TF1942 and Across the Rhine now on Steam!

Started by steve58, November 06, 2014, 03:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Anguille

Oh boy...gotto to buy Task Force 1942....spent hours on that one!  :smitten:

JasonPratt

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 06, 2014, 10:38:17 PM
It looks like whomever (Nightdive Studios? Retroism?) has recoded many of these games to work on modern OSs including OSX and Linux.

But not necessarily Win8.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Greybriar

There are quite a few games by Retroism and Night Dive Studios on Steam. I am surprised and somewhat disappointed that those same titles are not available from GOG.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Rekim

Quote from: Anguille on November 07, 2014, 08:22:59 AM
Oh boy...gotto to buy Task Force 1942....spent hours on that one!  :smitten:

+1

best Tokyo Express game ever. I liked it so much I still have the original media.

MengJiao

Quote from: Toonces on November 07, 2014, 12:29:12 AM
TF1942 sounds interesting, but I really need to hear how it holds up before I pull the trigger.

   It was a fantastic game in 1992.   it might be pretty sad these days.

TacticalWargames

Quote from: Capn Darwin on November 06, 2014, 03:46:47 PM
Sweet! Loved Command HQ back in the day. Now we just need Red Storm Rising! O0

Red Storm Rising was one the the first PC wargames I bought. Always seemed to loose (not unusual in that).

Nefaro

Quote from: TacticalWargames on November 07, 2014, 03:41:33 PM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on November 06, 2014, 03:46:47 PM
Sweet! Loved Command HQ back in the day. Now we just need Red Storm Rising! O0

Red Storm Rising was one the the first PC wargames I bought. Always seemed to loose (not unusual in that).

I played it enough to win a few campaigns.  Often came down to finding that Typhoon hiding under the ice, which practically required you get so close to it that he shoots at you at the same time you get a vague sonar contact.  Then you do the BOL launch and torpedo dodge dance.   :)  Sometimes I would never even detect the bastard.  >:(

Staggerwing

Quote from: Greybriar on November 07, 2014, 12:45:01 PM
There are quite a few games by Retroism and Night Dive Studios on Steam. I am surprised and somewhat disappointed that those same titles are not available from GOG.

Valve has much deeper pockets. Much, much deeper...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Greybriar

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 07, 2014, 07:16:13 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on November 07, 2014, 12:45:01 PM
There are quite a few games by Retroism and Night Dive Studios on Steam. I am surprised and somewhat disappointed that those same titles are not available from GOG.

Valve has much deeper pockets. Much, much deeper...

I never knew what the process was to get a game sold by a retailer. How does that work? Do retailers have to pay game developers so much for each game before they are able to sell them?
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

BanzaiCat

So, about Across the Rhine...I never played it, but it looks decent by today's standards (graphics, mainly). Looks like it gives you medals and such; is there a promotion system in place too?

TF1942, I did play a few times but I'd prefer something less hardcore like Pacific Fleet.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 28, 2015, 10:58:00 AM
So, about Across the Rhine...I never played it, but it looks decent by today's standards (graphics, mainly). Looks like it gives you medals and such; is there a promotion system in place too?

TF1942, I did play a few times but I'd prefer something less hardcore like Pacific Fleet.

If I remember correctly, Across the Rhine was a big disappointment at the time of its release. It had all the parts that should add up to a great game, but for some reason, I remember it being a let down and an overall failure.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 28, 2015, 11:03:58 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 28, 2015, 10:58:00 AM
So, about Across the Rhine...I never played it, but it looks decent by today's standards (graphics, mainly). Looks like it gives you medals and such; is there a promotion system in place too?

TF1942, I did play a few times but I'd prefer something less hardcore like Pacific Fleet.

If I remember correctly, Across the Rhine was a big disappointment at the time of its release. It had all the parts that should add up to a great game, but for some reason, I remember it being a let down and an overall failure.

It was heavily marketed by the gaming media at the time as M1 Tank Platoon in World War 2.  While Microprose never intended to make it that game, they did absolutely nothing to dissuade the pre-release impressions by the gaming community that it this was just the next in the line of great Microprose sims.  This of course was way before the internet was what it is today, so the direct lines of hype and feedback from developers that exist today didn't exist then.  Pretty much the only avenue of info came from PC Gamer (I think it was still PC Entertainment then) and Computer Gaming World and a few dedicated boards on AOL and Usenet.

A lot of people, myself included, purchased the game fully expecting a simulator and got something...well...else.  It got hammered by magazine reviews, probably a lot less on its merits and a lot more on the fact that it wasn't the game people expected. 

It was one of my greatest gaming disappointments.  I returned the game, but I have to be honest with myself that I never really gave it a fair shake.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

magnus

Now that is showing some age.

" I returned the game "

It seems like yesterday, pawing through what Babbages had on the shelf.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: magnus on May 28, 2015, 06:04:53 PM
Now that is showing some age.

" I returned the game "

It seems like yesterday, pawing through what Babbages had on the shelf.

Indeed.  I returned it to the Montgomery Mall Electronics Botique, back in the day when you could return a game within 30 days, no questions asked, just because it sucked.

I remember distinctly using the refund to purchase Mechwarrior 2, which was a far far superior experience.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

BanzaiCat

I remember that policy (I used to work at EB way way back when). I remember thinking how people would probably take advantage of it but they didn't, surprisingly.