Main Menu

Cities: Skylines

Started by Grim.Reaper, March 06, 2015, 07:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Huw the Poo

On my phone so can't link but look up the magic roundabout in Swindon.

JudgeDredd

Here you go...and example of British ingenuity - and how to screw with drivers heads...and totally add a mahoosive amount to what they actually have to deal with on the roads and in the cars today.


And here's one local to me (not as bad as the one above)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

GDS_Starfury

those would be nothing but accident magnets in Flori-duh.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


bboyer66

I actually was just project manager on a construction job where we put in a few roundabouts, here in Pennsylvania. They are all the rage, and all the ones previously put in have been accepted very favorably by the motoring public.

Rayfer

Quote from: bboyer66 on March 18, 2015, 06:45:04 PM
I actually was just project manager on a construction job where we put in a few roundabouts, here in Pennsylvania. They are all the rage, and all the ones previously put in have been accepted very favorably by the motoring public.

Interesting....I grew up in the southern New Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia. Circles, or roundabouts as they are being called here, were quite common and were built in the 50's and 60's.  Most all of them are gone now. They couldn't handle the increased volume and speed of more modern traffic and became rush hour nightmares and accident prone.  I imagine newer built ones are better.

Yskonyn

So its been out for a week or so. Anyone still as happy with it as when the shiny was on?
Weaknesses found?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 21, 2015, 11:08:37 AM
So its been out for a week or so. Anyone still as happy with it as when the shiny was on?
Weaknesses found?
Good question.

It's got flaws I've noticed over time, namely

  • A build up of dead people all of a sudden
  • Emptying rubbish tips do not necessarily go to your incinerator - rather annoying as what's the point of emptying one into another...why not just leave one full and build another?
  • Traffic build up - resulting in point one - dead people building up
  • Lack of information - WHY are my businesses struggling for people? I have good transport links, underground, bus lines...so WHY?
  • Why does placing your fire department/school/college/hospital etc show a green line around the road sections and yet when you actually place it, it shows happy faces from FAR FAR further

It's a great game...but it's got a new version I think to be great. Worth the money? Absolutely. Wait until v2? Up to you  ;D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

Very happy - haven't had a corpse problem yet

My only disappointment has been my own lack of imagination having just built a huge grid - aka Milton keynes - need to watch a few lets plays for some inspiration

JudgeDredd

Well I don't think my corpse issue is of my making.

I have plenty of cemetery space and they are dotted around my city. Either they are not "covering" the areas that show smiley's when I place them or they are being stuck. I have no evidiience to support either claim - expect that I suddenly had a build up of dead shit.

So I am not going to accept heat for this...yet. I've seen nothing in my city to suggest I could calm the issue. For example, building a cemetery near where one of the "dead people hotspots" exists results in absolutely zero effect

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Zulu1966

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 21, 2015, 11:08:37 AM
So its been out for a week or so. Anyone still as happy with it as when the shiny was on?
Weaknesses found?

I think its superb. You build a city that  actually looks like a city and the different neighbourhoods actually get individual character by the uniqueness of their layout. There is also a lot of depth in what you can do. Presentation is the best I have seen in a long while.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Barthheart

Still don't have the game but I'm still reading lots about it.

Here's an interesting article on the traffic system by one of the designers:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/239534/Game_Design_Deep_Dive_Traffic_systems_in_Cities_Skylines.php

undercovergeek

theres a mod now that will tell you where when and why your traffic isnt flowing properly

personally loving it, but ive read a lot of people saying their disappointed the link to roads is too heavy - you have to build on a road, next to a road, there is no ability to have a roadless, pedestrianised area

Barthheart


Barthheart


jomni

Just started playing.  First attempt quickly ended with no money.  I like the challenge compared to Sim City.
Am I right to say that maps a limited?