Whatever Happened To Game Demos?

Started by Ian C, May 14, 2015, 01:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ian C

Forgive me if this sounds like a whine, but as a middle-aged gamer this is my right ;)

Why don't companies release demos any more? Why do I have to take a chance and gamble every time a new game is released?  Even after positive reviews, after five minutes of play when I realise it's not my kind of game I'm screwed because of the No Refund policy.

This is kind of an underhanded cheat from the companies. They know they are assured a sale with people who would not ordinarily buy the game if they had experienced play and decided its not for them. They have withdrawn the chance for people to sample before purchase, and this is a stinky passive rip-off tactic.

"Dude, you should have read all the reviews and watched Youtube" does not cut it, because it's no substitute for hands-on gameplay.



Jarhead0331

They do release demos...they just call them early access and charge for them.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


undercovergeek

I think you answered your own question - a demo lets you see what you're getting before paying your hard earned

No demo means you give the dev his money whether you like it or not

WallysWorld

There are definitely a lot less demos now than there were a few years ago. Too bad as playing the demo most of the time convinced me to buy the game instead of now just waiting for other people's comments.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 14, 2015, 01:52:24 PM
They do release demos...they just call them early access and charge for them.

  I think the idea of finishing a game has gotten a little iffy from the development point of view.  Early Access gives you some idea of what the game is like at least.

bbmike

And good game manuals. Don't forget to ask what happened to those as well.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

fabius

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 14, 2015, 01:54:10 PM
I think you answered your own question - a demo lets you see what you're getting before paying your hard earned

No demo means you give the dev his money whether you like it or not

This!

I read some quoted research that Demos actually reduce sales.

I think the psychology is that until we actually play the darn things we can project all kind of potential aspirations onto them.

Cyrano

Fabius nailed it.  I can think of no demo that convinced me to buy a game that I was ambivalent about.  They typically gave me just enough of the game that my ADHD head could convince itself that I could live without them and move on to the next squirrel.

There were even some demos that convinced me I did not want a game.

Besides, remember, we're lucky to be a niche market over here in PC land.  Consoles rule the world and you get just about nothing vis-a-vis demos from those folks.  "Sixty bucks m-er f-er or you ain't cool no more.  Oh, princess wants a DEMO?  F you."

Manuals were a thing of a different time, I honestly don't miss them much.

I just wish we could get a piece of that sweet, sweet secondary market action the console gamers get through GameStop and the like.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

MikeGER

...i have to confess that i my case somehow (missing) demos had been replaced by good "Let's Play"-video series (not trailers, reviews, or short AARs)

and sometimes actually with the effect Fabius and Cyrano described.
i have seen some hours of gameplay and the urge to get the game NOW! somehow had disappeared ...and it may went on the wishlist, and maybe i get it on the (over)next Steam sale, if a certain threshold in price reduction is reached.... or never.
       

Nefaro

I occasionally see a Demo available for something on Steam these days, but it's usually one of the simpler or one of the genres that aren't quite my preference.

Gusington

JH took the words right out of my mouth. Now get off my lawn.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 14, 2015, 01:52:24 PM
They do release demos...they just call them early access and charge for them.

This.

SirAndrewD

Demos? I just had a flashback to the old PC Gamer Disk with Coconut Monkey.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Cyrano

Coconut MONKEY!!!

A most excellent get, sirrah!

"I would gladly hug you...but I have no arms..."



Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Rayfer

Quote from: MikeGER on May 14, 2015, 04:31:30 PM
...i have to confess that i my case somehow (missing) demos had been replaced by good "Let's Play"-video series (not trailers, reviews, or short AARs)

and sometimes actually with the effect Fabius and Cyrano described.
i have seen some hours of gameplay and the urge to get the game NOW! somehow had disappeared ...and it may went on the wishlist, and maybe i get it on the (over)next Steam sale, if a certain threshold in price reduction is reached.... or never.
       

Never looked at it that way MG, but it's that way for me too...I often watch let's play vids on youtube as if they were demos.