Best WWII Eastern Front PC Games - Sims, Tactics, Strategy

Started by Gusington, February 03, 2015, 10:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Gusington

My new obsession is WWII's Eastern Front...it has captured my imagination.

I am currently playing Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front and love it. I also have Operation Star, Unity of Command, Panzer Corps and Company of Heroes 2. I loved Unity of Command. Haven't played much Panzer Corps in the East...only the West. I like it but I enjoy BA2 more.

I played CoH2 last year for a few hours but it didn't stick for some reason. I'm thinking of trying it again. Haven't tried Operation Star yet.

Also checking out CM: Red Thunder but IIRC it didn't get particularly rave reviews.

So...what do guys suggest?

I really like the scale of BA2...are there any other similar games on that tactical level in the Eastern Front? Maybe with slightly more focus on armor?

Thanks all.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I've only hit at the ends of the Eastern Front range of games-- tactical, CMRT and the old CMBB. And the strategic, DC Case Blue and Panzer General. I really like Red Thunder but it's limited in it's time period and location. CMBB was a classic and still probably my favorite East Front game but it's old and ugly like the guy I see in the mirror each morning. Case Blue is excellent but a bitch to beat from either side. So I guess I don't have an all time great to recommend though I always wanted to try the Squad Battles East Front series, Red Victory and I can't remember the other one. I hear they're great.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.


glen55

My favorite was CMBB, my favorite Combat Mission game.  I haven't played it in quite a while, and while I find it very believable that it's really ugly from a 2015 perspective, I don't think the visuals will really hurt your suspension of disbelief.  It's a lot like being there.

I have never played War In The East, but I actually found it's successor, War In Russia, quite playable - contrary to popular opinion.  From what I understand WITE, the 2010 version, is mostly the same thing with a paint job.  I think all the people who say it's overwhelming just crapped out without doing the work to figure out how to play.  At least for WIR, once you got the hang of it, it really wasn't that hard to motor through a turn.  I played it through to 1943 or so about 5 times, at which I point the game was either already decided or didn't seem like it would be fun any more.  But the real fighting was in '41 and '42 so I think "not fun any more" just reflects reality.  I'm not interested in the Pacific War after '43, either.  Perhaps others can comment on the differences between WIR & WITE, but . . . if you're really jonesin' for the Eastern front, you really haven't gone unless you've gone whole hog, and WITE is whole hog.

On a totally, totally different note, at least the first 2 Call of Duty games had Soviet campaigns and those games are about as good as shooters get.  I think Call of Duty 2 got the best reviews of any COD game and it starts with the Soviets.

And then there's IL2 and its numerous expansions, the Rolls Royce of combat flight sims - if you swing that way. . . .

Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

MikeGER

Quote from: Gusington on February 03, 2015, 10:29:12 PM
My new obsession is WWII's Eastern Front...it has captured my imagination.

speaking about imagination I recommend CM RT  O0
with the latest patch the early problems reported are gone AFAIK (and at my place so far / PC version)
compared to your list its a tactical sim not a gamey game where tanks literally fencing with their gun barrels or chasing each others tails in circles like a dog fight seen in Company of Heroes.

Asid

Some wargames/sims have an editor or scenario creator which can fulfill some of your require.

I have played many mission in Steel Beasts Pro. There are many different missions/theatres etc. Heres an example:

http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php?topic=253.0
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Barthheart

For small scale tactical try Heroes of Stalingrad by LnLP.

For operational scale try WWII Europe by Schwerpunkt.

BanzaiCat

There's a couple of board game recommendations I can make, but since this is a PC thread, I think everyone above has summed that portion up nicely thus far.

bob48

Quote from: MikeGER on February 04, 2015, 03:02:01 AM
Quote from: Gusington on February 03, 2015, 10:29:12 PM
My new obsession is WWII's Eastern Front...it has captured my imagination.

speaking about imagination I recommend CM RT  O0
with the latest patch the early problems reported are gone AFAIK (and at my place so far / PC version)
compared to your list its a tactical sim not a gamey game where tanks literally fencing with their gun barrels or chasing each others tails in circles like a dog fight seen in Company of Heroes.

Yep, I just up-dated to v1.03 and it seems much better.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Thank you guys, some good posts above. I know Gary Grigsby's games are the end all be all as far as detail, but are they fun? I'm leaning towards CM:RT...if I downloaded it today would I automatically get the latest version or do I have to patch it up myself?

And Glen I used to be uninterested in the late WWII era myself but for some reason I have become very interested in the final days in 1945, especially in the Soviets final push into Germany.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Gus, have you read Anthony Beevor's book on the Battle of Berlin? http://www.amazon.com/Fall-Berlin-1945-Antony-Beevor/dp/0142002801

Or Cornelius Ryan's The Last Battle? http://www.amazon.com/Last-Battle-Cornelius-Ryan/dp/B00246AL0W/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423059291&sr=1-2&keywords=cornelius+ryan+the+last+battle

If you're into that period of the war (and it fascinates me), you will really enjoy either of the above books.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 03, 2015, 11:37:48 PM
I've only hit at the ends of the Eastern Front range of games-- tactical, CMRT and the old CMBB. And the strategic, DC Case Blue and Panzer General. I really like Red Thunder but it's limited in it's time period and location. CMBB was a classic and still probably my favorite East Front game but it's old and ugly like the guy I see in the mirror each morning. Case Blue is excellent but a bitch to beat from either side. So I guess I don't have an all time great to recommend though I always wanted to try the Squad Battles East Front series, Red Victory and I can't remember the other one. I hear they're great.

  I pretty much agree with Sir Slash:  Case Blue is a classic and CMRT is pretty neato.

Gusington

Thanks guys.

BC - those titles are on my list. I read Beevor's Stalingrad about 15 years ago. I also have The End queued up...forget the name of the author...but he's a popular one.

Believe it or not I'm reading aome pretty deep titles on WWII armor, etc. Fascinating stuff.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GJK

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Father Ted

For $25 CMBB has to be worth a go if you're leaning toward CMRT but aren't sure.  In my view CMx2 gives you pretty much the same gaming experience as CMx1.  (In some ways I prefer the latter - I want the toggle-able bases back rather than floating icons used to keep track of the units).  You get an awful lot of gaming for your money - even without user-made scenarios.

Another title I've played is Close Combat Cross of Iron - do you like the CC series?