The record company, Rosie, just gave me a big FRIDAY!

Started by MetalDog, February 06, 2015, 06:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

Hopefully will be able to reconstruct (close enough to never mind) the pre-war organization and initial orders I lost last weekend by not paying attention to how I was saving the game, in Darkest Hour (as Russia in the AAR mod starting just before WW1).

Continuing my first Far Cry 3 campaign. I've been doodling around leveling up my gear rather than my character -- I have at least five skill points I haven't assigned yet because the skills I really want haven't been plot-unlocked yet -- but for those who have played the game, I'm about ready to go to Pirate's Cove.

I have now beaten all forms of the AI on Rivals of Catan, so though I'll keep the game on my phone I'm moving along to learning (or learning better) another strat game. Probably San Juan which I already know how to play but could stand a lot more experience on.

I never did get very far in the Company of Heroes campaign, and I've been feeling rather an itch to try that again; I played the skirmish and mp (with my late pupil) much more, years ago, and never felt like I had any kind of real handle on it compared to the Dawn of War games, despite the family relationship of the game engines.

The FC sandboxing is giving me an increasingly strong urge to go back to play The Saboteur again (a game I beat long ago). A wildly underrated game.

Incidentally, it occurred to me last night while playing FC3 that if someone would do a similar island-sandbox shooter with dinosaurs (perhaps making use of the Jurassic Park ip), they'd have a license to print money.  :smitten: :smitten: (Though that reminds me I also own Blood Dragon though I doubt it's like that.) Dino-ish themed multiplayer shooters went through a strong spate recently, but that isn't the same thing.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Bawb post pics of CM:RT so I can feel more gooder about dropping 55.00 on it.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on February 06, 2015, 03:33:34 PM
Bawb post pics of CM:RT so I can feel more gooder about dropping 55.00 on it.

Or you could just play it

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on February 06, 2015, 03:33:34 PM
Bawb post pics of CM:RT so I can feel more gooder about dropping 55.00 on it.

Gus, there are oodles of youtube clips for it. If they don't get yer loins moist, nothing will. Its excellent. I now have to look at getting the other CM games. Hopefully, they have sales now and again. CM Normandy, v3.0 plus the Commonwealth add-on is currently $55, which is around £43. I have to sneak it past Mrs.B somehow.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bob48 on February 06, 2015, 04:57:49 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 06, 2015, 03:33:34 PM
Bawb post pics of CM:RT so I can feel more gooder about dropping 55.00 on it.

Gus, there are oodles of youtube clips for it. If they don't get yer loins moist, nothing will. Its excellent. I now have to look at getting the other CM games. Hopefully, they have sales now and again. CM Normandy, v3.0 plus the Commonwealth add-on is currently $55, which is around £43. I have to sneak it past Mrs.B somehow.
Nothing puts me off more than videos of Combat Mission videos...they are just too twitchy! The only "moist" areas for me when watching Youtube videos of Combat Mission games is my eyes...begging for vinegar drips!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

lol - you mean the zoom in, zoom out, twitch left, zoom in, zoom in, zoom out, zoom in, scroll to other side of map, in, out, in, out, in, in, out, scroll, in, out, back, up, down, zoom, zoom?

ive seen it so often i can only assume its not doing that myself that is lacking in my awesome prowess at strategy games!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on February 06, 2015, 06:06:33 PM
lol - you mean the zoom in, zoom out, twitch left, zoom in, zoom in, zoom out, zoom in, scroll to other side of map, in, out, in, out, in, in, out, scroll, in, out, back, up, down, zoom, zoom?

ive seen it so often i can only assume its not doing that myself that is lacking in my awesome prowess at strategy games!
That is exactly what I mean! - at least the zoom shit!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

bob48

Some are much worse than others, so I agree with JD there, but there are enough decent ones to well convey the flavour of the game.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MetalDog

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 06, 2015, 11:16:56 AM
I don't usually post in these threads (it's funny how having 2 small children makes you re prioritize between talking about games and playing games!), but in honor of the excellent title thread, I couldn't stay away!

It's mostly Xenonauts for me this weekend, with a little Conclave thrown in as I continue to go through a campaign in slow motion with a couple elementary-school buddies of mine from my Oklahoma days.  And maybe Gems of War as a bone to throw to my 4-year old son, now that we finished up our Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes campaign last night...

Now THERE'S a man with some TASTE!  O0
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

CM:RT seems to have some loin moistening potential.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

In Russia, loins no get moist unless you spill vodka in lap( in my best Boris Badanov voice). I thought maybe Col. Paulding at Armchair General Mag had a RT tactics video on his site but nothing since his CMFI videos. Some of the youtube videos are very good. Some.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Huw the Poo

I picked up Deadnaut last night - lovely atmosphere but I don't have a damn clue what I'm doing.  I might actually have to read the manual for this one!

Other than that I'm sure I'll continue in Starbound and Pandora: First Contact.

Cyrano

Doug and I are now trying a PzC Sicily '43 smaller beach battle in which we learn Italian coastal defenders are not great warriors and paras had a bad time dropping into mountains.

We're also slogging through the Netherlands in CM:BN/MG.  So far, one airborne gunner has taken a LONG shot to the head and there are no other casualties in evidence.

Campaign: Leipzig tournament rolling. 

Working a game review...

I am enjoying the ever-loving heck out of Disney Infinity.  Don't judge me.  They got the feeling of being a flying superhero right and I haven't particularly chased the missions as a result.  The Toy Box could be a lot smoother, but the playset (I bought Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy) are well done.

And two radio shows...one more for the internet I think, but the other for broadcast...

And they call it a weekend...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

W8taminute

Probably play some War Thunder on my PS4 and PC.  I've made myself an Excel table to keep track of how many lions and research points I earn per match to see if I notice any trends. 

I've also downloaded Bellum Imperii for Mount & Blade Warband and am enjoying it so far.  It is a very tough mod however to make progress in as you're constantly fighting to keep the morale of your group high.  Most of the time you're resting in a city's inn to regain tiredness morale drains.  Money is hard to come by as well. 

I'm gonna try to hook up with MD and/or Bob for some AoWIII action as well.   :coolsmiley:
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

GJK

Starting my first game of Phantom Fury on the updated ZunTzu gamebox that I put together last night (new graphics).  This is going to be a rough day for my Marines!

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer