Main Menu

GearCity

Started by Greybriar, February 20, 2015, 09:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Greybriar

While browsing some games in hopes of finding a change of pace PC game to play, I ran across GearCity. It is an Early-Access game available from Steam for $15.99 and from GamersGate & the Humble Store for $14.99 U.S.

Has anyone tried it? Is it anything like Impressions' Detroit? Would you recommend buying it in its present condition, waiting for it to become more finished, or avoiding it altogether?
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Huw the Poo

I can't help you but I'd like to say thanks for the heads-up!  It looks good doesn't it?  The top-rated review on Steam makes it sound very promising.


Greybriar

Yes, it does look good, Huw.

Thanks for posting the link to the other thread, Grim. Last June I probably read in it that GearCity was early access and promptly forgot it. After having been in the works this long, I'd guess that GearCity is very playable and that most or all of the major bugs have been fixed. The positive posts on the Steam forum make it look that way, too.

So I think I'll buy it!
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Nefaro

I'll probably wait until it's officially done but it does look interesting.

Tpek

It was on a 50% off sale not that long ago (and I got it).
Only tried the car creation mechanics a bit (didn't really like it), and decided to wait for it to be complete before trying again.

W8taminute

I bought this title last year as well and did enjoy it at the time.  It's complex enough to keep your interest.  You cannot win easily, at least I couldn't.  In fact I could barely get my company off the ground and usually went bankrupt within the first 5 years.  I haven't played much lately as I'm too distracted by other titles but Gear City is definitely a good business builder game.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

-budd-

I enjoyed it but the car builder needs some polish, of course that was a few builds ago so maybe that changed.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Eric.B

#8
Like the Candyman, say GearCity three times and I appear! :3


Quote from: Greybriar on February 20, 2015, 10:53:59 AM
Yes, it does look good, Huw.

Thanks for posting the link to the other thread, Grim. Last June I probably read in it that GearCity was early access and promptly forgot it. After having been in the works this long, I'd guess that GearCity is very playable and that most or all of the major bugs have been fixed. The positive posts on the Steam forum make it look that way, too.

So I think I'll buy it!

Most of the major crashing bugs we had in the past were ironed out. Although one or two do creep around mostly because I'm an idiot. The big issue groggies had was with the mouse. These have been resolved with the hardware mouse system. (You have to enable it your self in the settings, but in the future it will be default.)

There are also a bunch of little bugs here and there, I squash them, and then make more as I add more features. But the game is perfectly playable, I'd dare say in better shape than most first version launches of HOI games. ^,~ Although there is still a bit of work to be done.


Quote from: -budd- on February 20, 2015, 07:44:01 PM
I enjoyed it but the car builder needs some polish, of course that was a few builds ago so maybe that changed.

It still does, but it's getting a big GUI makeover for 1.18, (which is the version I'm working on now.) So that aspect of the game will be in much better shape here soon.


Anyhoo, feel free to ask me any questions, I'll pop in here periodically and check up.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Eric.B on February 20, 2015, 10:24:56 PM
But the game is perfectly playable, I'd dare say in better shape than most first version launches of HOI games. ^,~

Haha!  Them's fighting words!

Eric, thank you for supporting Linux.  I will definitely pick this one up at some point.

Greybriar

Thanks for the help, Eric. Your active personal technical support and conscientiousness were a big factor when I made the decision to purchase GearCity.  O0
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Eric.B

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 21, 2015, 04:47:47 AM
Quote from: Eric.B on February 20, 2015, 10:24:56 PM
But the game is perfectly playable, I'd dare say in better shape than most first version launches of HOI games. ^,~

Haha!  Them's fighting words!

Eric, thank you for supporting Linux.  I will definitely pick this one up at some point.

There would be no fight, if the last three were any indication, HOI4's launch build will crash like a Malaysian jetliner.

Quote from: Greybriar on February 21, 2015, 06:40:02 AM
Thanks for the help, Eric. Your active personal technical support and conscientiousness were a big factor when I made the decision to purchase GearCity.  O0

I will admit, it doesn't do well for my social life. :)  Anyhoo thank you for your patronage, I hope you enjoy the game.

Huw the Poo

This is 25% off on Steam for a week.

Cougar_DK

Glad to hear the mouse issue is taken care off. Killed the game for me since the mouse was so slow and unresponsive  O0
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

DennisS

This is an excellent game. I have played the crap out of it. Very good business sim.