Steam and Iron development plans

Started by RyanE, October 05, 2014, 07:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RyanE

When they switched their forum system around a year or so ago, I never bothered with re-registering. 

I have kind of kept my eye on it, but might have missed it.  Does anyone know if there are any plans in the offing?  It looks like there has been no updates in over a year and the forum is fairly quiet.

Asid

Quote from: RyanE on October 05, 2014, 07:09:02 PM
When they switched their forum system around a year or so ago, I never bothered with re-registering. 

I have kind of kept my eye on it, but might have missed it.  Does anyone know if there are any plans in the offing?  It looks like there has been no updates in over a year and the forum is fairly quiet.

There are:
Steam and Iron
Steam and Iron Campaign
Russo Japanese War

posted by Fredrick W from the development team:
"I am currently working on the next development of the SAI series, and SAI itself will in all likelihood not be updated until after that is launched, as there will be several changes to the combat mechanics."

Great sim . Really comes alive with the campaigns addon.

regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Asid

If i remember correctly there was mention of "economic" choices. Buying/selecting/traing the ships/crew you want.

I always intended to do an AAR but Steel beasts takes up my time.

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

jomni

I actually forgot about this game.  Been thinking to buy a while back.

chemkid

this game is still kickin' - so easy to pick up and real fun!
last sai-campaign update was in april THIS year (2014):

[SAI V1.55 CAMPAIGN ENGINE CHANGES/FIXES]
* Fixed a bug with damaged ships in port at a different base being assigned to a new division in too many cases.
* Fixed a bug with ships occasionally remaining unavailable after previous operations in campaigns.
* Fixed a bug that could case the old flagship to be used for calculating divisions out of sight of the flagship after changing lead division or performing a battle turn away.

http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/3/steam-iron-information-updates

cheers!
chem!

RyanE

I was all excited about the new patch you listed...just checked and it looks like its six months old.  That was my point.  The updates, releases, and information were coming fast and furious.  Now I don't even see the dev much on the forum much.  My question was bascially answered above.


Nefaro

Quote from: RyanE on October 06, 2014, 05:44:11 AM
I was all excited about the new patch you listed...just checked and it looks like its six months old.  That was my point.  The updates, releases, and information were coming fast and furious.  Now I don't even see the dev much on the forum much.  My question was bascially answered above.


Last I heard he was working on the upcoming Russo-Japanese War version.

Evidently there was some forum changeover over there and everyone lost their logins?  *Sigh*  ::)  That's probably part of the reason it's quiet over there.

RyanE

Not only did they lose their logins, but they lost a bunch of really good information and a lot of custom scenarios as well.

republic

I've looked at Steam and Iron from time to time.  I haven't been able to get Jutland to work ever since StormEagle started making us use Storm Powered...  If I get in the dreadnought mood again I'll probably pick it up.

Asid

Quote from: republic on October 06, 2014, 03:14:09 PM
I've looked at Steam and Iron from time to time.  I haven't been able to get Jutland to work ever since StormEagle started making us use Storm Powered...  If I get in the dreadnought mood again I'll probably pick it up.

I have this... totally different. DRM exists in Steam and Iron and the campaign addon by way of a serial.. Excellent sim

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Nefaro

Quote from: Asid on October 06, 2014, 06:18:51 PM
Quote from: republic on October 06, 2014, 03:14:09 PM
I've looked at Steam and Iron from time to time.  I haven't been able to get Jutland to work ever since StormEagle started making us use Storm Powered...  If I get in the dreadnought mood again I'll probably pick it up.

I have this... totally different. DRM exists in Steam and Iron and the campaign addon by way of a serial.. Excellent sim

Regards


I'm glad they switched to the "Storm Powered" thing as the DRM isn't as ridiculous anymore.  No more activations tied to hardware changes & such.  O0  I had to email them and get my SES login reset when they first changed over but it's been smooth sailing since (other than some spotty patching).  Too bad they didn't go this route in the first place; they would've got less bad publicity by avoiding their original craptastical DRM altogether.


Quote from: RyanE on October 06, 2014, 11:42:50 AM
Not only did they lose their logins, but they lost a bunch of really good information and a lot of custom scenarios as well.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

I'm often disappointed when I see a forum update their forum software.  There is often buginess, lost content, and/or screwed up logins.  What makes it more painful is that some of these updates weren't really needed in the first place.


republic

Quote from: Nefaro on October 06, 2014, 06:47:25 PM
I'm glad they switched to the "Storm Powered" thing as the DRM isn't as ridiculous anymore.  No more activations tied to hardware changes & such.  O0  I had to email them and get my SES login reset when they first changed over but it's been smooth sailing since (other than some spotty patching).  Too bad they didn't go this route in the first place; they would've got less bad publicity by avoiding their original craptastical DRM altogether.

That is the exact opposite experience from what I had.  The old one had to 'dial in' every so often but I never had a problem with it.  Storm Powered is such a frustration I haven't played the game since.  :\

RyanE

I had some huge issues with the dial-home DRM.  Had fewer issues with Stormpowered, but it was/is buggy as hell for a while.

It would seem that SES is mostly kaput now.  It might be a year since anyone official has posted anything on their own forum.  Posters, the few still there, are pretty frustrated.

panzerde

I've been playing the Russo-Japanese War campaign lately and it's been a lot of fun. Having to plan your operation by spending operations points to activate ships - and you are generally pretty constrained as to how many ships you can activate - to achieve the week's objectives, and then commanding those ships in tactical actions is a great mix. It's graphically simple, and fleet command is straightforward, but it isn't easy at all. In my first few attempts the Russians were basically whipping my tail despite being pretty disadvantaged.

I really hope that they don't add an economic layer. That would ruin the game for me. I want to be an admiral, not the Secretary of the Navy.  Not everything has to be turned into Civ.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres