Frightening Reads With a Supernatural Bent

Started by Gusington, September 22, 2014, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Today's the last day of summer. Time to turn up the Type O Negative, grab an apple cider and scare the crap out of yourself. What do you recommend? My Amazon shopping cart awaits your recommendations.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

James Herbert - 'The Rats'

Scared 7 sorts of poo outta me, anyway.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Hmm never heard of it, Bawb. Off to Amazon to peruse...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on September 22, 2014, 03:51:58 PM
Hmm never heard of it, Bawb. Off to Amazon to peruse...

And if that ain't enough, then the 'Dark Tower' series by Stephen King (7 books).
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Thank you Bawb. I've heard good things about Dark Tower.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Swan Song, Boy's Life, The Wolf's Hour, They Thirst, The Night Boat and Stinger by Robert McCammon. I could name half a dozen more by the same author.

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. One of the best Dracula novels ever written and more in line with classic horror than modern, it starts at a slow, mysterious pace and escalates in steady stages. By the time you actually meet Dracula, the experience is far more profound than if he had been there from page one. It's a huge book and not a quick thrill, but one of my favorites.

Tap, Tap by David Martin.

Strangers by Dean Koontz (before he sucked). Not exactly a horror novel ( I don't want to tell you what it is...Koontz bends genre's like a transgender Halloween party at Star's house), but there are tons of spooky moments before you finally figure out what the hell is going on. And for goodness sake, if you haven't read "Watchers" by Koontz, put it at the top of your list. Again, not strictly a horror but if you get through the early scene in the forest without nearly peeing yourself, you get a gold star. Two of my all time favorite novels, and I have a tough list.

Steelgrave

Oh yeah...Tick, Tock and Hideaway, also by Koontz.

undercovergeek

Salems Lot is the only book that ever made me go get the washing off the line in the dark with a bread knife in my hand

Steelgrave

^The bathtub scene in "The Shining". I can still hear her wet feet walking across the tile.....

undercovergeek

lol yeah that too

havent read a real scary book in ages

Steelgrave

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 22, 2014, 07:14:36 PM
lol yeah that too

havent read a real scary book in ages

The daily news is usually scary enough for me....

Gusington

I read a lot of Koontz about 20 years ago...he still has it?

I have a hardcopy of The Historian...it's got some awesome reviews and a few not so great ones. It looks like a big commitment...is it a quicker read than it appears?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

TacticalWargames

Quote from: bob48 on September 22, 2014, 03:34:08 PM
James Herbert - 'The Rats'

Scared 7 sorts of poo outta me, anyway.

Read all three of the series when I was 12..loved them back then.

Barthheart

The original Amityville Horror scared the living poop outta me when I was 14.

undercovergeek

i dont know if its the first or second film but in one scene someone slams a bedroom door and theres just a pair of red eyes looking through the bedroom window, no clash of cymbals, no dramatic music, and after a second or two they fade out - i think a bit of wee came out when i saw that as a kid