Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown released

Started by Nefaro, April 28, 2015, 03:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

http://store.steampowered.com/app/267750/


Says it has 4-player Co-op (and single-player IIRC).  Also something about it possibly needing more balancing, so I'm guessing this is more like an open beta. 

Nevertheless, it's a Shadowrun tactical game so I cannot resist.  This may actually convince me to play a digital game again after my 3+ week hiatus.



Mother****in punk dwarf wizard with a submachinegun, here I come.  >:D



Note:  This is an Online game.

spelk

Everything is lagged out at the moment. Too many new runners apparently, the chat still ticks over but moving around in the alleyway is very click and wait and see. Also it seems to carry over in the mission instances which is a bit weird. Theres a noticably long lag between clicking the place you want your character to go to, and then it actually going there, or firing your gun, or slashing your sword. Can be like a 5 second wait at times between click and action! Very odd. What could they be tracking in every instance online, that would slow it all down because of the number of players connected?

Anyway, it looks like a slightly chunkier version of Shadowrun Returns. Less chit chat. Only an actual chat box with bibblers drooging on.

Nefaro

Quote from: spelk on April 28, 2015, 03:32:03 PM
Everything is lagged out at the moment. Too many new runners apparently, the chat still ticks over but moving around in the alleyway is very click and wait and see. Also it seems to carry over in the mission instances which is a bit weird. Theres a noticably long lag between clicking the place you want your character to go to, and then it actually going there, or firing your gun, or slashing your sword. Can be like a 5 second wait at times between click and action! Very odd. What could they be tracking in every instance online, that would slow it all down because of the number of players connected?

Anyway, it looks like a slightly chunkier version of Shadowrun Returns. Less chit chat. Only an actual chat box with bibblers drooging on.


Sounds like server overload.  Everyone jumping in at once.  The usual problems with online game releases.  >:(

spelk

#3
Just been back on, and it doesn't seem as bad as it was earlier. If you manage to get on, add me as a friend I'm "Fade" on there. An elven ex-sniper girl. :)


RooksBailey

I am definitely getting this game at some point.  I want to finish Dragonfall first.  I figure Boston will make a good game to play while I await the release of Hong Kong. 

I have a plan.  Now I just need to stick to it.   :)

BTW:  those of you who jumped: does this look like it will have lots of replayability?  I desperately want a Shadowrun game like Frozen Synapse where I can look forward to an endless supply of missions to run. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro

Quote from: RooksBailey on April 28, 2015, 04:12:01 PM
I am definitely getting this game at some point.  I want to finish Dragonfall first.  I figure Boston will make a good game to play while I await the release of Hong Kong. 

I have a plan.  Now I just need to stick to it.   :)

BTW:  those of you who jumped: does this look like it will have lots of replayability?  I desperately want a Shadowrun game like Frozen Synapse where I can look forward to an endless supply of missions to run.


This one used to be named Shadowrun Online.  It's the same game, meant for online co-op.  So it's more action oriented than the other ones.   

I believe the missions are randomly generated to some extent, but I don't know for sure.



Quote from: spelk on April 28, 2015, 03:48:55 PM
Just been back on, and it doesn't seem as bad as it was earlier. If you manage to get on, add me as a friend I'm "Fade" on there. An elven ex-sniper girl. :)


I check the forum earlier.  They were having a server issue but it's been reportedly fixed.  I wouldn't be surprised if they did end up getting some server overload in the next few days since the IP is pretty popular.

Will add you once I'm up and running.

Nefaro

Still rather laggy.  Dunno if I'll put much time in during primetime tonight if it's gonna be so crowded.


Added "Fade" to friend list.  Mine is "Nefaro".

Tpek

I've decided to play a sexy deadly chick rather than the usual badass-guy in this one.
Specializing in Swords&Automatics.

Too bad you can no longer replay old missions to grind for XP and money :(

BanzaiCat

Quote from: RooksBailey on April 28, 2015, 04:12:01 PM
I want to finish Dragonfall first.

I s-u-c-k at Dragonfall. I have the Director's Cut and can't get through the 'final' confrontation on the initial stage...you know, the gun battle in the basement of the mansion you enter. I must have tried 20 times and kept getting my ass kicked; the closest I came to winning was being mere steps from the elevator and having some AI arsehole shoot me in the back and do me in. So, so frustrating. Though I haven't uninstalled it yet...I really want to get through it.

spelk

Well its as laggy as hell now, and I've been kicked out of it, because of server shutdown - so things are not going well at the moment. Was ok earlier on today when I had a quick squizz to see if the lag had been sorted, but it must just be down to the numbers of players I guess. Ho Hum.

Nefaro


Tpek


undercovergeek

Quote from: Nefaro on April 29, 2015, 02:40:59 PM
Stinkypinky the Dwarf Summoner  ^-^





before i look at spending the cash - is this an expansion or dlc chaps?

do i need to play the predecessor first for lore and flavour and all that?

Nefaro

#13
Quote from: undercovergeek on April 29, 2015, 03:35:24 PM

before i look at spending the cash - is this an expansion or dlc chaps?

do i need to play the predecessor first for lore and flavour and all that?


This is what used to be named Shadowrun Online.  It's not like the other two single-player RPGs released in the past couple years, although it's the same IP.

You have to log in and play online.  It has co-operative and single-player modes.  Turn-based tactical RPG combat similar to those single-player RPGs (or the new X-Com) but it seems to have a bit more character upgrade options, not much to the story. 

It's been pretty laggy with so many people playing at primetime.  Which won't screw you up too much, since it's a turn-based game, but it can still be annoying waiting for your commands to go through. 


The missions are pretty straightforward.. kill stuff, open something and/or escape.  I've already put hours into it but I love the IP.

The only thing you really need to know about SCBL is if you use one of the two magic classes (Summoner and Mage?), you DO NOT want to install cyberware because they have Essence penalties.  Which means it lowers your spellpower.  Most of it is rather simplified typical RPG stuff - it's still dumbed down from the tabletop RPG.

spelk

My Blademaiden Hacker, Desani.



It's still as lagged to buggery, makes for a painful game experience, when your single player + AI henchman game, has to pipe all its data through a overfull server and it takes 10 seconds between clicking an action, and it playing out on screen! :(

I hope it gets sorted before my interest wanes... plus I'm not keen on only having 3 character slots. I want to make a Troll and an Ork and a Dwarf etc.. as well as scantily clad lady warriors.