Sarkozy concedes French presidential election...

Started by Staggerwing, May 06, 2012, 01:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Centurion40 on May 08, 2012, 09:47:44 AM
Quote from: Gusington on May 08, 2012, 09:45:48 AM
I was reading up on Hollande because I also knew nothing about him and he wants to increase spending through construction of housing, hiring teachers, police officers and similar programs. So he is definitely not thinking 'austerity.'

Is he planning on borrowing the money or raising taxes?

The answer is probably: "yes."  :)

Do note, Sarkozy hit French academia hard, cutting a lot of programs that made researching and publishing in France (particularly if you were French) much easier (Britain has similar programs). Before the cuts, French academia, particularly in the social sciences, was one of the best in the world - major publication projects, historical document preservation and examination, etc. So Hollande is probably not planning on "adding" anything, but rather returning things to the Ante-Sarkozy levels. I think Sarkozy also cut housing and police, but I don't remember.

Not that you all care about French academic funding. Just the part of French fiscal structure I know about.

"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Thanks, SoM. That helps us understand the context of spending changes - at least with regard to those programs.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: LongBlade on May 08, 2012, 12:01:30 PM
Thanks, SoM. That helps us understand the context of spending changes - at least with regard to those programs.

Sarkozy was as fiscally conservative as France tends to get. That sat well with ~49% of the population, but clearly not with 51%. The election was close, so Hollande doesn't exactly have a mandate or anything. On the other hand, the French president has a LOT more power than the US one.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Centurion40

I figured (not that pay attention to French politics) that Sarkozy was more the type to increase the size of the police.

Any time is a good time for pie.

Hartford688

Quote from: son_of_montfort on May 08, 2012, 12:25:31 PM

That sat well with ~49% of the population, but clearly not with 51%. The election was close, so Hollande doesn't exactly have a mandate or anything.


Doesn't being elected, even at 51%, mean he has a mandate?

LongBlade

Quote from: Hartford688 on May 08, 2012, 01:35:18 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on May 08, 2012, 12:25:31 PM

That sat well with ~49% of the population, but clearly not with 51%. The election was close, so Hollande doesn't exactly have a mandate or anything.


Doesn't being elected, even at 51%, mean he has a mandate?

"Mandate" comes form Chinese emperors who supposedly had the backing of heaven. Today the word implies not just a slight majority, but an overwhelming backing. If he'd received 70% of the vote he'd have a mandate.

Or, in American elections, if a President is elected and also sweeps into power with large majorities in both houses it's called a Mandate. Obama more or less had one in 08, but by the 2010 elections had clearly lost it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Hartford688

#21
OK, over here in UK it means elected.

2 the authority to carry out a policy, regarded as given by the electorate to a party or candidate that wins an election

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/mandate?view=uk

Comes from Latin, not China, mind you.

LongBlade

I don't doubt the word's Latin origins, but for some context of my comment...

QuoteThe Mandate of Heaven is a well-accepted and popular idea among the people of China, as it argues for the removal of incompetent or despotic rulers, and provided an incentive for rulers to rule well and justly. The concept is often invoked by philosophers and scholars in ancient China as a way to curtail the abuse of power by the ruler, in a system that otherwise offered no other check to this power. The Mandate of Heaven had no time limitations, instead depending on the just and able performance of the ruler. In the past, times of poverty and natural disasters were taken as signs that heaven considered the incumbent ruler unjust and thus in need of replacement.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandate_of_Heaven
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Hartford688

Quote from: LongBlade on May 08, 2012, 02:48:53 PM
I don't doubt the word's Latin origins, but for some context of my comment...

QuoteThe Mandate of Heaven is a well-accepted and popular idea among the people of China, as it argues for the removal of incompetent or despotic rulers, and provided an incentive for rulers to rule well and justly. The concept is often invoked by philosophers and scholars in ancient China as a way to curtail the abuse of power by the ruler, in a system that otherwise offered no other check to this power. The Mandate of Heaven had no time limitations, instead depending on the just and able performance of the ruler. In the past, times of poverty and natural disasters were taken as signs that heaven considered the incumbent ruler unjust and thus in need of replacement.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandate_of_Heaven

Indeed. And you mean by it re Hollande? I guess the best fit is that the poor condition of the French economy signified the removal of the mandate from Sarkozy..."times of poverty and  [financial] disaster"...

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Centurion40 on May 08, 2012, 12:27:56 PM
I figured (not that pay attention to French politics) that Sarkozy was more the type to increase the size of the police.

He probably did... but paid them less. Apparently he was that type of guy.  ;)

Hartford, I was meaning mandate from the US Political Science 101 perspective (i.e. not a very exact definition). LB hit what I meant. I'm always shocked at the voter turnout numbers and the close margins of victory in France. Wish we had that more in the US.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Hartford688

Quote from: son_of_montfort on May 08, 2012, 11:38:10 PM
Quote from: Centurion40 on May 08, 2012, 12:27:56 PM
I figured (not that pay attention to French politics) that Sarkozy was more the type to increase the size of the police.

He probably did... but paid them less. Apparently he was that type of guy.  ;)

Hartford, I was meaning mandate from the US Political Science 101 perspective (i.e. not a very exact definition). LB hit what I meant. I'm always shocked at the voter turnout numbers and the close margins of victory in France. Wish we had that more in the US.

Sorry, I was being a pedantic ass. Had just heard on TV a few minutes earlier about some part of the  Amazon forest being decimated, 80-90% destroyed...brought the tedious nitpicker roaring out.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Hartford688 on May 09, 2012, 12:45:13 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on May 08, 2012, 11:38:10 PM
Quote from: Centurion40 on May 08, 2012, 12:27:56 PM
I figured (not that pay attention to French politics) that Sarkozy was more the type to increase the size of the police.

He probably did... but paid them less. Apparently he was that type of guy.  ;)

Hartford, I was meaning mandate from the US Political Science 101 perspective (i.e. not a very exact definition). LB hit what I meant. I'm always shocked at the voter turnout numbers and the close margins of victory in France. Wish we had that more in the US.

Sorry, I was being a pedantic ass. Had just heard on TV a few minutes earlier about some part of the  Amazon forest being decimated, 80-90% destroyed...brought the tedious nitpicker roaring out.

As opposed to cutting down every tenth tree? It's one of my pet peeves as well but apparently even some dictionaries offer both definitions now. :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

pawelj

The election results in France and Greece mean that holidays on the continent are going to be cheaper, as Euro's value depreciates. I'm expecting £1 = E1.35 by August. Anyone holding Euros dump em ASAP.
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

Hartford688

Quote from: pawelj on May 11, 2012, 04:36:25 AM
The election results in France and Greece mean that holidays on the continent are going to be cheaper, as Euro's value depreciates. I'm expecting £1 = E1.35 by August. Anyone holding Euros dump em ASAP.

Or a Greek exit could even make it appreciate...get rid of dead weight...who knows...what an exciting year. Again.