the audience is.  I rarely read the comments and I had no idea they had a forum.  One difference could be what we think of as "cutting-edge" versus what they think of as "cutting-edge"...to me the cutting edge (ie the developments that are inherently interesting even if not my cup of tea) is better simulation accuracy -- better boats, ships and planes, better methods for simulating armed conflicts and so on.  For them -- I'd say they really are not sure, the cutting edge could be anything that suddenly has a big audience.  Which means they spend a lot of time looking at stuff that has tiny audiences or no audience but which might be the "next big thing".
Off hand I'd say that means 99% of the stuff they look at is a pure waste of time since clearly not every little thing can be the next big thing.  But I am happy to at least hear about it.
You could be right, but in all honesty I can't answer for them. I agree with your definition of "cutting edge" - but then, like you - we're both Grogs! 8)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

panzerde

Quote from: Barthheart on August 25, 2014, 07:17:46 AM
It's like you were there!  :2funny:

C'mon Vance, be fair: those guys are way cooler than us.

OTOH, we did have Canadians....
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Gusington

That's me in the back left of that pic, btw. It's a while back tbough, at least fwo weeks :)
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 25, 2014, 10:33:23 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 25, 2014, 09:58:59 AM
Or half the jokes we make here.

this half - boobs

that half - puns

which half were you referring to?

We can always branch out. You are never too old to teach dawgs tricks, as the old saying goes.

Hey diddle diddle, there's a pun in the middle
those heaving chests all look so nice
lets roll those cups
until snake eyes come up
the contents are worth grabbing twice.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Toonces

Quote from: Boggit on August 25, 2014, 07:22:25 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 24, 2014, 09:32:02 PM
The real crime of all of this is Zoe Quinn isn't even hot. Does that put me on the right or wrong side of this issue?
You weren't attracted to the blue hair, and the stud in the lip then? :2funny:

Whatchutalkin' about Willis?  Zoe Quinn is HOT!





:D

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Anyway, hopefully this fight doesn't cleave a rift in the gaming community.

:o
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MikeGER

Quote from: Toonces on August 26, 2014, 12:47:26 AM
Whatchutalkin' about Willis?  Zoe Quinn is HOT!

img . . . img

well dolled up for a shooting 
(that could be done with almost all 'slim' 27y old  ...see Hollywood movie vs without make up or mugshots of actress)

but that's what you would get in RL / on Skye or something atm  ;)



and thats when you take her out for dinner...  or The Lord help us!, the Navy ball   ;D

Jarhead0331

This sort of reminds me of the whole Shannon Faulkner episode. This young woman fought so hard for the right to attend an all male military school, the Citadel, even taking the school to court in litigation lasting for years, and finally won. She matriculated to great fanfare and unceremoniously quit after about a week.

THe point is, there are so few women in gaming and there seems to be such a push over at RPS for universal woman's suffrage in gaming, that this episode should be so embarrassing to all the parties involved. What I find even more amusing is that it wouldn't even be an issue if RPS hadn't jumped on the culture wasting wagon called political correctness.

Moral of the story, if you do not want to encourage misoginism...don't be a whore.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18