Main Menu

Legend of Grimrock II

Started by sandman2575, October 15, 2014, 01:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sandman2575

I didn't get too far in Grimrock I, so why am I seriously tempted by the now-released sequel?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251730/

Reviews seem very positive -- RPS simply gushes over it.

Cyrano

My aging, groggy, D&D-loving heart flat out adored this game...until the ending which was as bad a case of digital blue balls as I've ever had.

If you liked the ancient "Dungeon Master" it's nearly a clone.

My son adores it and is positively squeaky that his wizard Velker will soon be on the prowl again.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Rayfer

I enjoyed the first one for about the first 5-6 levels....but the heavy emphasis on puzzles became a drag after a while so I gave up and moved on. Is the sequel the same way?

Silent Disapproval Robot

I happily played through much of the first one until I got to an invisible teleport tile puzzle.  "I remember these!" I exclaimed as I busted out a pad of graph paper that had been sitting unused in my desk since the Mulroney administration and I started graphing.  "I remember fucking hating these!" I exclaimed and that was pretty much the end of my Grimrock playing days. 


Nefaro

Quote from: Rayfer on October 15, 2014, 03:25:18 PM
I enjoyed the first one for about the first 5-6 levels....but the heavy emphasis on puzzles became a drag after a while so I gave up and moved on. Is the sequel the same way?

I get the impression that there's a large focus on the puzzle aspect in the sequel too.  Meh.

I just wonder how much of the original Grimrock's success was due to people like us who wanted that style of RPG, but didn't like the annoying puzzles.  It may show in the sequel's sales.

BanzaiCat

Not into puzzles but I like how this feels. I might pull the trigger on it if it goes on a better sale than 10% off.

-budd-

I'm enjoying grimrock, i've picked it up and put it down a couple of times because of the puzzles. They kinda break up the flow of the game. Now i just you tube to get past any puzzles that get repetitive and move on, i'm up to level 8 i believe. I'll probably pick up the next one when it goes on sale. might even try some of the workshop levels.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Rayfer

Quote from: Nefaro on October 15, 2014, 05:20:27 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on October 15, 2014, 03:25:18 PM
I enjoyed the first one for about the first 5-6 levels....but the heavy emphasis on puzzles became a drag after a while so I gave up and moved on. Is the sequel the same way?

I get the impression that there's a large focus on the puzzle aspect in the sequel too.  Meh.

I just wonder how much of the original Grimrock's success was due to people like us who wanted that style of RPG, but didn't like the annoying puzzles.  It may show in the sequel's sales.

Agreed...apart from the endless puzzles the game was really well done, I liked just about everything else in the game.

sandman2575

Quote from: Cyrano on October 15, 2014, 02:51:31 PM
If you liked the ancient "Dungeon Master" it's nearly a clone.


I might well rank Dungeon Master the greatest PC gaming experience of my youth, surpassing even The Bard's Tale. Game was flippin' fantastic, amazing.

I've booted up Grimrock and trying to give it another go before possibly pulling the trigger on Grimrock II.  I don't mind the puzzles, actually -- I like that they provide some respite from combat.

Hate the custom races though -- lizardmen and insectoid, just lame.  Call me old fashioned, but I loves me some dungeon spelunking with half-elves, dwarves, and possibly the odd gnome or two...

Cyrano

#9
Just finished the first level of Grimrock II.  Observations:

Graphics have definitely been bumped up. Success provides resources and they've been used to provide a first outdoor level which is still squares, but very nicely done.

I've only been bumped into by a couple monsters, but they're well designed and modelled.  Similar in that regard to the first episode.

If you didn't like the puzzles, just keeeep walking.  They're back early and often.  Nothing obnoxious so far, but you have been warned.

I couldn't agree more re: the odd race choices.  For heaven's sake you lunatic Norsemen, you are thriving because you gave us back our beloved FRPG tropes.  Make with the mother-loving dwarves, elves, and gnomes.

My wife was a "Lost" obsessive and tells me there's at least a look and feel going on in the beginning if no outright references.

Overall, very much looking forward to more of the same...and better...

And, hey, sandman, when is rock not rock ;)?

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

sandman2575

I'm trying to channel my inner 14-year-old here... It's been a *long* time since I played DM!  Rock not rock... a puzzle referring to DM's 'rock-pile' monsters, perhaps?

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Cyrano

Ok...THAT'S funny.

Rock is not rock when one is trapped in a dead-end hallway and one searches for HOURS for a secret switch, floor plate, spell, weapon, &c., that would release one from the madness.  Rock is not rock when one discovers that all one need do is WALK THROUGH A FRACKING ILLUSION OF A WALL into the corridor beyond.

I almost punched my Amiga's monitor.

But what I actually did was return to my secure room where I could feast on worm rounds and skins full of water.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

BanzaiCat

How many races are there?

I found a resource that says there's only four - Minotaur, Lizardman, Human, and Insectoid. Is that right?

Kind of lame.

Tpek

No, they added Ratling as well.

And there are additionally several classes to choose from.