Main Menu

Pike and Shot

Started by Rayfer, September 05, 2014, 09:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd


jomni

#167
Yep. Takeda.

I am now quite comfortable with the system, artworks and data files. The modding will go full swing and I will post updates.  Only thing left to learn is scripting (for scenario) but that can come later. Just by painting skins and setting the OOB, we can already play non-historical skirmish. I will release the preview file when I get at least two opposing clans "fully painted".


Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on November 10, 2014, 01:17:59 AM
Yep. Takeda.

I am now quite comfortable with the system, artworks and data files. The modding will go full swing and I will post updates.  Only thing left to learn is scripting (for scenario) but that can come later. Just by painting skins and setting the OOB, we can already play non-historical skirmish. I will release the preview file when I get at least two opposing clans "fully painted".

What's the other clan gonna be?  Uesugi?  Tokugawa/Oda?  ^-^

jomni

#169
Bingo! Uesugi is the next clan I'm going to make after Takeda. 4th Kawanakajima is the first historical scenario to be set up.

Under Takeda and other Daimio,  I will be making sub factions too for prominent generals with their own banners for better historical feel (if I am able to find them).  So in Kawanakajima you will see Takeda Shingen,  his brother, and other prominent generals.  As a plus, by the way armies work in the game, each general can be selected to fight individually against another opposing general in Skirmish mode.  OOB of each general will be based on GMT Games Samurai. Historical battles will be based on the ones available in that board game.


Gusington

I would get this game just to play your Japanese scenario campaign. Didn't realize that full campaigns can be created here.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Is the art work 3d or bmp?

Cyrano

Well, Jomni is definitely answering the question re: whether or not P&S is moddable!

This era has long been one of my few areas of historical disinterest (can't rightly say why), but I'm glad to see the engine getting some love!

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

PipFromSlitherine

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 10, 2014, 08:50:21 AM
Is the art work 3d or bmp?
You can both change the textures for already-built 3D models (which just involves drawing, of course).  You can also build and export your own 3D models as you desire (exporters currently exist for MAX and Blender as well as (IIRC) a gMAX hack which some people also use).

Cheers

Pip

jomni

Test skirmish battle.  Fine tuning the stats.  Cavalry charge don't really work head-on.  Wonder if that is historical. I'm asking for suggestions on how to tweak the unit stats in the Slitherine forums.


panzerde

Quote from: Cyrano on November 10, 2014, 01:15:08 PM
Well, Jomni is definitely answering the question re: whether or not P&S is moddable!

This era has long been one of my few areas of historical disinterest (can't rightly say why), but I'm glad to see the engine getting some love!



Lack of jeeps?

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

Quote from: jomni on November 10, 2014, 05:11:52 PM
Test skirmish battle.  Fine tuning the stats.  Cavalry charge don't really work head-on.  Wonder if that is historical. I'm asking for suggestions on how to tweak the unit stats in the Slitherine forums.


This is looking very nice!


Up until Gustav Adolph, Renaissance European cavalry had pretty much discarded shock tactics. There's probably enough difference in the game parameters in P&S for European cavalry versus Swiss or Landsknecht pikes rather than Samurai versus Ashigaru spearmen to skew things considerably.


On top of that I think the P&S pike formations are probably a bit too invulnerable to cavalry, even given the tactics of the time. Even cuirassiers in P&S can't take on pike formations in a frontal charge. My guess is that not only should you amp up the shock value of Samurai cavalry but turn down the pike formation invulnerability - particularly on the flanks.


Fortunately it should be pretty easy to map the P&S light cavalry to bow armed Samurai cavalry and the cuirassiers to yari and katana armed Samurai.


Being able to set up the forces so that you can skirmish generals is a nice touch!

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

jomni

Quote from: Gusington on November 10, 2014, 08:41:47 AM
I would get this game just to play your Japanese scenario campaign. Didn't realize that full campaigns can be created here.

The way mods work is that all modified data files, 3d models, textures,  scenarios, scripts, etc. are placed in a separate campaign folder. That way, they do not mess up the core game assets.

Gusington

^Yep. For the last 10-12 years...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: panzerde on November 10, 2014, 05:33:00 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on November 10, 2014, 01:15:08 PM
Well, Jomni is definitely answering the question re: whether or not P&S is moddable!

This era has long been one of my few areas of historical disinterest (can't rightly say why), but I'm glad to see the engine getting some love!



Lack of jeeps?


Ha!   ;D


Does Cyrano play anything besides WW2?   :))