Steam and Iron development plans

Started by RyanE, October 05, 2014, 07:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RyanE

Agreed on the economic aspects.  I was really hoping the focus would be on newer theaters and timeframes.

Asid

Quote from: RyanE on October 06, 2014, 09:01:39 PM
Agreed on the economic aspects.  I was really hoping the focus would be on newer theaters and timeframes.

I know there was talk of other theaters :)
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

panzerde

Quote from: RyanE on October 06, 2014, 09:01:39 PM
Agreed on the economic aspects.  I was really hoping the focus would be on newer theaters and timeframes.

A patch to clean up some of the oddities with late 19th century conflicts like the Spanish American War would be great, even. I'd love to do that one as a campaign.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Nefaro

I was looking forward to the WWI campaign system (and later the RJW one) but never got around to picking it up.  Just had so much of a backlog at the time, it got shoved to the back burner.  Especially since I've not been in a naval warfare mood in awhile. 

And now... having to re-register a login on their forums?  I had to wait awhile before my last one got approved via email.  Had to mail them a second time as a reminder IIRC.  ^-^  Hopefully a different experience the next time.

Do they have the bugs ironed out of the S&I campaign(s) by now?


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on October 06, 2014, 10:38:16 PM
I was looking forward to the WWI campaign system (and later the RJW one) but never got around to picking it up.  Just had so much of a backlog at the time, it got shoved to the back burner.  Especially since I've not been in a naval warfare mood in awhile. 

And now... having to re-register a login on their forums?  I had to wait awhile before my last one got approved via email.  Had to mail them a second time as a reminder IIRC.  ^-^  Hopefully a different experience the next time.

Do they have the bugs ironed out of the S&I campaign(s) by now?

I got my new account setup with them and it only took a couple of hours or so to get activated.  The first version of this game was something I thought I could get into, but for some reason never held my attention for long.  I'll have to try it again when I can devote some good time to it.

panzerde

Quote from: Nefaro on October 06, 2014, 10:38:16 PM

Do they have the bugs ironed out of the S&I campaign(s) by now?


I've yet to try a WWI campaign but the Russo-Japanese campaign seems to be working well.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

TacticalWargames

The Campaign expansion brings this game to life..it takes it from being an Ok\enjoyable little sim to being a time consuming superb wargame experience. Honestly if you don't have the Campaign buy it..you wont be disappointed.

Sir Slash

I'll echo that. The campaign was great with a host of lesser known ship types included. But I got to say the Action Point approach can be frustrating as you never have enough to put a decent fleet together unless you sit in port and skip a month or two in which cast the AI can outscore you by running their own missions. Also the missions are a little repetitive. But it's nothing that the real-life admirals didn't have to cope with.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

RyanE

I think the campaign puts some very good real world constraints on fleet management of the era.  You can't run around everywhere and be everywhere with every ship.  In 1914, coal-fired ships had relatively short cycles between overhauls.  So you have to husband your big ships and keep enough small ships to recon and pin-prick at your enemy.

The AI is very good at balancing that.  You can beat the AI by not sticking to strategies that were somewhat forced on real commanders.  But you are still constrained by the tech of the time.  The game does an amazing job of that.

republic

I'd love to see a WW2 Pacific campaign.  I've never played anything other than the console based PTO games that did the Pacific Theatre in an approachable way.

BigBlueFleet

Quote from: republic on October 08, 2014, 03:38:38 PM
I'd love to see a WW2 Pacific campaign.  I've never played anything other than the console based PTO games that did the Pacific Theatre in an approachable way.

Was hoping for some of the knife fights around Guadalcanal.

Re playing the events of Bloody Friday when Admiral Callaghan and his cruisers got it on against Admiral Abe and his battlewagons would be a blast.

Still holding out hope.

On another note I can't understand why these battles aren't taught in every public school in America...

em2nought

Quote from: republic on October 08, 2014, 03:38:38 PM
I'd love to see a WW2 Pacific campaign.  I've never played anything other than the console based PTO games that did the Pacific Theatre in an approachable way.
Have you tried the demo for http://www.shrapnelgames.com/KE_Studios/WPP/WPP_page.html
Stolen elections have consequences.

republic

Quote from: Hentzau on October 19, 2014, 07:10:17 PM
Have you tried the demo for http://www.shrapnelgames.com/KE_Studios/WPP/WPP_page.html

I actually got to beta test that one for a bit.  It is fun but doesn't quite scratch the itch that those old P.T.O. games used to.

em2nought

Stolen elections have consequences.

Nefaro

Quote from: Hentzau on October 20, 2014, 02:29:21 AM
A fella just posted a Steam & Iron campaign scenario video on sat at SimHQ http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4024321/Steam_and_Iron_campaign_scenar#Post4024321

http://youtu.be/nq0bmv8h0tE

Thanks for the link.  :)

Holy Hell!  That guy's nuts, sailing his Battlecruiser squadron right up alongside the enemy CL and it's Destroyers at point blank range.  No wonder he received so many torpedo hits.   :-\

Also a tactic of note:  don't be constantly turning with the big boys when you're in a gun fight.  There is an accuracy penalty if you're not going straight & steady and your guns fire.  You can't avoid having to turn, of course, but longer straight stretches means more shots are gonna be more accurate.  ;)

Luckily many of these situational modifiers can be found in a list while you're playing, so you can learn how to maximize your fire efficiency by looking at them regularly.