Star Trek: Starfleet Command Gold Edition now available at GOG

Started by Martok, June 02, 2015, 03:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Johnnie

Just purchased but I can't seem to run it.  After a minute or two, I get a "program stopped working" message.  Running in various compatibility modes doesn't seem to help.  I'm on a losing streak with respect to running old games.  Anyone?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 02, 2015, 07:45:27 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 02, 2015, 07:00:29 PM
I'm going to hold on for SFC2.  I never actually played that one. 

Got great memories of SFC1 though.  Lost my virginity the night I purchased the game to a hot Italian girl visiting me from Long Island.  Didn't get to install or play it for a few days since she had most of my attention.

Long Island? What's her name? I'm in Suffolk County.

Brigette B.  Great gal and still a good friend. A gentleman does not tell tales out of school, so the last name will remain under wraps.  She now lives in Lawrence Kansas of all places.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Nefaro

Quote from: Johnnie on June 02, 2015, 07:56:10 PM
Just purchased but I can't seem to run it.  After a minute or two, I get a "program stopped working" message.  Running in various compatibility modes doesn't seem to help.  I'm on a losing streak with respect to running old games.  Anyone?

*shrug*

I've not played SFC1 since SFC2 came out back around 2000.  :-\

Dammit Carl!

SC: Orion Pirates plus the mod that makes your ships look like they should (i.e. Feds get round engine nacelles, etc.) is the only way to fly.

Starfleet Command was the first game to prompt me to purchase computer upgrades so I could have a better time with it; love Star Trek, I do.

Glad to see it available again.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Johnnie on June 02, 2015, 07:56:10 PM
Just purchased but I can't seem to run it.  After a minute or two, I get a "program stopped working" message.  Running in various compatibility modes doesn't seem to help.  I'm on a losing streak with respect to running old games.  Anyone?

Did you run the config.exe program in the main folder and set your screen resolution?

If that fails, try deleting the sfc.ini file and restart.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Martok

Hopefully he won't mind my doing so in public here, but a big "thank you!" to Staggerwing for his gifting to me a copy of this game.  I already knew you were a good guy; this merely reinforces that.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Martok on June 03, 2015, 12:45:57 PM
Hopefully he won't mind my doing so in public here, but a big "thank you!" to Staggerwing for his gifting to me a copy of this game.  I already knew you were a good guy; this merely reinforces that.  :)

:'( That's beautiful, man......
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

BanzaiCat

I have this game in my cart in GOG Galaxy.

I also added AI War Complete and Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete.

I just need an excuse to pull the trigger, man.

:buck2:

Martok

You don't need an excuse, just permission.  I'm happy to give it to you.  ;) 




DoctorQuest:  Yes it is.  :smitten: 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Martok on June 03, 2015, 04:14:32 PM
You don't need an excuse, just permission.  I'm happy to give it to you.  ;) 

About time. I've been waitin' over here.

BanzaiCat

Well, shit. Bought all three but Star Trek won't install. It keeps telling me "game not supported." What the hell is that crap?

EDIT: nvm, looks like it's not supported by Galaxy. Well, that's still pretty stupid that I can buy it through Galaxy but I can't download/play it through there.

steve58

Quote from: Nefaro on June 02, 2015, 06:48:07 PM
Quote from: steve58 on June 02, 2015, 06:19:55 PM
...this thread is making me want to dig out my copy of SFC 2.

I've not tried to use my old disk for SFC2:EAW but I hear that it's disk check DRM (and possibly other stuff) screws up on Win7/8 64-bit systems for many people. 

That digital download of SFC2:OP works fine for me, however.  Only a serial number entry DRM.  OP was just EAW re-released with some software updates and extra features.  Those must've helped it's compatibility on our modern OSes.

Wish I could find my SFC2:EAW manual.  That thing was excellent.  Back when they gave you thick manuals.  :)  The PDF is easy to find but I'm a Book Sniffer.

:)  Well, my CDs loaded up just fine.  Entered the serial number code, ran the setup and its running great.  Poked around the internetz and updated it to SFC2:EAW 2036...never picked up the Orion Pirates addition it seems :(. Just playing with the tutorials so far, but its running on my Win 7 Pro 64-bit  O0

...any mods I should try to pick up??

p.s. ...and yeah, I've still got my original SFC:EAW manual.  Things gotta weigh in at 4-5 pounds easy >:D
Actually just weighed it and it comes in at ~13.75 ounces.  Its actually a book, a real book (~5.5-inches x 8-inches)...ah, for the good old days of REAL manuals/user guides, with a type size that you can actually read!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Can someone please explain the differences between all the SFC2 games? There seem to be a few of them. Empires at war, Orion pirates, community development? What is the one to get? I know I've had them all in the past, but I just don't remember.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 03, 2015, 02:34:51 PM
I have this game in my cart in GOG Galaxy.

I also added AI War Complete and Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete.

I just need an excuse to pull the trigger, man.

:buck2:

I just picked up HoMM3 Complete on the off chance I may actually play it eventually.  It's reportedly still superior to the HD remake because the latter is missing some of the content, notably including the random map generator & such.