85% OFF -- Paradox Steam Sale Now Until Oct 6

Started by OJsDad, October 02, 2014, 01:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

Just bought the HOI III collection and Democracy 3 with its two expansions.

At least they'll have good company with all the other Steam games I own and don't play.   :-\

Shelldrake

Just picked up the DLC for Warlock, my new crack. :)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

BanzaiCat


sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 03, 2014, 08:48:53 AM
I disagree on passing on Sword of the Stars 2. Its a great game in its own right. It had a botched release, but has been significantly patched.

+1 -- SotS2 Enhanced Edition is very much worth picking up, esp. at the give-away price of $5 (which gets you both SotS2 and the original).  A very underrated game, for exactly the reason JH mentions, the terrible launch, which sticks in everyone's head as a "stay away!" warning.  It's a great game now.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 03, 2014, 09:04:37 AM
Quote from: Shelldrake on October 03, 2014, 09:00:13 AM
Just picked up the DLC for Warlock, my new crack. :)

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

purchased.


Why didn't you guys just get Warlock 2?  It has all the stuff in the first collection with a few new things doesn't it?

JasonPratt

^^ This is a question I'd also like to see addressed.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!


BanzaiCat

No reason other than I really enjoy Warlock right now. When Warlock 2 goes on super-$3 sale someday, I'll grab it. For now, I saw shinier things that got my attention.

JasonPratt

The impression I get from the Steam reviews and discussion threads, is that WL2 is a slightly buggier incremental upgrade to the original game which comes with locked DLC which you could once buy ingame but cannot anymore, the ingame store having been closed so that the DLC can be made available by "other means" "soon", which appears to mean by two extra larger packages of the base game.

The best advice I saw was to stick with WL1 until at least a clear Game Of The Year package has been released, and then only on sale -- the idea being that you shouldn't have to rebuy at full price what amounts to a point upgrade.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 03, 2014, 05:28:40 PM
The impression I get from the Steam reviews and discussion threads, is that WL2 is a slightly buggier incremental upgrade to the original game which comes with locked DLC which you could once buy ingame but cannot anymore, the ingame store having been closed so that the DLC can be made available by "other means" "soon", which appears to mean by two extra larger packages of the base game.

The best advice I saw was to stick with WL1 until at least a clear Game Of The Year package has been released, and then only on sale -- the idea being that you shouldn't have to rebuy at full price what amounts to a point upgrade.


On sale at $15, Warlock 2 didn't seem to be an expensive upgrade from the original.  *shrug*

Kushan

Piked up the republican EUIV DLC that I was missing. Already have all the CK2 stuff except Sunset Invasion.

Looked at getting HoI3 but with HoI4 on the horizon I think I'll wait. Not that I have time to play another game anyway.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Shelldrake

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 03, 2014, 05:28:40 PM
The impression I get from the Steam reviews and discussion threads, is that WL2 is a slightly buggier incremental upgrade to the original game which comes with locked DLC which you could once buy ingame but cannot anymore, the ingame store having been closed so that the DLC can be made available by "other means" "soon", which appears to mean by two extra larger packages of the base game.

The best advice I saw was to stick with WL1 until at least a clear Game Of The Year package has been released, and then only on sale -- the idea being that you shouldn't have to rebuy at full price what amounts to a point upgrade.

This was also my impression from the reviews I read. Plus I got WL1 free so the DLC was a minimal investment to increase my fun. :)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Nefaro

Quote from: Shelldrake on October 04, 2014, 06:40:18 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on October 03, 2014, 05:28:40 PM
The impression I get from the Steam reviews and discussion threads, is that WL2 is a slightly buggier incremental upgrade to the original game which comes with locked DLC which you could once buy ingame but cannot anymore, the ingame store having been closed so that the DLC can be made available by "other means" "soon", which appears to mean by two extra larger packages of the base game.

The best advice I saw was to stick with WL1 until at least a clear Game Of The Year package has been released, and then only on sale -- the idea being that you shouldn't have to rebuy at full price what amounts to a point upgrade.

This was also my impression from the reviews I read. Plus I got WL1 free so the DLC was a minimal investment to increase my fun. :)

From what I understood, the WL2 DLC was just some little crap beyond anything contained in the first, which many people didn't bother getting.  However, the base WL2 game has everything in WL1, some new units beyond those, and new game mode(s).

From the bit I've played, WL2 is just like WL1 but with some interface improvements and a few extras.  Perhaps I'll play some more to see if there are any bugs left, but there had been some updates after release.  ^-^  I've been pulled into some AOW3 lately, however, so it may not happen for a bit.