Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order

Started by Jarhead0331, January 25, 2015, 02:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM
The game is still beautiful. Still full of style. Still superb. Still frighteningly difficult. It totally holds up, which shows just how far ahead of its time the game was when it was first released. Its been so long since I played the unmodded original that it is hard to compare how improved the graphics are...suffice it to say, it looks great.

There is this element of WH40K where the Imperium has forgotten how to construct certain technologies, such as Titans. I always say to myself, how can the knowledge of how to build something be lost when you have an example right there to behold and study. Its not logical and it doesn't make sense. However, look at Homewold. It is so perfect and it was made so long ago, yet NOBODY has succeeded in making a game nearly as good, or really even come too close to it, for that matter. Its as if game developers simply forgot how to do it...

When JH calls a game 'frighteningly difficult' it translates into my 63 year old, RTS handicapped brain as 'don't bother'.

GDS_Starfury

#106
but its really not that hard at all.  I took to it like a duck to water.  the GUI is pretty intuitive as are the camera controls.  I'd go as far as saying theyre the best camera controls ever.
remember, hes just a Marine after all.   :crazy2:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


mikeck

WORKSHOP on steam is now available for the home world remastered series. One of the mods is "complex 9.1" one of my favorites.  there are a few others on there but I imagine it will be more later
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rayfer on February 26, 2015, 01:06:27 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM
The game is still beautiful. Still full of style. Still superb. Still frighteningly difficult. It totally holds up, which shows just how far ahead of its time the game was when it was first released. Its been so long since I played the unmodded original that it is hard to compare how improved the graphics are...suffice it to say, it looks great.

There is this element of WH40K where the Imperium has forgotten how to construct certain technologies, such as Titans. I always say to myself, how can the knowledge of how to build something be lost when you have an example right there to behold and study. Its not logical and it doesn't make sense. However, look at Homewold. It is so perfect and it was made so long ago, yet NOBODY has succeeded in making a game nearly as good, or really even come too close to it, for that matter. Its as if game developers simply forgot how to do it...

When JH calls a game 'frighteningly difficult' it translates into my 63 year old, RTS handicapped brain as 'don't bother'.

I suppose one could debate that the word "difficult" is not really accurate. I think "challenging" is probably a better description. Regardless, the game deserves to be experienced. Unreservedly.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on February 26, 2015, 01:59:07 PM
WORKSHOP on steam is now available for the home world remastered series. One of the mods is "complex 9.1" one of my favorites.  there are a few others on there but I imagine it will be more later

Keep in mind that most of those overhaul mods presently work only with the classic versions of the game. They do not run with the RM versions. My understanding is that Complex v10, which runs with the RM game, is not due out until September. Still, very convenient to be able to boot up the classic versions and play with the mods from the steam menu interface.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mikeck

I did not know that they didn't work with the remastered version.  good to know, thank you
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Staggerwing

Quote from: besilarius on February 26, 2015, 07:29:44 AM

    When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke's Three Laws.  (Great writer, lousy human.)

Bes, just out of curiosity, what made Clarke a lousy human? I'm not familiar with any potential controversies connected to him, other than his transition from spiritualism to atheism, and his *ehem* alternate lifestyle...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

Never played the original game, but I'm not liking the UI.  Some stuff are counter-intuitive and unconventional. This means you need to keep playing this to remember.  After some time of not playing, going back means you have to re-learn some stuff.

GDS_Starfury

I havent tried the remastered versions yet. 
so a question for someone like JH is this:
have they used the HW2 GUI in HW1 or have they left both systems intact as they were.

there were things you couldnt do with the HW1 system that were vastly improved upon by HW2.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


GDS_Starfury

installing now, weekend plans shot to hell.
expect to hear about my dead corpse being found sometime mid next week amid empty beer bottles and chinese delivery boxes.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


jomni

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 26, 2015, 10:04:05 PM
I havent tried the remastered versions yet. 
so a question for someone like JH is this:
have they used the HW2 GUI in HW1 or have they left both systems intact as they were.

there were things you couldnt do with the HW1 system that were vastly improved upon by HW2.

I dunno.  I'm playing HW1 Remastered for now.

GDS_Starfury

just started HW1RM. 
Im going to go a few levels in and then switch to HW2RM to see whats what.  the trigger points dont seem to have changed so far and that becomes pretty important down the road.   :knuppel2:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


jomni

You're right. Knowing what happens after the trigger will make you prepare for it.
Like building your fleet first before proceeding.

RyanE

So from Steamcharts...

http://steamcharts.com/app/244160

HW-RM has sold at least 18,000 units at $40.  That is $720,000 in a couple days.  The big period is a week usually and then it doubles over the next month.  It then usually tapers off over the next three months.  I would estimate a haul of about $2M by summer.  I wonder how much cost went into it and what the longer term plans are.

jomni

I'm now stuck on that asteroid blasting mission.