What about Offworld Trading Company?

Started by Jarhead0331, February 12, 2015, 04:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

It was released on early access today and by all accounts it is already very polished. However, with no military force component, I'm not sure it will hold my interest.  Looks good though, from the designer of Civ IV.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/271240/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


bbmike

I thought of 1830 Railways & Robber Barons after reading about the game. Whatever happened to MarkShot anyway?  :(
And thanks for pointing out yet another interesting game!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Huw the Poo

The lack of a military option is what piqued my interest; makes a nice change.  Stardock have strongly hinted at Linux support too, so I'm sure to pick this one up.

Jarhead0331

I don't mind that it is not military focused, but at least being able to build security forces for defense and low intensity offensive ops would have been nice. I get that there are some more aggressive black market tactical options, but they seem like a very minor component to the game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


DennisS

I watched several youtube videos..I like the mechanics of it, and from the looks of it, it is complex enough to be challenging, but with the interface well thought out. I don't mind complexity, in fact, I prefer it, so long as the game is actually playable.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 12, 2015, 05:13:36 PM
The lack of a military option is what piqued my interest; makes a nice change.

Same. Added to wish list. Will wait until it goes on sale

undercovergeek

This sounds pretty cool - I love me some economic simulator and enjoyed markshots many aars on the old railway game - I may dive in

Jarhead0331

The problem I see with this game is that all e player does  really is make, buy and sell commodities. There doesn't seem to be any management of transportation, infrastructure, etc. maybe my read of the game is oversimplified, but there just doesn't seem like there is that much to do.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


undercovergeek

Once home I'll watch those tutorials linked in steam and see what it's like

DennisS

I have watched perhaps ... ten hours' worth of youtube videos. There is more depth and nuances to this game than I first believed.

There are two parts to this game, the first being develop your economy, the second to buying out the other players.

Your economy doesn't develop in a linear fashion..it is very much geometric, in the sense that once you gain a rapid acceleration of revenues, you rapidly out-distance the other players.

The only way to win is to achieve critical mass in your economy prior to the others. The mechanism to achieve this is to upgrade your HQ to level five, unlocking off-world trading rockets. Instead of making a small amount from buying and selling on the open market, you are free to shoot into space one rocket that may gain you several hundred thousand dollars, at once.

This sudden, and MASSIVE influx of cash will almost certainly allow you to buy up the price of your own stock, making you a dramatically more difficult takeover target, but it will also allow you to buy up the weakest of your opponents.

When this happens, yep, up goes another rocket, rinse, and repeat. Easy win.

I have yet to see a player that gets the first off world rocket off first lose. This game mechanic is way OP.

undercovergeek

ive watched the first 3 tutorials and havent really seen anything beyond a resource grab mechanism and then button clicking til win

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on February 14, 2015, 08:24:52 PM
ive watched the first 3 tutorials and havent really seen anything beyond a resource grab mechanism and then button clicking til win

+1. I just don't see the depth. Its like Starcraft without units and combat.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


DennisS

Quote from: undercovergeek on February 14, 2015, 08:24:52 PM
ive watched the first 3 tutorials and havent really seen anything beyond a resource grab mechanism and then button clicking til win

I am coming around to this opinion. Resource grab until you upgrade your headquarters to level 5, then build two offworld rocket ship platforms, as the I win button.

Boggit

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on February 13, 2015, 08:37:26 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 12, 2015, 05:13:36 PM
The lack of a military option is what piqued my interest; makes a nice change.

Same. Added to wish list. Will wait until it goes on sale
Ditto. I agree with JH tho' - some military options would have held more interest for me.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

undercovergeek

big write up at RPS - lots of enthusiasm