This year's Darwin Gaming Award goes to......

Started by JudgeDredd, September 06, 2014, 12:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

********************   D R U M     R O L L   ********************

ME!

So I bought my Hauler. 28k. I had 40+k.

I was doing well, making money by trading and more profit each run with the bigger cargo hold on the Hauler. That was until...I took off in I-BOOTIS, for some bizarre reason I flew towards the entrance at full pelt...rammed into the wall, was quickly notified shields were offline and BAM! Destroyed.

No biggie - I've been making money, right...well, except for the fact that I had just loaded up with Crop Harvesters and fish...leaving me the grand total of 2436 credits. To re-buy my Hauler, I needed 2636 credits!!

You honestly couldn't make this up. I've just set myself all the way back to where I was two weeks ago for being an arse!  :uglystupid2:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

Oh fk you're kidding!

There's a thread on the elite beta forums about the saddest thing you've done so far...... One guy splashed everything on an anaconda, lost control at the station exit, rammed a police viper making it explode, instantly set off the stations defences and got turned to space dust without a penny in the bank..... free sidewinder sir?

TacticalWargames

Be glad it isn't Star Citizen and you haven' been paying your insurance..spaceship what so ever. A massive scam that. Insurance is a pain in real life..now having to pay it in a game!!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 06, 2014, 01:00:03 PM
Oh fk you're kidding!

There's a thread on the elite beta forums about the saddest thing you've done so far...... One guy splashed everything on an anaconda, lost control at the station exit, rammed a police viper making it explode, instantly set off the stations defences and got turned to space dust without a penny in the bank..... free sidewinder sir?
Nope - no kidding. I'm proper gutted but kinda like "WTF were you thinking you moron!"

Yep - back on the Sidewinder with 2436 credits.

The real, REAL annoying thing is I was 200 credits short for my insurance! That was one, just ONE ton of fish!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Swatter

That happened to me to :-(

I also ran into a bug where the insurance doesn't pop up correctly and you lose your ship :-(

You must give yourself room in this game before you upgrade or you are just asking for trouble.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Swatter on September 06, 2014, 05:19:19 PM
That happened to me to :-(

I also ran into a bug where the insurance doesn't pop up correctly and you lose your ship :-(

You must give yourself room in this game before you upgrade or you are just asking for trouble.

that was fixed in 1.04 AFAIK

bbmike

After reading this thread I realize I have no idea what any of you are talking about.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

panzerde

Buying an expensive ship and then losing it without having your insurance in place sounds totally like Eve Online. Except there it's usually because some putz blew you up.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

JudgeDredd

Quote from: panzerde on September 08, 2014, 05:01:04 PM
Buying an expensive ship and then losing it without having your insurance in place sounds totally like Eve Online. Except there it's usually because some putz blew you up.
Maybe I didn't look - but I didn't know how to find out how much insurance I needed. Regardless actually because I really thought I had it covered because I had been making money. What I failed to do was check how much I had AFTER I bought my goods and left the station (or tried to)...but even if I had checked how much I had, I wasn't aware how much I needed as cover. It does probably tell you in game somewhere, but I don't know where that is.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

panzerde

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 08, 2014, 05:21:40 PM
Maybe I didn't look - but I didn't know how to find out how much insurance I needed. Regardless actually because I really thought I had it covered because I had been making money. What I failed to do was check how much I had AFTER I bought my goods and left the station (or tried to)...but even if I had checked how much I had, I wasn't aware how much I needed as cover. It does probably tell you in game somewhere, but I don't know where that is.

That was a compliment to the game, btw, not meant as a slight to you, at all. Heck, at least you had some insurance, I'm 100% confident that shortly after I purchase my first expensive ship I'll remember the need to buy any insurance ten seconds into a harrowing situation where I'm likely to get totally destroyed. I know this because I've done it in Eve not once, but multiple times.

I like that there are consequences like this in the game, and you don't just get to start over. Makes it worth playing in my book!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

undercovergeek

buys hauler and leaves 5k in the bank

buys 4.99k worth of fish, risks a flight across 3 zones to make a 8k profit and get some spending money

sells guns to lighten ship

comes out of hyperspace into a war zone, flies straight thru conflict area as shots ping off hull

jump into final destination with pirates in pursuit

get to within 1km of trading port and is denied access

spend the most exhilirating 8 mins in my PC gaming history flying around the space station trying to avoid pirates and get landing permission at same time

head for docking port, pirate actually follows me in, shooting me within the station itself

stations defenses kick in and destroy him as i land

sell fish

laugh and go make cup of tea with shaking hands

awesome

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


JudgeDredd

Good skillz UCG...a big risk though  :)

I didn't take it personally panzerde - I was just trying to give some explanation to my stupidity  :idiot2:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

id got used to dealing in the sexy items - crop harvesters, personal weapons, marine supplies - i didnt want my first job to be a bio-waste run but thats what happened and then fish, i actually plotted courses and worked out all kinds of routes to go beyond Chi Hercules last night only to exit the station and get 'Frameshift has malfunctioned'

i thought it was a bug or an error - turns out i was trying to jump beyond the 'demo' bubble into unknown space - its about 0.2 light years outside the border!! thats what led to the fish jump all the way back to civilisation at Aulin. I had a feeling id have trouble docking, its been all over the beta forums that the more new people join the bigger the queues are at popular stations not far from the starting point.

So now i have 13k, a full tank of diesel and im looking at all the mineral trading activity underneath Aulin that looks quite tasty