Games for the Season - Halloween

Started by Gusington, October 04, 2014, 05:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RooksBailey

In August I got a free three day trial of The Secret World.  While it had (sadly) boilerplate MMO conventions, it nevertheless was a creepy and fun game. I recommend it (my thoughts on it here).   Funcom usually puts the game on sale for half price or more for Halloween, so I intend to pick it up then. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Huw the Poo

Yeah I really liked what I saw of The Secret World, but sadly it was quite unstable on my PC for some reason.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I really enjoyed the investigation missions as they were really very challenging.  Unfortunately, they worked on the assumption that your in-game character accessed the real-world internet.  As more and more people played, the Google search engine stopped displaying the info you needed to solve the mystery and instead took you to walk-throughs or game forums where people were discussing the puzzles.

They also petered out after the 2nd location and the game became more of a combat focused grind.

Gusington

#18
Come on JD stop being such a kilted woman!

Secret World eh...*checking* Checking Sang Froid too...

Jason where is Lords of Shadow available? The only thing I see on Steam is the Castlevania 2 game.

EDIT: Sang Froid on sale right now for $1.49 @ Steam!!!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo


JasonPratt

Gus,

My brain seems to think you already have LoS1 from last year around this time...  ???

The LoS series was already on sale a few weeks back, so may not show up again for a while (or until closer to Halloween anyway). But LoS1 is still on Steam, I just checked; the Ultimate edition with the two epilogue stories. (Much more important than the prequel story for LoS 2, by the way -- I wouldn't bother with that.)

Mirror of Fate is also on Steam, but personally I'd just watch a YouTube movie of that -- the story is mostly recapped at the beginning of LoS2 anyway (or after the prologue, which gets confusing since it takes place long before the LoS2 prologue.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxMUU3QH5II This makes a nice MoF movie with some gameplay transitions, about 53 minutes.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on October 05, 2014, 03:35:41 PM
Not necessarily Halloween-themed, but the best zombie game on the market looks like Rebuild 3:Gangs of Deadville.

It's more cartoon-gory than actually scary, and it's still in Beta, but it's plenty stable and playable, and for now only $15.


Geez.  They're already on the third one?!  Do they re-release it every other update?  I thought they were selling the second one earlier this year?   ???

For zombie survival games, I think Project Zomboid is probably my first choice.  Lots of inventory management in isometric stealth style.

I also recommend Neo Scavenger again, although it's a post-apoc turn based survival RPG.  Not strictly zombies but mutants and such.

Nefaro

#22
Quote from: RooksBailey on October 05, 2014, 03:43:49 PM
In August I got a free three day trial of The Secret World.  While it had (sadly) boilerplate MMO conventions, it nevertheless was a creepy and fun game. I recommend it (my thoughts on it here).   Funcom usually puts the game on sale for half price or more for Halloween, so I intend to pick it up then.

I also enjoyed the atmosphere.  But I recall some parts of the second big area were becoming brutally difficult to finish.  And there usually wasn't anyone else nearby to group with last time I tried to continue.

I should try it again.  Maybe respec into something more survivable.  Shotguns and Blood Magic woot!  ;D

Anyone new to the game should be aware that there are a lot of quests that are more investigative in nature.  So you have to search around and figure some of it out.  Or just look up the missions online and get the cheats on what to do.  That's what I eventually started doing since I tend to get sick of wandering around in a big area, wasting a bunch of play time trying to figure out some combination or where something is hidden.  Still.. it was interesting at first.

I'm not sure any of the later zones can top the first one's mix of Lovecraft- and Stephen King-style f'd up New England coastal town stuff. 

bboyer66

Outlast was very good. Scary with a spooky atmosphere. Hell I actually finished it, which says a lot.

Sir Slash

If you want to see something scary I''ll show you my 401K. Some of the evil quests in Skyrim are a little scary--- a little.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Gusington on October 05, 2014, 05:03:49 PM
Come on JD stop being such a kilted woman!

Secret World eh...*checking* Checking Sang Froid too...

Jason where is Lords of Shadow available? The only thing I see on Steam is the Castlevania 2 game.

EDIT: Sang Froid on sale right now for $1.49 @ Steam!!!
lol - I just don't like being chased and that game looks seriously frightening!

Not a chance in hell I'd be able to play that. I remember stopping playing Doom it shit me up so much. Not the original one which was cartoony in appearance. But these new games are too real...shaking light, creaking doors, footsteps. I fired up Interstellar Marines the other day and had to switch it off because of the sounds of something running and it being pitch black outside of your torch view!

:'(
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

BanzaiCat

Here's a game that I always found frightening and immersive: The Suffering.



When I saw this thread I remembered the game...I wrote a review for it at Wargamer ten years ago: http://www.wargamer.com/article/1725/pc-game-review-the-suffering
(Images aren't present anymore, unfortunately...)

Even though it's ten years old and the graphics obviously dated, it's a lot of fun and creepy as hell. I really enjoyed the storyline, where the choices you make in game determine your guilt or innocence as to why you're in prison in the first place. Don't know if it's available anywhere...it's gotta be somewhere though.



Gusington

I think I actually remember your review for The Suffering, BC.

I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet, mainly because right now I am really getting into Age of Wonders III and won't be switching over to something else for a few weeks.

Even Sang Froid for 1.49 didn't get me to pull the trigger. Right now I am still most interested in Outlast or Betrayer,  or Ethan Carter maybe, if I don't want to crap my drawers like JD.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

whoa...I never said I soiled myself!  :P
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Gusington

Right but you never said you didn't :)

Check out Ethan Carter JD, it may be perfect for both of us.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd