Worlds of Magic Project Update #41

Started by Greybriar, August 25, 2014, 03:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tgb

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on August 26, 2014, 06:26:09 PM
Hope I'm proved wrong but as this is a Wasteland game I hope they finish it before moving onto their next game.

I'm definitely holding off until after release to await positive reviews / posts before even thinking about buying.

Once burnt (or thrice in my case) twice shy, as they say.

Yeah, I didn't want to be the one to piss on the potato chips, but I feel the same way.  I've bought just about everything Wasteland has produced, and the best thing that could be said about them was that after a couple of patches the games were just ok.

Greybriar

Having purchased a number of Wastelands games, I know how you guys feel. But as the saying goes, "Hope springs eternal in the human breast...." I have been waiting a long time for an updated Master of Magic and I'm hoping Worlds of Magic will be the game I've been waiting for.

Wastelands Interactive hasn't been the first to make the claim that its game would be a successor to Master of Magic (remember Elemental: War of Magic?). I just hope its claim will be a valid one.

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Huw the Poo

Hey, there's a gameplay video right up there!  Clearly it's working just fine!

Rayfer

Quote from: Greybriar on August 27, 2014, 03:36:11 AM
Having purchased a number of Wastelands games, I know how you guys feel. But as the saying goes, "Hope springs eternal in the human breast...." I have been waiting a long time for an updated Master of Magic and I'm hoping Worlds of Magic will be the game I've been waiting for.

Wastelands Interactive hasn't been the first to make the claim that its game would be a successor to Master of Magic (remember Elemental: War of Magic?). I just hope its claim will be a valid one.

There will never be a spiritual successor to Master of Magic or any other old game, ever....rather than let bygone memories of an ancient game taint my expectations and enjoyment of new releases I learned to just let it go and move on.  The past is over, gone and will never come again. If I want Master of Magic then I play it....it's on GOG with the DOS emulator built right in. IMHO the new games in this genre are far superior to anything MoM ever was. I loved MoM in its day, played it to death, but playing it on GOG today is painful to watch, hear and, at best, is cumbersome to play.

Huw the Poo

Well said, Rayfer.  I actually didn't play MoM (god knows what I was doing at the time) but you can say the same for many old classics.  There are very few of them that are unique enough in their genre to hold up well today.  I didn't play MoM but I'm willing to bet that if I had, I'd still prefer games like Fallen Enchantress and AoW2:SM.

Rayfer

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 27, 2014, 07:38:07 AM
Well said, Rayfer.  I actually didn't play MoM (god knows what I was doing at the time) but you can say the same for many old classics.  There are very few of them that are unique enough in their genre to hold up well today.  I didn't play MoM but I'm willing to bet that if I had, I'd still prefer games like Fallen Enchantress and AoW2:SM.

Exactly. Like the original Xcom. An awesome game in its day and another I put countless hours into. When Xcom:Enemy Unknown came out in 2012 many people disliked it because it wasn't the 'spiritual successor' to the original because it lacked some of the original's features. I thought the new one was great in and of itself and needed no comparison to the old one to be enjoyed.  Ps. I too like FA:Legendary Heros....great game.

Martok

As I never played the original MOM, I can't really say I'm hoping for a spiritual successor.  I just want a good fantasy 4x game, that's all, and I liked Wasteland's KS presentation for WoM. 




Quote from: Greybriar on August 26, 2014, 03:59:18 PM
Yes, Martok, I am a Worlds of Magic Kickstarter backer. As a matter of fact, I backed both Worlds of Magic Kickstarters.  :)
Ha, nice. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Greybriar

Quote from: Rayfer on August 27, 2014, 07:08:51 AM
There will never be a spiritual successor to Master of Magic or any other old game, ever....

It's been done before. Clash of Steel: World War II, Europe 1939-45 became Strategic Command: European Theater, to name one. And what about the Age of Wonders series? Then there's Colonization and Civilization IV: Colonization.

What is so impossible about updating an old game while keeping the basic gameplay either the same or very similar?
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Rayfer

Quote from: Greybriar on August 27, 2014, 03:03:57 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on August 27, 2014, 07:08:51 AM
There will never be a spiritual successor to Master of Magic or any other old game, ever....

It's been done before. Clash of Steel: World War II, Europe 1939-45 became Strategic Command: European Theater, to name one. And what about the Age of Wonders series? Then there's Colonization and Civilization IV: Colonization.

What is so impossible about updating an old game while keeping the basic gameplay either the same or very similar?

In retrospect I would have posted it differently. It's all a subjective opinion anyway. My experience with GOG has been an eye opener. Old games I absolutely loved, like MoM and Xcom, just don't do it for me anymore, purchasing them was a waste of money....the newer games in those genres are so much better...again, just my experience.  A series of ongoing releases like the Civ games, EU and HOI are a different case altogether.  They are more an evolution than a remake. The original Xcom and the 2012 release of Xcom: Enemy Unknown is entirely different. 

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Rayfer on August 27, 2014, 03:34:36 PM
In retrospect I would have posted it differently. It's all a subjective opinion anyway. My experience with GOG has been an eye opener. Old games I absolutely loved, like MoM and Xcom, just don't do it for me anymore, purchasing them was a waste of money....the newer games in those genres are so much better...again, just my experience.  A series of ongoing releases like the Civ games, EU and HOI are a different case altogether.  They are more an evolution than a remake. The original Xcom and the 2012 release of Xcom: Enemy Unknown is entirely different. 

Man, you and I are on exactly the same page.  When I first discovered GOG I bought a shameful amount of stuff, played each title, and was markedly underwhelmed.  I'm not sure what I was expecting, but whatever it was, I didn't get it.

Greybriar

Quote from: Rayfer on August 27, 2014, 03:34:36 PM
In retrospect I would have posted it differently. It's all a subjective opinion anyway. My experience with GOG has been an eye opener. Old games I absolutely loved, like MoM and Xcom, just don't do it for me anymore, purchasing them was a waste of money....the newer games in those genres are so much better...again, just my experience.  A series of ongoing releases like the Civ games, EU and HOI are a different case altogether.  They are more an evolution than a remake. The original Xcom and the 2012 release of Xcom: Enemy Unknown is entirely different.

It is indeed subjective. I wouldn't consider the bulk of the newer PC games any better than the old ones they are trying to "reimagine." They are prettier due to having better graphics and their interfaces are more user-friendly, but their basic gameplay is usually more limited due to them being designed to run on consoles as well as on PCs.

I have nothing against new games. I just wish there were more of them being released that I would like to play as much as I did the old titles.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

doomtrader

I can only confirm that Worlds of Magic is going to be released on 11th of September.

If you guys have any questions I will try to answer.

Tpek

Is that the date for the full release or the Early-Access/Beta?
If not, when is the beta going to start? (it's nearly September)

doomtrader

This is going to be Early Access release in beta stage.

The backers STEAM keys should be sent on 4th.

Huw the Poo

This is being released on Linux!!! \o/

I bet my PC ain't up to the task though.  Although it does run AoW3.