Main Menu

Competent AI in WitE

Started by ArizonaTank, May 15, 2015, 11:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ArizonaTank

Shout out to the WitE AI for keeping me from lazy playing...

Its early July 41, and my 3rd Panzer Group, running far ahead of the infantry, tries to run into Smolensk.  I am so jaded by flaky AI, that I push out a precarious spear thrust...thinking the AI will leave it alone, and maybe even retreat.

Instead, the AI does what I would expect a human opponent to do, it catches my spear thrust, attacks the flanks and almost surrounds it.  Anyway, now my tanks are sucking vapors...and can barely move.  So rather than a triumphant victory parade in Smolensk, I have an inglorious rescue mission.  Any other good AI stories from this wonderful game?

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sir Slash

Not from WitE but very similar to what the AI in DC Case Blue did to me in the 1st Panzer Army campaign. I push through the AI Russians and with only a couple of turns left I rush my mobile units ahead to grab the Vic. locations, leaving the Russkies in my dust and then they cut in between my foot units and the panzers, cutting-off all my forward units supply. Leaving them with zero action points until the Ground-Pounders can cut a route through to them. Battle loss. This wouldn't be so bad but it's about the 4th time they've done it to me. Or the AI will grab one little nothing town and hang on to it leaving me one point short of a win.  :tickedoff: Very good AI in this game.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

fabius

Love the map look. That and positive vibes about the AI tempt me for this.

Have my hands full with DC at the mo' but this may be on Steam sale one day  :-\

Marty Ward

I never could get into WitE enough to appreciate the AI but the Unity of Command series has a killer AI. I think it is as close to a human as you can find.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Marty Ward on May 15, 2015, 03:00:23 PM
but the Unity of Command series has a killer AI. I think it is as close to a human as you can find.

In Unity of Command you learn through pain.

ALWAYS keep your lines tied-in.
ALWAYS keep a reserve force.

fabius

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on May 15, 2015, 04:30:36 PM
Quote from: Marty Ward on May 15, 2015, 03:00:23 PM
but the Unity of Command series has a killer AI. I think it is as close to a human as you can find.

In Unity of Command you learn through pain.

ALWAYS keep your lines tied-in.
ALWAYS keep a reserve force.

I really enjoy games that reward keeping a reserve, breakthroughs and rear penetration.

jomni

Look at that "carpet" of Russian troops!!! 

Nefaro

Quote from: fabius on May 15, 2015, 04:44:13 PM


I really enjoy games that reward keeping a reserve, breakthroughs and rear penetration.


TMI!  TMI!

Freyland

Quote
I really enjoy games that reward ....rear penetration.
And now we know you a bit too well.

panzerde

Quote from: fabius on May 15, 2015, 04:44:13 PM

I really enjoy games that reward keeping a reserve, breakthroughs and rear penetration.

Well, that's going in someone's sig...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Freyland

Perhaps the thread title should be modified to "The War in the South".

Sir Slash

I ALWAYS keep a reserve just in case somebody tries a rear penetration. If you've had it happen to you once, you never forget it. Especially if they didn't send you flowers afterward. Or call.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

I'm currently playing as the Axis in my alternate campaign.  It's July of '42 and my summer offensive is finally starting.  I lost the whole month of May and the first two weeks of June because of 'General Mud'.   >:(

Now that my offensive is in full gear I noticed that the Russian ai is acting pretty smartly.  Like you AT, I tried to push two panzer divisions and one motorized division ahead of my lines.  Just before I hit the next turn button something told me to try to get some infantry divisions as far out as possible to act as back up in case my spearhead got cut off.  I'm glad I did that because sure enough the ai cut off my vanguard.  Luckily his lines were thin where they needed to be and I rescued my men.  I had to airlift some supplies in before the rescue mission just in case I could not get to the cut off panzers.  The ai did a pretty good job though.  If I had been playing against a human my small panzer spearhead would have been destroyed for sure. 

WitE is definitely a great game.  I shudder to think what would happen if I faced a human opponent. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

jomni

Quote from: W8taminute on May 15, 2015, 10:30:04 PM
I'm currently playing as the Axis in my alternate campaign.  It's July of '42 and my summer offensive is finally starting.  I lost the whole month of May and the first two weeks of June because of 'General Mud'.   >:(

Now that my offensive is in full gear I noticed that the Russian ai is acting pretty smartly.  Like you AT, I tried to push two panzer divisions and one motorized division ahead of my lines.  Just before I hit the next turn button something told me to try to get some infantry divisions as far out as possible to act as back up in case my spearhead got cut off.  I'm glad I did that because sure enough the ai cut off my vanguard.  Luckily his lines were thin where they needed to be and I rescued my men.  I had to airlift some supplies in before the rescue mission just in case I could not get to the cut off panzers.  The ai did a pretty good job though.  If I had been playing against a human my small panzer spearhead would have been destroyed for sure. 

WitE is definitely a great game.  I shudder to think what would happen if I faced a human opponent.

Makes me want to play this game again.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: W8taminute on May 15, 2015, 10:30:04 PM
I'm currently playing as the Axis in my alternate campaign.  It's July of '42 and my summer offensive is finally starting.  I lost the whole month of May and the first two weeks of June because of 'General Mud'.   >:(

Now that my offensive is in full gear I noticed that the Russian ai is acting pretty smartly.  Like you AT, I tried to push two panzer divisions and one motorized division ahead of my lines.  Just before I hit the next turn button something told me to try to get some infantry divisions as far out as possible to act as back up in case my spearhead got cut off.  I'm glad I did that because sure enough the ai cut off my vanguard.  Luckily his lines were thin where they needed to be and I rescued my men.  I had to airlift some supplies in before the rescue mission just in case I could not get to the cut off panzers.  The ai did a pretty good job though.  If I had been playing against a human my small panzer spearhead would have been destroyed for sure. 

WitE is definitely a great game.  I shudder to think what would happen if I faced a human opponent.

Yes, I am glad I am not playing a human either.  I tried that a few times, and had a very hard time of it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.