Victory Point Games > Sale & Soon-to-be Discontinued

Started by Nefaro, March 13, 2015, 01:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Got this in an email.

Quote
Effective 16 March 2015, we will cease to manufacture the following games. Prior to this happening, the games will go on sale for 30% off from 13 March until 16 March:

Abandon Earth
Assault on Galactus Prime plus the expansion
Dawn of the Zeds 2nd Edition *
Destined Hero
Final Frontier
The Great Divide
High and Tight
King's Critters
Loot and Scoot plus the expansion
Symmetric
Swytch
TC Tennis plus the expansion
Vie

* Will be re-launched later this year (hopefully in time for the winter holidays) in a new, 3rd edition!

Important: About a dozen wargames will also go out of manufacture later this year (probably mid-July).


Not sure which wargames are heading out.  Probably some of their older polybag stuff. 

But my big concern was Dawn of the Zeds 2nd Ed going on sale.  Been wanting to pick that up for awhile now.  However, it seems a more streamlined 3rd Edition is due out near the end of the year.  I read up on some of the changes in an article on their site and it kept mentioning how they wanted the streamlining to make it more "mainstream", so I took that to mean it could be better or worse as far as my preferences despite some of the "fiddly" stuff being addressed.  Either way, the 30% off price puts it at $39 which was enough to knock me off the fence and toss in the 3rd expansion for Darkest Night while I was there. 

O0


Some of their other stuff looks interesting but I'm not sure if it's enough for me to justify the cost compared to other offerings elsewhere.  I plan on picking up Nemo's War when the upcoming boxed edition, with proper board, is out.  I've wanted that for awhile and heard rumblings about this Deluxe version so have been patiently waiting. 

But I've eyed some of their other, smaller ones.  Didn't someone say the Napoleonic 20 series was pretty good for a hex & counter wargame without huge counter quantities?  I'm definitely avoiding large-to-huge hex & counter wargames these days, but the ones of more modest size are still up for consideration if the mechanics are interesting and not too bogged down in DRM Hell.

bayonetbrant

all of the -20 games are pretty good.  The caveat being that they're all Miranda designs.  If those bug you, steer clear.  If you're OK with Miranda, then you'll be fine.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 13, 2015, 01:55:41 PM
all of the -20 games are pretty good.  The caveat being that they're all Miranda designs.  If those bug you, steer clear.  If you're OK with Miranda, then you'll be fine.

I'm unfamiliar with the term "Miranda" regarding wargames.  Is it a system or a designer?

Staggerwing

It means the game comes with a court-appointed lawyer to help you figure out the rules.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Nefaro on March 13, 2015, 04:03:54 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 13, 2015, 01:55:41 PM
all of the -20 games are pretty good.  The caveat being that they're all Miranda designs.  If those bug you, steer clear.  If you're OK with Miranda, then you'll be fine.

I'm unfamiliar with the term "Miranda" regarding wargames.  Is it a system or a designer?

Joe Miranda - most prolific wargame designer in history

his BGG design listings span 17 pages
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/337/joseph-miranda
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

panzerde

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 13, 2015, 09:14:20 PM
It means the game comes with a court-appointed lawyer to help you figure out the rules.


:2funny:
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 13, 2015, 09:21:24 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on March 13, 2015, 04:03:54 PM


I'm unfamiliar with the term "Miranda" regarding wargames.  Is it a system or a designer?

Joe Miranda - most prolific wargame designer in history

his BGG design listings span 17 pages
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/337/joseph-miranda


Thanks!

Didn't ring a bell but I actually owned Byzantium (from an S&T issue I found dirt cheap in the 90s).  That was the only one I've seen, however.  Didn't ever get around to playing that one or any of his others IIRC.  So I'm unfamiliar with his designs.