Financial Demographics?

Started by Jarhead0331, October 24, 2014, 09:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

A friend posted a comment in a totally unrelated thread about his current cash position and it got me thinking about a lot of different things.  For instance, it got me thinking about how sometimes I feel like my family is struggling, all the things we need, all the things we want and also all the things we already have.  It got me thinking about how it could really be so so much worse, and that I really cannot remember a time in my life when buying something as simple as a computer game would break my bank.  My wife and I are VERY hard workers and we always complain about how high taxes are and how we feel underpaid...but the truth is, I suppose we are much more fortunate than many.

So I'm curious...what is the average household annual income of our regular users. You can respond to the poll totally anonymously. I think it will be some pretty interesting information to see what the needs of our members are, especially now that the holiday season is upon us.  We already have dedicated threads for game and hardware giveaways, but maybe we have some friends around here who need more than games? Clothes? non-perishable food? toys for their kids? If the need is there, we can set up a dedicated thread for these kinds of necessity donations. 

My thought is that members can post what they have to offer...for instance, I have a Grecco baby stroller that the baby has outgrown. I could post I have this available, and then someone in need could PM the donator. That way, its a private affair between the one who is giving and the one who is in need...

Anyway, just some of my thoughts...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


MetalDog

I was just thinking the other night about this very subject, JH.  I wonder how many will participate.  Money, and how much you make, is a touchy subject for a lot of folks.  The funniest thing that I find is, those that don't have it, get defensive when people try to help them out.  While those that do have it, get defensive when people question how they got it.

I understand and appreciate the spirit behind starting this.  I hope to be able to contribute to those in need and be gracious when I find myself on the receiving end.  And I see you didn't vote in your own poll, JH.  ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

undercovergeek

well, my salary and extras look better in dollars than they do in pounds!!!

i have an ex wife who gets £325 in maintenance payments if anyone wants her

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MetalDog on October 24, 2014, 09:19:39 AM
And I see you didn't vote in your own poll, JH.  ;)

I didn't want to vote right away because that takes some of the anonymity out of it. My intention is to cast my ballot once we get a few more votes in the poll.  8)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 24, 2014, 09:21:52 AM
well, my salary and extras look better in dollars than they do in pounds!!!

i have an ex wife who gets £325 in maintenance payments if anyone wants her

Good point...the poll is obviously in USD.  Also, it is a gross income poll, so that 325 pounds should be included in your calculation. If I changed the poll to net, the results would be drastically different, particularly for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 24, 2014, 09:31:37 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 24, 2014, 09:21:52 AM
well, my salary and extras look better in dollars than they do in pounds!!!

i have an ex wife who gets £325 in maintenance payments if anyone wants her

Good point...the poll is obviously in USD.  Also, it is a gross income poll, so that 325 pounds should be included in your calculation. If I changed the poll to net, the results would be drastically different, particularly for me.

that sounds like a man with an accountant!

its cool, its included

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 24, 2014, 09:42:04 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 24, 2014, 09:31:37 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 24, 2014, 09:21:52 AM
well, my salary and extras look better in dollars than they do in pounds!!!

i have an ex wife who gets £325 in maintenance payments if anyone wants her

Good point...the poll is obviously in USD.  Also, it is a gross income poll, so that 325 pounds should be included in your calculation. If I changed the poll to net, the results would be drastically different, particularly for me.

that sounds like a man with an accountant!

its cool, its included

More like a man who is in desperate need of a good accountant.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


airboy

Jarhead:
The important number is disposable income, not gross income.  If memory serves, you live in New York which has extraordinary levels of taxation which cuts your disposable income and drives up the prices of everything.  If you live in New York City - the tax situation is even worse.

I live in Alabama where taxes are low, the BBQ is better, and you can own a gun without being afraid to go to jail.

If we made the exact same income, my disposable (spendable) income would be much higher than yours simply due to the NY taxes and corresponding cost of living.

bayonetbrant

^^
yeah, but you blow it all on ammo and Auburn tickets!  :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Quote from: airboy on October 24, 2014, 11:51:22 AM
Jarhead:
The important number is disposable income, not gross income.  If memory serves, you live in New York which has extraordinary levels of taxation which cuts your disposable income and drives up the prices of everything.  If you live in New York City - the tax situation is even worse.

I live in Alabama where taxes are low, the BBQ is better, and you can own a gun without being afraid to go to jail.

If we made the exact same income, my disposable (spendable) income would be much higher than yours simply due to the NY taxes and corresponding cost of living.

Yes. I realize this. That is why I commented the numbers would be drastically different if I was referencing net income. I think you can still get a decent idea of financial standing looking at gross income though. For instance, I doubt someone who is earning $250,000 in gross income annually is living in a trailer park. I don't need to get too specific and too personal. I'm just curious as to how everyone is doing and what the needs of our members might be.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Silent Disapproval Robot

Kinda depends on how many there are in your household and how many are earning and income as well.

GDS_Starfury

I think a lot of need $250,000 a year jobs.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 24, 2014, 02:30:04 PM
Kinda depends on how many there are in your household and how many are earning and income as well.

That is not a factor. The poll is looking for gross annual HOUSEHOLD income. That includes income from all earners.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


endfire79

If you think the taxation in NY is bad, look at Quebec :) 

Wheres the nice part of Alabama Con?

"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."