Main Menu

Pike and Shot

Started by Rayfer, September 05, 2014, 09:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

panzerde

Quote from: Nefaro on November 10, 2014, 08:23:13 PM
Quote from: panzerde on November 10, 2014, 05:33:00 PM
Lack of jeeps?


Ha!   ;D


Does Cyrano play anything besides WW2?   :))


He does, he and I are about ten turns in to a Napoleonic scenario in Campaign Leipzig and within a turn or two of finishing up Pavia in Renaissance. However, if the game has soft-skinned light personnel carrying vehicles, he has a reputation for bringing overwhelming firepower to bear.


(He's not really that gratuitous in his attacks, but I had to get him back for suggesting that my use of Cossacks to run down his fleeing French skirmishers was 'on par with jeep-killing').  ;)


In all seriousness if you want an excellent PBEM opponent for just about any era, Jim is your man.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

jomni

#181
Eureka moment.

I may have finally found the solution to my Japanese cavalry problem.  Based on the resource below which agrees with GMT Samurai depiction, horse units are mixed. 2 spearmen for each horsemen.
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=277195

Based on this, I will simply model japanese cavalry as fast moving heavy hitting infantry. Of course I will still use a cavalry 3d model. This will make them more valuable and effective than P&S pure horse units. During the Renaissance they are losing their usefulness. It will be a big deviation from common western notion of cavalry.



panzerde

That's really interesting information, Jomni. It certainly reflects a completely different approach to organization than in a Western army. Somewhat similar to the idea of a Medieval "lance" in some respects, and for similar reasons: these are formations based around fighting between individual noble warriors assisted by retainers.


If these are accurate representations of samurai army organization then there really isn't anything similar to a western heavy cavalry charge being employed. Horses are transport but not used for shock tactics.


Thanks for digging that up! It certainly turns my ideas of Sengoku era army organization upside down. Given that those idea primarily come from playing Total War games, I shouldn't be surprised!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

jomni

#183
Intersting stuff.  Makes you question the classic image of Takeda cavalry charging Oda rifles at Nagashino. Yes they had a lot horses then but not organized as a real cavalry troop. It just meant all the mounted samurai charged ahead of the attached foot troops.

Nefaro

#184
Yeah that's interesting stuff. 

I picked up Ran on the GMT sale, along with Hoplite.  Gotta decide which to learn & play first.  From the sound of it, Hoplite may be quicker to learn since it's a newer trimmed down ruleset, and fewer special rules.  But I'm also very curious about some of the historical Sengoku Jidai battles and some of their unique nuances.  Tough decision.   :smiley6600:

I've always enjoyed playing the Mori Clan in TW.  And just getting roflstomped as them in the unfortunately simplistic Paradox game (wish they would've filled that out like CK2!  That would be awesome).  Not one of the biggest names, so it's a bit off the beaten path.  Still need to finish learning A Most Dangerous Time too, although the translated rules can be a bit ambiguous in places.   That looked like the only English grand strategy tabletop wargame on the subject that was worth a shot.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on November 12, 2014, 06:44:13 AM
Yeah that's interesting stuff. 

I picked up Ran on the GMT sale, along with Hoplite.  Gotta decide which to learn & play first.  From the sound of it, Hoplite may be quicker to learn since it's a newer trimmed down ruleset, and fewer special rules.  But I'm also very curious about some of the historical Sengoku Jidai battles and some of their unique nuances.  Tough decision.   :smiley6600:

I've always enjoyed playing the Mori Clan in TW.  And just getting roflstomped as them in the unfortunately simplistic Paradox game (wish they would've filled that out like CK2!  That would be awesome).  Not one of the biggest names, so it's a bit off the beaten path.  Still need to finish learning A Most Dangerous Time too, although the translated rules can be a bit ambiguous in places.   That looked like the only English grand strategy tabletop wargame on the subject that was worth a shot.

  Hoplite is a weirdly subtle and elegant game -- at least for the smaller scenarios.  It also includes the largest GBofH scenario, Plataea, which is a different animal, I would think.  I doubt I will ever play it.

Anguille


jomni

#187
The famed Takeda cavalry in their red armor.   I made the other cavalry (non-hatamoto / bodyguards) wear black so that they can be easily identified.  The banner for the bodyguards are big and square (uma-jirushi)to indicate a commander unit instead of the thin unit banners (hata-jirushi, nobori).



Painting the men is tedious.  You work with a small 256 x 256 texture file so I have to do it by the pixel.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on November 13, 2014, 06:12:13 PM


Painting the men is tedious.  You work with a small 256 x 256 texture file so I have to do it by the pixel.

That looks good Jomni.

Conversion mods always take time.  I'm sure many modders give up in frustration before finishing because they expected to be done much earlier than they had originally planned.  Patience Grasshoppa.  :)

Jarhead0331

Looking really good, Jomni! Keep it up!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


jomni

#190
Uesugi.  Take note of the 'Bi' character in the banner of the horsemen at the back.  Kenshin is devoted Bishamonten, a buddhist god of war.
As for the infantry, I changed the tunic color under the black armor to mustard in a newer version.


Takeda army fully painted.  Red armor troops are elite.
As for the infantry, I changed the pants color to grey in a newer version as they looked too much like spiderman.


spelk

Pike and Shot is the topic of this weeks Three Moves Ahead podcast

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/this-is-my-arquebus

Jack Nastyface

Thought you might like this Extra History youtube on the Sengoku Jidai:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDsdkoln59A
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

jomni

Looks like I stumbled into a limitation in the editor. You can only make use of a limited number of skins per 3d model.  My mod shares the same 3d models of the different generals. So my dreams of having several generals with their own banners in a single battle are shattered.

I'm stumped! Whatever I do from now will just be for skirmish. :/

jomni

Pike and Shot Patched.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=299&t=54371&sid=3e77aeffa5250cd16862af215b3e06c8

But there's a problem with the non-Steam  installer.  Steam is fine.