Armoured Commander Alpha [roguelike]

Started by spelk, February 13, 2015, 06:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

GJK

You've obviously got some talent as a programmer.  Have you been programming for some time?  Was Python easy enough for you to pick up or if you had to do it all over again, would you suggest a different language?

I got through the first map unscratched (we lost 1 squad to friendly fire and 1 tank in the platoon that was ambushed by a Pak38 camped in a building).  This is a really polished design.  What last few things are you looking to do or add or is it simply tracking down any remaining bugs that it may have?

And what's your next project?  :) 

Great job with this one, I'm very impressed!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rev_Sudasana

Thanks! I've been fooling around with Python for a few years. I was lucky to have tried to make a couple roguelikes before starting this one, however, so I already had some techniques in mind for how to make it happen. The roguelike library I'm using, as well as all the other libraries available for Python, make programming much easier than it used to be.

Short term I want to develop the crew into a more character-based system, where each crewman has their own traits and personality, and have them pipe up during the game. It'll hurt more when you lose one after getting to know them, but that's the nature of the job. Long term, adding more campaigns including playing as a German or Russian commander.

After that I have a couple ideas for future projects, but since this is a hobby for me it depends more on how much free time I have than anything else!

TacticalWargames

#32
When it comes to roguelikes graphics aren't really an issue for me because usually the gameplay is so deep and immersive..no graphics in a book but we still read them:)

I do however draw a line at ASCI graphics purely because it's to taxing mentally for me to work it out.

Just spent an hour or two with it..really enjoyed it.

DennisS

I played the hell out of Patton's Best, and this is a near faithful recreation of the game.

One thing I would like to see is a more robust system for awards and decorations. Besides a Purple Heart, it is very difficult to get a medal. I made a modified system, purely point based, to qualify for a decoration..and this encouraged aggressive movement and attacking to rack up the points. Good stuff!!

Edited to state that I just finished downloading this, and played the first day. The author should consider getting this on Steam...he would make a fortune!

Rev_Sudasana

Quote from: DennisS on July 27, 2015, 07:22:51 PM
I played the hell out of Patton's Best, and this is a near faithful recreation of the game.

One thing I would like to see is a more robust system for awards and decorations. Besides a Purple Heart, it is very difficult to get a medal. I made a modified system, purely point based, to qualify for a decoration..and this encouraged aggressive movement and attacking to rack up the points. Good stuff!!

Edited to state that I just finished downloading this, and played the first day. The author should consider getting this on Steam...he would make a fortune!

Thanks very much! Awards have been on my to-do list for a while now. I'm working on developing the crew system right now, so there's probably no better time to add them in.

TacticalWargames

Quote from: DennisS on July 27, 2015, 07:22:51 PM


Edited to state that I just finished downloading this, and played the first day. The author should consider getting this on Steam...he would make a fortune!

Add some more features and get us to care more for our men and I agree..would do well on Steam for the right price. Realyl does show graphics aren't everything for a wargame..immersion can be created other ways. Just like we don't need pictures in a novel..we just need something to spark the imagination.

DennisS

C'mon folks, don't let this drop down to page 12. This is a real gem of a game, easily the finest shareware game I have ever played that wasn't named Open Transport Tycoon.

Just a liiitttle better graphics, and this is a solid, exceptional game. Even now the gameplay is excellent, and like any true Grognard, I am ALLLLL about the gameplay.

Rev_Sudasana

Just a brief note that I've uploaded Beta 1.0 of Armoured Commander, meaning that the game is reasonably complete but perhaps still not free from bugs. If you haven't tried it out in a while it might be worth another try to see what's been changed and/or updated!

http://www.armouredcommander.com/

spelk

The dev posted a Quick Start video for the game here, well worth a watch..



/em looking at Rev_Sudasana... :)

Rev_Sudasana

Thanks for posting this, spelk! Working on Beta 1.3 now, hoping to improve things for new players with more highlighting of command keys and more in-game help tips.

Rev_Sudasana

Beta 2 is now available for download, major changes include a streamlined campaign calendar, and random events and missions on the campaign day map.

http://www.armouredcommander.com/

Rev_Sudasana

Beta 3 is now available for download. A couple early bugs have already been fixed, new features include the addition of a (for now, quite bare-bones) Canadian campaign, and the Sherman VC 'Firefly' tank.

http://www.armouredcommander.com/

Rev_Sudasana

The final version of Armoured Commander is complete and available for download.

GJK

Excellent!  Great job on this!  (can you work on "Carrier" next?   ^-^ )
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Quote from: Rev_Sudasana on February 17, 2016, 07:16:06 AM
The final version of Armoured Commander is complete and available for download.


Wonderful.  :)