HOI3 saved game deletes

Started by Rayfer, August 24, 2014, 02:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Rayfer

I do not have the Steam version, mine is a Gamersgate download.  There is no in-game way to delete saved games. When I go to the HOI3 file in program folder there is, indeed, a save game folder within it. But it is empty? Where are the saved games. I have many false starts I would like to delete.  Thanks.

undercovergeek

documents/paradox/hoi3/saved games

WYBaugh

Dammit beat me to it:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Hearts of Iron III\save games

Ian C

#3
Paradox only added a Delete Savegame button with the release of Crusader Kings II.

I petitioned for them adding one to all their games years ago, on their forum around the time of Hearts of Iron 3 pre-release and I got flame-grilled by hordes of Paradox troll fanbois with "you don't need a delete button - everyone knows you go to (LOCATION ON PC) and delete them. Why do you need it?"

Seriously.

On another memorable occasion I got a call from a friend whose PC I'd built, asking for help with an odd memory issue on his hard drive. He had around 40 GB of invisible bloat. I found it was savegames of Victoria, Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron. He looked at me like he'd eaten crap and said "Why don't they put a ****ing delete button for savegames? EVERY GAME I have has one".
I suggested he go on the forums and politely make his point. He registered, posted, got banned.

This doesn't happen any more and I heard there will be a delete saved game button on Hearts of Iron 4.

I'll miss the good old days.


Rayfer

Thanks everyone....appreciate it...!!

Greybriar

Quote from: Ian C on August 24, 2014, 04:05:47 PM
....He registered, posted, got banned....

That says tons about the moderators on the Paradox forums. It also explains why I don't post there anymore.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Ian C

#6
Quote from: Greybriar on August 25, 2014, 01:41:48 PM
That says tons about the moderators on the Paradox forums. It also explains why I don't post there anymore.


To be fair, it was some time ago. The forums these days appear to be somewhat easier going. There's quite a bit of good-natured banter going on between devs and the public and I've not seen any bans for some time.

I've worked with software companies, games companies. I was also head of marketing for a software company and I know a bit about good PR. I've been online since 2000 and I've always been a good-mannered guy. Treated others with respect. Never flamed. Never used anonymity to be a belligerent bastard online, never.

I had an infraction once for posting in a thread 'that I hoped HOI 3, before it was released, would be in a better state than previous releases, but based on past experiences, it probably wouldn't be'.
I also commented 'that the thread would probably be closed for me saying that'.

It was indeed closed and the mod gave me an infraction penalty for 'arguing moderator decision', which was in effect, him penalizing me for foreseeing the thread being closed.
For me, that was the end of my posting there as I realised I was dealing with a bunch of spiteful unprofessional morons. The clincher was when they also banned people, locking them out from their accounts to which all there games were registered. Those people could no longer download patches or get support for their legitimately bought games.
As it turned it, I was also right about the state of HOI3 on release, which was a disaster.

I know this is a while back, but these things tend to stick around when you leave customers with a bitter taste. Companies that treat good customers like crap can't expect time to wash things over. Not without apologies –and I haven't had one, nor have the people they locked out. I'll still buy their games, but, you know, screw 'em.
There are a few people that used to be on that forum I wouldn't piss on to save if they were burning.







undercovergeek

I think the easier going approach may coincide with their much improved release state of their games, I think new guys coming to paradox as of ck2 will wonder what all the fuss was about..... since that day I think they've done a lot of things right

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 25, 2014, 06:58:59 PM
I think the easier going approach may coincide with their much improved release state of their games, I think new guys coming to paradox as of ck2 will wonder what all the fuss was about..... since that day I think they've done a lot of things right
wow. Who would've thunked that releasing a game in shit state would get your communities collective back up and fixing that issue would calm them down?  ;D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

lol, yeah i know

but as Ian C alludes to, theres still a lot of hostility and bad feeling, but for the guys who didnt know and see Paradox only from CKII onwards it'd be hard to understand

Nefaro

#10
I recall the nastiness on the Paradox forums around '00 and '01.  The original HOI was a damn mess and ended up being patched & re-released not long after as a whole new title (HOI2), which was frustrating.  Then it got worse after 9/11 when the place erupted into animosity from all sides (some of it rather shocking).  It was ridiculous and at least a portion of the moderators made it worse with what looked to be biased bans.  I stopped frequenting the place and buying their unfinished games for awhile until they got their sheet together years later.

endfire79

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 26, 2014, 05:14:45 AM
lol, yeah i know

but as Ian C alludes to, theres still a lot of hostility and bad feeling, but for the guys who didnt know and see Paradox only from CKII onwards it'd be hard to understand

Their lack of a delete save game capability always bugged me, since EU2.  I've only had the chance to jump into CK2 recently and love it.  The delete feature was a genuine surprise (surprised it took close to ten years.) Don't  get me wrong, I love this game, the soundtrack is stuck in my head.
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

Ian C

Wow, what a blast from the past. If you like an entertaining read... http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?435407-Please-Include-Savegame-Delete-Or-I-WIll-Jump&s=831360be9e2f6de0a3df1c403914d69f

I particularly like the 
QuoteWow this is possibly one of the most retarded threads in this forum. DURR DON'T INCLUDE DELETE BUTTAN, I'M TOO HARDCORE FOR CONVENIENCE!!11!

Whilst we're at it lets ditch Windows and go back to MSDOS, nothing says Hardcore PC like command prompts.






Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

endfire79

#14
Wow, hard to believe some of those replies, in particular this one:

If going to delete savefiles in a folder seems to be a daunting task, then perhaps console gaming is an option to consider. In that world, everything is streamlined and simplified. So that evey game experience feels the same...Yay?

What a twat.  On positive note, hopefully the other current series of games has progressed beyond this old limitation
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."