Operation Afghanistan - The Bear Awakens

Started by PanzersEast, December 03, 2014, 03:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PanzersEast

This is an AAR of Operation Afghanistan, a Print and Play game designed by Eric von Rossing of Berserker Games.  OA is a solitaire game of Combat during the Soviet-Afghan War. The player assumes the role of a commander of combined forces in Afghanistan. As commander, you are responsible for securing your Area of Operations (AOR) by successfully conducting various military operations in order to locate and destroy the enemy. Although there are many units available to you, they may often times be limited to you by political, logistical or geographical obstacles.

I am using my re-worked Counters and reworked Refer



MISSION 1
SNATCH AND GRAB




We have been tasked with finding an apprehending a Mujahedeen leader that is in the area.  We have narrowed him down to 3 possible locations and we have a limited time to intercept him before he moves again.



Detached to me have been Major Oleg leading a Squad of Spetsnaz.  We are given 8 Operational points to spend for support. According to Intel, the three areas that are possible locations where the Leader is Hiding are Ali Abad, Khan Abad to the East and to the North Arghistan.



With my 8 Operation Point I Purchase:

X2 Squads
X1 Mortar Team
X1 M-17 (Airlift the Spetsnaz to Arghistan)


So I divide my forces to the following:



FORCE A






Oleg and the Spetsnaz have remain at the Base Camp to be airlifted North. 



FORCE B




2 Squads supported by a Mortar Team will begin at FB in the East 2 Hexes North of Khan Abad.


FORCE A will drop into Arghistan and sweep the Village, while FORCE B moves south to Sweep Ali Abad and Khan Abad for the Leader.



bayonetbrant

those are some uuuuuugly maps - especailly in contrast to your counters
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

PanzersEast

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 03, 2014, 04:17:02 PM
those are some uuuuuugly maps - especailly in contrast to your counters

I've stated making a new map that is similar to the modular concept to give it some randomness or you can put them in order.  I'm a ways away from completing the map.

PE

PanzersEast

#3
In terms of larger companies who have graphic departments doing the work or contracting it out,  Erick is a one man crew and I have to say he has done an excellent job and is very responsive to emails.  The systems that I have tested have very good mechanics and  are  very flexible for in-house tweaks.  He will be the first to admit he is not a graphic designer, and stated so when I asked for permission to update and post the counter reworks, but it is very functional and being a primarily solitaire player I applaud and support his efforts whole heartedly.  I have two of his games now and plan to purchase more.


PE

PanzersEast


I reworked the Map and printed it out so it is switched in the following pics.



FORCE A takes off from Base Camp and proceeds North to Arghistan in the M-17.

FORCE B starts the trek South to Khan Abad.




FORCE A closes in and receives some small arms fire with no effect (Event Check)
other hexes have been quit thus far.



FORCE B moves through a Paddie Hex and so far the hike has been without incident as we group on the outskirts of Khan Abad.  The Mortar Team will remain here for Fire Support while the 2 Squads move into the village to sweep.



FORCE A continues North with any contact from the enemy and is 2 Hexes away (1 Turn) from descending on the Village.



FORCE B 2 Squads move into the Village and learn that the leader they are looking for is not present, however they run into one of the Leaders Lieutenants, good evidence he was here.  A fire fight ensures and the Squads take up position.

 

When entering a Village I did the EVENT check first and all is clear, next we Resolve the Leader Objective Effect even though he was a Decoy.  I roll for the leader to see how many units he as and a roll of 3 - 2 gives the leader 1 unit.  I draw a heavy MG team. 

Next we roll for INITIATIVE and being that there is a leader present he gets 2D6 to our 1D6.  Luckily we out roll and attack first.



We fire first at the HEAVY MG team and score a Hit, followed by a Miss of the LEADER.

The HEAVY MG team fires and hits one of our Squads reducing their Strength. We are lucky on the LEADER'S attack as he misses.
Next we call for Support from our MORTAR team (1 Hex away) and he begins to rain down death.  First the HEAVY MG position is HIT and they retreat, the DECOY LEADER however is not so lucky and is killed in the blast.

We have not secured the Village and being our forced march to Ali Abad.




FORCE B touches down at Arghistan in the North only to find a very Unfriendly Group of Villagers.  Oleg orders the Spetsnaz to search the village for any Intel, however we find nothing and the Villagers were not talking.

It is at this point I realized because I had 2 Units with the RECON Skill that I could now not capture the Leader now known at Ali Abad.  In order to try and capture you have to have a LEADER or UNIT that poses this skill... I should have split the groups up better.

Now it is a race for FORCE A to get down to Ali Abad before time runs out.  I could Airlift them, however I have used all of my Support Points so they are going to have to hike down.



FORCE B proceeds into the town and engages the Enemy.  The MORTAR team remains 1 HEX outside the Village and we encounter the LEADER and 3 Squads of Mujhaedeen fighters.  We are going to try and hold them at bay while the FORCE A heads south and attacks from the North.



We where able to once again able to gain the initiative which gave us a an advantage.  During the next couple of rounds and during the firefight we where Able to Eliminate 2 Mujhaedeen Units and the Mortar made the other Unit Retreat.  The LEADER is now all alone and we are waiting for FORCE A to arrive.  They will have 1 TURN once they arrive to apprehend the LEADER.


Lucky for me as FORCE A was moving South we had an Intellegence event occur that in one of the Hexes that gave us one additional +1 OP so now we will have 2 turns to capture the LEADER.



FORCE A has arrived at the Village and they move in to do their search.


Regrettably during the 2 turns the LEADER managed to elude us and he escaped.  I was unsuccessful rolling the needed numbers to find him.  So the Operation Ends with us taking a -3 VP points for this mission.


jomni

#5
Looks like an interesting  game. Your work could be implemented in Vassal as well. Any plans?