Games for the Season - Halloween

Started by Gusington, October 04, 2014, 05:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

Started a similar thread in the book forum and got some great responses, figured I would start one here too.  :smiley6600:

Currently looking at Outlast...looks really frightening:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238320/

Anyone play this? Anyone have any other trouser-soiling recommendations? Note trouser-soiling is different than loin-moistening.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

#1
I bought it last year when it came out.  It's decent.  I really like the video camera interface and the parkouring/peaking system.  The story's not the greatest though.  It's relatively fast paced compared to Amnesia so the scares tend to consist more of things jumping out of the closet at you. After a bit of exploration in the beginning, you're constantly running and hiding as the game rarely lets you catch your breath or feel safe.  It's different from the slow tension building "oh shit, what's around the corner" style you get in Amnesia but it's effective.

I never did finish it as I got sidetracked by something else.  Maybe I'll go back to it.

Giant Bomb has a semi-regular series called Spookin' With Scoops.  A rather panicky little man plays different horror themed games in a darkened room and posts videos of his experiences.  You might want to have a look at his posts to see if anything catches your eye.

Maybe that new Alien Isolation game?

Gusington

^Also looking at The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, which I think you mentioned you were playing...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Gusington on October 04, 2014, 05:57:31 PM
^Also looking at The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, which I think you mentioned you were playing...

Not yet.  I just about pulled the trigger on it but I have a huge backlog of stuff that I should get to first.  I've got 8 games installed on my desktop right now that I've not even tried yet.

-budd-

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 04, 2014, 06:04:15 PM
Not yet.  I just about pulled the trigger on it but I have a huge backlog of stuff that I should get to first.  I've got 8 games installed on my desktop right now that I've not even tried yet.

Wow just 8 neglected games installed, that shows a lot of restraint. I'm defiantly in the mood for a seasonal October game, just not sure what......yet. I have a some choices in my backlog. I finished F.E.A.R. but still have the add-ons to get through so extraction point is a possibility, i really enjoyed  F.E.A.R. I have a couple of older ones with spooky overtones, Afterfall insanity and condemned criminal origins. I also have deadspace to finish ,but i can't seem to play that game for long without it pissing me off, i'm so over the mechanic of being locked in a room with a bunch of creepy hell beings  while being really low on ammo. Then there's the stalker games, i only own shadow of chernobyl. I usually lean toward FPP games for the spooky factor. if i go backlog it will probably be another bout with that spooky bitch alma in extraction point or give deadspace another shot, but i'll look around the sales and see what's what. I will be getting darkwood just not sure when and there's a limit to how spooky a top down game can be ,so basically no idea yet. I'm open to suggestions ;D
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

I loved FEAR, the original Dead Space and the original Stalker. I have a copy of Sanitarium installed...I must have bought it from GoG years ago...still have not tried it. IIRC people enjoyed it. Watching the trailers for Ethan Carter on Steam, and it at least looks beautiful.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Silence of the Sleep has just been released.  Looks like a 2D Silent Hill.

Gusington

^Interesting looking game...artwork kinda reminds me of Betrayer.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd


Gusington

^HA indeed. I have to go pick up the mother in law at Newark airport this afternoon. I should make a game about that.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

As I noted in the other thread, I used to play Lords of Shadow in October for the atmosphere, but I'm kind of LoS'd out right now, having finished 2 recently.

This weekend I was going to play an old strategy game set in a darrrrrkkk settttinnngggg  ^-^ (with bright cheerful colors mostly), but decided to go with Lotro instead, my very first MMO experience (unless one counts a few hours of Demons' Souls, and come to think of it that game and its pseduo-sequels should count very well for the season) which (much like DS) so far has limited the MMOing to seeing other players going through the first mission, too, around me.

Not a whole lot of Octoberish atmosphere yet, but I'm not disappointed!


As always, I shall here shill for a game of which you'd think I have some kind of financial or personal connection to but I don't, seriously. And by shill, as always I mean sing.

Ahem.

Boys and girls of ev-er-y age,
would you like-to-see something strange?
Wolves and shapeshifters you-will annoy,
if you play-the-game Sannng-froiIIIEEEEEEE!!! {murdered by humanoid wolfen non-werewolves}

Sang-Froid: damn yes this is a game for Halloween, even though it's set at Christmas!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Gusington on October 04, 2014, 05:47:00 PM
Started a similar thread in the book forum and got some great responses, figured I would start one here too.  :smiley6600:

Currently looking at Outlast...looks really frightening:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238320/

Anyone play this? Anyone have any other trouser-soiling recommendations? Note trouser-soiling is different than loin-moistening.
bloody hells bells no way! That scared the crap out of me just the video!!

I don't like creepy!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people


JudgeDredd

That I can do - the other one gees me the heeby jeebies!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

tgb

Not necessarily Halloween-themed, but the best zombie game on the market looks like Rebuild 3:Gangs of Deadville.

It's more cartoon-gory than actually scary, and it's still in Beta, but it's plenty stable and playable, and for now only $15.