Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by steve58, June 01, 2015, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bob48

Quote from: endfire79 on September 16, 2015, 07:26:34 PM
Pick up a Raspberry Pi Bob.  I've worked with a 50 year old in Cornwall (with a giant handlebar moustache) who got familiar with Linux using one in a few weeks.

Is that anything like a Cornish Pasty?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Quote from: bob48 on September 17, 2015, 06:22:52 AM
Quote from: endfire79 on September 16, 2015, 07:26:34 PM
Pick up a Raspberry Pi Bob.  I've worked with a 50 year old in Cornwall (with a giant handlebar moustache) who got familiar with Linux using one in a few weeks.

Is that anything like a Cornish Pasty?

Would you like a job in IT, Bob?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

endfire79

Quote from: bob48 on September 17, 2015, 06:22:52 AM
Quote from: endfire79 on September 16, 2015, 07:26:34 PM
Pick up a Raspberry Pi Bob.  I've worked with a 50 year old in Cornwall (with a giant handlebar moustache) who got familiar with Linux using one in a few weeks.

Is that anything like a Cornish Pasty?

Interesting comparison.  We'd have to slap a tax on Raspberry Pi's and see if everyone in Cornwall goes up in arms protesting though.
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

bob48

It would certainly have an adverse effect on the Cornish Double Cream Tea industry :-(
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Con

So after two days of being on Windows 10 I went back and reinstalled Windows 7.  I didtn mind Windows 10 looked Ok thought it was an improvement but there was a killer bug for me.

Windows 10 disconnected my gateway router at random intervals.  I was forced to physically reset the router a couple of times every hour or so.  I went online and tech support and found that this is a known issue with some users with Windows 10.  There can be many causes and the bottom line is the forums are filled with many different types of fixes.  I tried the most common didnt fix my issue.  After reinstalling Windows 7 last night my internet connection has been rock steady.  Since I work from home a fair amount I can't afford to have intermittent internet it was a no-brainer for me to stay on Windows 7.

Con
PS Hunting down all the tech forums I did get diverted onto a couple of excellent sites on building your own gaming rig.  Mine is 6 years old with an upgrade on graphics card and SSD drive I did 2 years ago.  Now I am thinking of building my own and taking those components and putting them in it.  Have to start laying the ground work with the wife on this!

Bison

6 year old gaming rig?  Wow much kudos for holding out this long to upgrade.

DoctorQuest

I am going to hold out to closer to the one year deadline. I was disappointed hearing from my PC guy at work that I can't build a separate partition for Windows 10. It must be installed over top of my windows 7 install. 

I do want to get my daughters machine off of Windows 8 at some point. I think I'll let the rest of the world debug Win 10 for a bit longer.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Con

Not sure if you were in sarcastic mode or not there? 

I bought a high end gaming rig Alienware in 2010 years ago.  I do a lot of work from home (but lets be honest its more for playing games).  The computer still runs well but I am tapped out for USB ports, it doesn't have USB 3.0.  Its maxed out for power and i cant get a faster memory for it.  The motherboard has no more PCI slots available and the liquid cooling system is beginning to make noises (alarming ones) when I run games on it during the hot summer months.  So adding all this together gives me a thin veener of justification when talking with the wife to ask if I can get a new one by the end of this year.  Might just be wishful thinking though

Con

Bison

#159
No sarcasm.  I'm serious.  I think the longest I ever kept a computer was 4 years and by that point the cost of upgrades just lead me to buy a new computer.  That being said my current one is coming up on 3 years and I think I'm going to upgrade the gpu and up the ram to 16 GB.  That should keep me going for another couple of years.  Maybe there isn't as big of a disparity between computer components separated by several generations as it was 10 years ago.

Bison

I'm also going to work the new computer angle too.  It never hurts to start laying the groundwork out well in advance.

I like to browse computer sites, when I know the wife will see it.  It gives her the cue to start with the "you want a new computer don't you?" conversation.  I'm all about subtly.

Con

I am as subtle as a 2 by 4 smacked between your eyes when it comes to talking computers with my wife.  What I need is unassailable logic along the lines of
I will be able to look after the kids more if I work from home but the old computer is preventing me from doing this
If I get a more powerful computer I can finally edit the 100 000 photos of the kids
I can now get the sex scenes in witcher 3 to display in HD...Hmm that might not be the best argument!

Con

Bison

I love using the logic of "I cannot perform this work thing with my current computer too."  Of course she knows it about games.

Boggit

Quote from: endfire79 on September 12, 2015, 03:57:57 PM
Quote from: Boggit on September 12, 2015, 09:31:05 AM
Quote from: steve58 on September 12, 2015, 08:33:07 AM
Quote from: mirth on September 10, 2015, 11:28:32 AM
You might have Windows 10 even if you didn't ask for it

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2425381/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case

Yup, got a 4+GB hidden directory on my HD.   I knew it was there since I use FreeCommander (love the dual panes) as my Windows Explorer with the Show Hidden Files/Directories turned on.  Still debating about giving Windows 10 a go, but nothing I read anymore makes me want to take that step...yet.  I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.  My feeling is that Microsoft, with Windows 10 being "their last Windows OS" and it being free (for now), has some big Gotcha planned down the road that users are not going to like at all...
Pretty much my assessment at this point in time. I'm VERY uncomfortable about committing to a 1 way ticket with no clear end destination that W10 seems to offer. Anyway, I'm quite happy with Win 7, and it ain't broke!

Boggit, it's not a 1 way ticket.   You can revert back to 7 or 8 if you want.  If you want to play it safe, create a system image first and a file backup to an external drive with your existing Windows (this can be scheduled easily). I would create a windows system repair disk (on dvd, then put it on a usb) to help with the restore when you're in a pinch. You can use other backup utilities, but after using Backup/restore on Win 7 & Server 2008, I haven't felt the need.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2960692/windows/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-go-back-to-windows-7-or-8.html.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/
Thanks Endfire :), I appreciate you finding those links for me. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Bison

Boggit I had huge issues with my Win 10 install, so I had to do a reimage back to Win 7.  The point is not to scare you.  However I was told very clearly by a tech support I trust that the best way to deal with a Win 10 install is over a fresh install of Win 7/8.  Don't install anything but the required updates and do a force Win 10 install BEFORE you install any other programs on the same drive.